Tuesday, June 12, 2007

My blogging story

I see there's something cool going around the blogosphere so I'm a day late but who's counting. Chilihead (?) is hosting this blogging carnival where you tell your blog story.

How did you start blogging?
I'd already been blogging on a business blog and I felt like I wanted a place to be private about infertility and other work stuff. I mean, we all know the Dooce story, right?!

So off I went to blogger and made another blog.

Did you intend to be a blog w/a big following?
Ha ha ha

Now that I've picked myself up off the floor :), this blog has always been a private place for me. A place to get out the thousand and one thoughts flying around my head about infertility and if I'm cursed to not have a child...

There are about 3 people that visit here and of course, it would be nice to be in a bigger community but that was never the focus of this blog. On the others, yes.

I do want to start reaching out more but I'm sort-of stuck in the middle because we know we've had the infertility diagnosis but we haven't gone the expensive, medical route yet. I think that's why I keep reading Boho - she's probably the only person I know online who is also not pursuing IVF. And I'm saying yet - I don't know what next month or the month after that will hold. This is a step-by-step thing.

If so, how did you go about it?
See above.

What do you hope to achieve or accomplish with your blog? Have you been successful? If not, do you have a plan to achieve those goals?
My goal was to have a private place to vent and get cheap therapy. That has worked.

Now, my goal is to reach out more to other people. The best plan I think is to start participating in memes and reading more infertile blogs.

Has the focus of your blog changed since you started blogging? How?
No, not really.

What do you know now that you wish you'd known when you started?
That people can be amazingly supportive and on the flip side, that people can be really hurtful (not to me - I'm just saying)

Do you make money with your blog?
Um, no. Totally not interested.

Does your immediate or extended family know about your blog? If so, do they read it? If not, why?
No, I tell no-one about this blog. I know that some people who read the other blog know/ guess about this one but I have not told anyone.

What two pieces of advice would you give to a new blogger?
  1. Know why you want to blog so that you're not distracted by the information overload in the blogosphere. I get the feeling that lots of bloggers try to "copy" others and that does not work. You have to remain true to your own voice and your own style.
  2. Don't get obsessed by the stats, comments, etc. Keep your life in balance. At the end of the day, your real relationships are what matter.

3 comments:

  1. Leigh- thanks for stopping by my blog and the well wishes!! I am adding your blog to my reader list so you can count one more reader!

    On the infertilty topic, man, I've been on both sides now. I had my son 4 years ago after trying for (two!) cycles. Not kidding... and then the last couple of years since have been nothing but heartache and miscarriages for me.

    But we press on. Much luck to you, I'll be lurking and reading if you don't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh,
    Thank you for your blog. I hear you about liking the anonymous factor! I have an infertility blog, but I made it private because I didn't want everyone I knew to be able to read it. I wasn't smart enough to just start a separate account that was anonymous... Anyway, lately I have been feeling like I would like to connect with other women who are struggling with infertility. I found you through this meme and your blog resonated with me. I will probably hang out reading your blog more in the future, if you decide to keep blogging. I have given you permission to my infertility blog, if you would like to read it and get to know me better. If not, take care. I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, I would love to connect with you more - I'm coming on over!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails