Sunday, September 11, 2011

Meeting Louisa... and the weekend recap

Louisa and I decided to meet bright and early (well, for me) at 9:30 on Saturday morning.

Let me tell you, I'm glad we made it a morning meet-up because it was HOT.

So hot I was very quickly reminded why I actually don't like summer and I even wrote a list in my "30 days of lists" book so I never forget.

Some things on that list - headaches, fat fingers and toes, and sweat :)

We went to Bambanani - I LOVE IT THERE because of the very safe play area and the very helpful staff - and it's not too far. It's like going to work, but carrying on for a while longer.
I've always had a love affair with Melville.
Kind-of like Parkhurst.
Slightly hippyish and bohemian - I think because both those suburbs remind me of my youth in Grahamstown (D and I studied and met at Rhodes - the BEST university EVER :)). The last time we drove around Melville I said to D, "we really MUST move to Melville".
He said, "are you really a Melville person or do you want to be a Melville person?" Hmmm. Although they do seem like suburbs Rhodes people go when they're grown up :) Am I mad?!
She saw us immediately and thankfully, had snagged a table right next to the kids' play area so it was easy to keep an eye on them.

Louisa is just as she appears on the blog - down-to-earth, no-nonsense and a straight shooter!

I also love how you closed Nicola's ears when you swore that one time, Louisa - it is SO CUTE. 

Speaking of cute, Nicola is totally adorable.And has more hair on one half of her head than both my kids' together :)

Connor came to me and said, "Mummy, naughty boy" pointing to another little one. When I asked him what happened, it seemed this little boy tried to take the toy that Connor was playing with. And so it starts... (btw, D verified that Connor's story was accurate - I'm under absolutely no illusions that my kids are angels!)

Louisa mentioned the bibs in her post ... remember we have a rule - "no bib, no food" and I stick to it. Apparently the church ladies don't have this same rule because both their clothes were soiled today when I collected them despite my note on their food bag and the bibs inside. *sigh* I really do hate laundry with a passion.

We had a lovely breakfast and chat and then had to leave in a rush (why is it that time speeds up toward the end. I checked my watch and it was 11 and then I looked again and it was 11:45 and we had to rush out of there) because V was coming over to babysit so we could have a date afternoon.

Of course I couldn't find my kiddie receipt and they don't let you leave with your kids (remember we live in South Africa where security is a very high priority) if you can't produce it.

Eventually they let us go. Even though that part was a huge schlep, I appreciate it because I would give them hell if they let my kids leave with someone else with a flimsy excuse.



Aside from that, I organised clothes like crazy, went for a date afternoon with D and decided on the holiday, cooked potato lentil curry.

Today was church (good message on what legacy are you leaving - just my thing :)) and a little mis-adventure (Kendra's nappy leaked and SOAKED her pants from stupid Huggies Gold, D & C went to church and K & I made a detour to Pep to get some more pants, and then back to church 30 minutes late because I refuse to buy things with sparkles and glitter...), kids watching some of Rugby World Cup with Daddy and me having a little nap.

All in all a good weekend.

How was your weekend?

PS two bloggers down; 3 to go

10 comments:

  1. I agree that time always speeds up towards the end of anything! I'll think, "Oh, I'm doing OK on time..." and the next thing I know, it's an hour later!

    Glad you had another fun play date...and it sounds like the rest of your weekend was grand, too (with the exception of the leaky diaper and laundry). :)

    By the way, I've been meaning to tell you...it's been our experience (knock on wood) that the leaky diaper issues have stopped as the girls have gotten older. In fact, both our girls wake up dry 99% of the time (even though B is not potty-trained). I'd say that's been the case since 28 or 29 months. So...hopefully your soaked-through days are numbered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had such a great time meeting you guys! And we are ready for round two whenever you are. :-)

    (Hahaha, sorry about the swearing thing - I do have a bit of a potty mouth but I promise it's down to about 2% of what it used to be)

    I'm glad you managed to get out with your kids eventually, but it is comforting to know that they gave you a hard time about it before you could leave. The place seems quite secure.

    We used to have nappy failures all the time! It's been a while now, and I think I've finally got the hang of positioning the elastics just right...if they're a bit screw, or tucked in the wrong way the whole thing becomes pretty much useless. (Just in time for potty training as luck would have it, so all the knowledge will hopefully soon be forgotten).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great meeting with Louisa! And yes, I guess it was annoying that they did not want to let you out but it makes me feel super about the place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like you two had a great time together. So happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome that you got to meet yet another blogger. Seems like you had a great time.
    Sounds like you had a good weekend. Mine was lovely too. Cake on Friday for Joel's birthday. Saturday didn't work out as planned but was just as lovely. Visited a friend and spent 3 hours with her. Guitar lessons. Greys Anatomy with Lance. Sunday was better than previous Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha...I love when you get annoyed by things. When I leave the Crazies with other people, I'm happy if they come back without injury and alive!

    What a fun meeting...I haven't met any of my blog friends and I'm not sure I want to. I kind of enjoy the anonymity.

    Weekend was good...relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca, you kill me! I love how you want to stay anonymous :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. alexander.ad84@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like lots of fun! Glad they are secure! I'm playing catch up on blog reading and started with yours of course! I'll be posting soon. We've just been so busy with the beginning of the school year. BTW, our mass this week at church was about forgiveness and I loved it. It was perfect for the 9/11 anniversary. We need to forgive over and over again in order to create peace in this world. It doesn't mean that we need to be passive or wimpy, but that in our actions and deeds we need to be forgiving and loving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting! I had to come back to read this and when I saw the part on Melville I remember reading this post at the time! Amazing the things that stay on our brains. And the kids were so tiny!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails