Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Spunk and your 10%


I met the most fantastic woman today.

A broker, gorgeous, dressed beautifully and with the most excellent taste in handbags. :)

In fact, she walked into the meeting room, I said, "hi, I'm Marcia ____, lovely to meet you".
Then as she walked to her seat, I couldn't help but say, "OH! what a gorgeous handbag" and so we had an instant affinity.

Really, that handbag was stunning. An odd shade of blue (I love odd shades of anything) and the perfect size.

Yes, she was very attractive, good hair and clothes but the thing I love most (besides that handbag) is her spunk.

She said her piece (not always what we wanted to hear but that's okay) and said it passionately and full of vigour.

Spunky.

I think the thing I most relate to in people is the 10%.

I think we're mostly the same in a lot of ways - everybody wants to do good work, be happy, blah blah blah, but that 10% is where we set ourselves apart.

And if that 10% in other people is slightly mad, edgy, spunky or just plain weird, well then, I love it.

I work with an agency on my new product and there are 3 people I deal with. The one is quite normal and so we work together just fine, but not great.

The other two are very edgy. But not in that ad agency "look at me, I'm so cool" way which I can't stand. They have such fantastic chemistry that I just love to watch and observe them in action :)

After our first meeting with them I told my boss, "I've just met this woman who is mad as a hatter and... I LOVE HER!" The 3rd person appears quite normal but he throws in these comments that just kill me.

My point is that the thing I relate to is the 10%.

If I meet a whole bunch of people, I'm more likely to remember the person who was a bit out there or someone who said something different to what is the norm.

What about you?

Now here's the thing.

Yes, I have twins and only 1 in 80 people have twins (or whatever the current stats are) but I was me (and awesome in my way) before they came along, and I want to be identified for more than just having twins.

It's interesting because I find when I'm introduced to other people by a woman, that's one of the first things they say, "this is Marcia and she has TWINS!". This is what happened this morning so it's fresh.

I do get it in a way because this particular person says to me often, "I don't know how you do everything you do With Twins!!!" (like that, with exclamation marks)



If a man introduces me, they talk about my other awesomeness :) like my boss will say something about how I am the one "who will get this thing off the ground and make it happen" (he is sweet, isn't he?) or about my operational expertise or my "superb customer relationship skills".

It is so interesting!

Does this happen to you too?

But what I most want to know is this - what is the thing people are most likely to remember about you? In other words, what is your 10%?

P.S. It's a gorgeous, rainy, cold (freezing) day here today and of course, I'm hugely energised so let me get at the work. Hope you're enjoying the weather where you are.



P.P.S. Part of my 10% is that I notice and take pics of things like this :)

8 comments:

  1. this is one of the reasons I get REALLY irritated when people introduce me as ....and she's Australian!

    I think - seriously? Do you not know me at all? Is that really what you think my 10% is?

    I'm not sure that I know what it is either, but I'm pretty dang sure it's not just being Australian. And yeah, not twins either. I don't tend to get that too much as an introduction, because people dont know where to START with the fact that they are twins AND adopted AND from Ethiopia.

    Great food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at this current stage in my life, everyone who knows me, introduces me or know me by ... this is the lady who lost 30kgs.
    I do love that they use me as an inspiration but sometimes it can get a bit "blah". I want to be known as the lady who ... inspired me to be better and lose the weight. All in in "awe" when they see me but they don't do anything in achieving the same - health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your comment, Claudia. If I were introducing you, I'd talk about how you were a wonderful writer who is so brutally honest :)

    M, that is a fantastic accomplishment and you inspire me! So if I meet you, I will introduce you to others like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Marcia, yes - although being a mom of twins is important it is not what defines us.

    I also love that edgyness, a different way of dress, of talk but mostly of thinking.

    I also love a person that gives you 100% attention - those few talented excellent listeners.

    And very gentlemanly men -I love it. They immediately get my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post and definitely food for thought. Will be back with an answer about what my 10% is. Hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea what people notice about me, aside from my gaggle of kids, ROFL.

    *I* think I am funny, in a sarcastic kinda way, but I probably just come across like a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post, but like Julia I have to think about it! What is my 10%?!?! I do agree the twin thing is thrown in a lot! I will get back to you on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pictures...every time I see a gray sky, I want to take a picture and send it to you! I should start doing that! You won't think I'm a stalker, will you?

    I think that people will remember my 10% as I tell is like it is and get things done. That makes me proud!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails