Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thursday's Talkfest

For the record, this is Friday, Connor's bear
Look how big they're getting
I don't intervene; I like to let the natural course of justice happen :)
He got the bear back.
"Kendra, say sorry to Connor and give him a kiss"
He's not interested in the hug since her love language is physical touch, this is killing her.

First of all, do you long-time readers remember this chair?

I used to take their baby pics on there in the good old days.

The chair now lives in my study and the kids are allowed to sit on it and write with clipboards and crayons if they stay still. The minute they start getting curious they need to leave.

There are far too many fragile things in the study (laptop, cameras, etc).

**************************

Anyway, do you remember last year when Connor's leg got stuck in the revolving door at church?

At the time he ran off, unconcerned, and I thought it was only me who was affected.

Well.

Our rule is they need to walk to the church building holding one of our hands.

I usually hold Connor's hand and the past couple of months, he's been saying to me, "Mummy, 'member (remember) when Connor's foot got stuck in door?"

I cringe (visibly) and say, "yes, boy, of course I remember".

Every single week.

Kendra's now latched onto this and so they drive a wedge into my heart twice every Sunday, once when we arrive and again when we leave about how Connor's leg got stuck in the church door.

Gosh. Emotionally exhausting.

**************************

Last night D went to the movies.

The minute that gate shut I hear the wailing start.

Me What's wrong, Kendra?

K Want Daddy. WAAAAAHHHH

Me Kendra, Daddy's gone out. He'll be back later.

Before I could even finish my sentence, I had two little ones in the study with me (about 2 minutes before my appointment).

K's face was red, tears streaming down her face and of course, there was snot to accompany it.

Connor joined her just because they're cute and they do things together these days.

Me Kendra, it's okay. I'm here and Daddy will be back later.

C Mummy, 'member yesterday (everything in the past is yesterday :)) when you went to see Aunty Caren? (it was actually last Thursday)

Me Yes, Connor?

C Connor missed Mummy. Connor cried in bed.

(again with the guilt trip)

If he wasn't so cute, I'd feel bad but as it is, I just want to laugh.

I suppose tonight when I go see Aunty Kirsten, he's going to cry in bed again!

**************************

Kendra's taken to imitating me, especially in the way I talk to them.

Me (to Connor) Hey, Pumpkin!

K (laughing) Hey, Pumpkin!

Me (to Kendra) Baby, you're also my pumpkin.

K No, Mummy, Kenna your little girl.

**************************

Remember I said we don't correct them when they refer to themselves as Connor and Kendra because I find it so cute?

Yes.

Connor used to call popcorn "hopcorn" and when we said, "P P P opcorn", he'd say, "PPPP - HOPcorn!"

So we gave up.

And the other day at work, our PA offered me some popcorn and I happened to tell them about Connor and the HOPcorn.

When I got home...

Me Connor, say popcorn

C Popcorn

Whoosh! Just like that, he's speaking properly.

It's very, very sad that they lose their babyness so quickly.

So we'll be leaving them to say "Mummy, Connor very very hungry" as long as they want to.

In fact, his new thing is "Mummy, wake uuuuuup. Connor want biscuit and tea" since I made them rooibos (herbal) tea and gave them one of these biscuits each last week when it was a bit chilly".

I still find it cute so I've been waking up, getting them tea and a biscuit and then we all pile back into bed. I read my goals book and they drink their tea and biscuits.

(As a special treat for Valentine's, they got raspberry herbal tea :))

**************************
And one more...

The other day in the car on the way to church...

C  V says "car" (he pronounced it like the Australians speak); Connor says "car" (in a very posh British way)

D and I about killed ourselves laughing.

I seriously couldn't stop laughing.

**************************

By the way, do you say posh or p-oh-sh (like ocean)?

Do you correct your kids if they mis-pronounce words?

PS My friend's twins, A & G, are 3 today! Around this time I 'member C being couch-bound when I visited, and how I always needed a slice of toast with cheese because I was permanently hungry.

12 comments:

  1. Oh wow! They sure are getting bigger.
    My two are 5 years apart in age and still get moments like this. I too prefer to let the events go their natural ways but I get to a point where my patience get less and then need to intervene. I don't think that this is going to stop any time soon having 2 kids in a house.
    Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love those little mispronounced words - I do correct them , but not too much. We have one that is used a lot right now by both the boys - Ollypotter in stead of Polyotter and L still calls his brother Cistrian in stead of Christian. The Princess has trouble with koningin which has become konikginne but we are working on that one.

    Btw the new word verification is extra annoying. Why not take it off? Bloggers spam filter is really good these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are getting SO big! Love K's face when C won't hug her.

    I think it's precious they speak in third person too. My girls don't do that, but they do pretend to be Dorothy (Wizard of Oz), Annie (from the movie), or their teachers (Ms. Connie or Ms. Dana) all the time...so I have to ask what their names are periodically! Mackenzie is especially bad to "not hear" me if I refer to her by the wrong name.

    We correct majorly mispronounced words, but not too seriously. I kind of love it too. Addison has said the "p" sound for "f" for so long, Jeremy and I have almost stopped noticing it. She is doing it a little less now, but I still catch it sometimes and laugh. (And we have both started saying, "That will be pun!" (fun)...just like Addison says it.) : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait until my two start chatting up a storm like this...I LOVE the stories Marcia. They are adorable..as always!

    :) "See" you tomorrow!

    I say POSH... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at how tiny they were! I want to put mine in veal boxes, maybe that will keep them tiny and perfect forever!
    I think the girls see me so often they don't care when I come and go. On Saturdays it's always "You's go work now mommy?! BYE!" I love the broken english they speak with all it's funny quirks. The tenses and purals irritate me though, but I try to brush it off. I love the third person speak and Emma uses y for l, so she "yikes" things instead of "like" but DH and I have started using around the house. It's so cute!

    Oh, and I say posh. Who says p OH osh??!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww....so precious. I LOVE talking toddlers. I seldom correct Joel. Lance and I mirror whatever he is saying by repeating it and then using the correct word.
    LOL...Joel also likes his biscuit and tea. He even dunks the biscuit like an old man. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, they are SOOOOOO stinkin' cute on that chair! I love how you captured the entire thing in pics, especially their facial expressions!

    Kids have an amazing memory, don't they? A long time ago, we took the kids to Red Lobster and Cole ended up puking after eating his meal. It never fails...every single time we pass the restaurant, he says, "Mommy, remember that time I ate mac-n-cheese and applesauce at Red Lobster and I puked?"

    Sometimes I'll correct my kids if they mispronounce a word, esp if it comes out as another word that's not so funny. Like, for the longest time, Garrett and Landon would call a stick a "dick". It was funny at first but then I had to start correcting them because I was afraid other people would think I was strange for laughing at something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ag cute man...hopcorn is a good word!
    If N pronounces something funny I do correct her but for instance if she says "kyk mamma dis liglet!" I'll say "ja my skat, dis Piglet" so she knows that I know what she was trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I let my kids duke it out for the most part too.

    My twins won't say their own names, but they'll call out their brothers. It's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh they are SOOOooo cute! I love the last one of Connor, the look on his face "Sisters!" Hehe :)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails