Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Newly 6-year-olds and Santa Shoeboxes

I was just looking for pics to share with this post and I realised I didn't ever share photos of the kids on their actual birthday.

here you go -


it was absolutely freezing - our coldest day in Ballito

do you know I actually love winter pics on the beach? :)




I love this one!

and this one - I have "summer" pics of the 3 of them like this :)

my 6-year-olds!!!

Anyway, let's talk about Santa Shoebox for a minute.

You all know how passionate I am about it, right?

I have found over the years that the best thing for us to do is 4 boxes. Two years ago I did 12 (twelve!) and to be honest, that felt like a conveyor belt, more like I was working in a factory filling boxes rather than carefully choosing gifts for a special child.

Last year we went back to 4 and it felt good again. The registration process was a big pain in the behind but I persisted and eventually was registered.

This year I was a bit put off by the tone of the site. I am not sure who wrote the copy but it felt a bit cold and demanding. I get that some people may not give good gifts or follow the rules, but I did feel "spoken down to", and always with this kind of thing, I always feel like organisations treat 95% of people as they should treat the 5%.

Anyway, I persisted because I believe in the project, got my 4 kids and we're good to go.

I've been #Konmari-ing up a storm so I had 3 good storage boxes I could use for the presents.

On that note, I can't believe that for someone who declutters regularly (like weekly), how much stuff there is to go.

A lady fetched two big black bags from the house today - one full of good toys (puzzles and books, etc.) and the other full of clothes for a children's home. (I had Nanny S put the stuff in a black bag so I wouldn't reconsider because, let's face it - a lot of the toys are sentimental)

I did a walk around the house afterwards and I'm sure next month she could get another black bag full of clothes/ toys/ books again.

So I'm done - all we have to do is write a letter to each kid, I want D to repack the little girl's box (because he's amazing at packing) so the stuff fits better, and that's it until we drop them off.

Last year once I was finished with the shoeboxes, I did a shoebox for Nanny S's child too (I didn't stick to it 100% but I did fill the box I had). They both loved it so I want to do the same again this year.

Does anyone know if World Vision kids participate in Santa Shoebox? I'll have to phone their offices to see if they will accept shoeboxes for our two kids or if they prefer a monetary donation.

Are you participating this year? 
I hate to ask, but gosh, are you even thinking about Christmas yet?

PS the holiday is still not booked! or decided on! :( From looking at listings, I realised I'm a "luxurious self-catering accommodation" type on a budget that doesn't quite stretch to those amounts :)

8 comments:

  1. I need to sign up. I usually do 2 or 3 boxes. Meant to do it last week but some how keep forgetting.

    That's sad about the site. Hopefully it doesn't put off many people. I also believe in the project and I'm even considering volunteering some time not just giving gifts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs FF, you might disagree. See for yourself. I might be overreacting :)

      Delete
  2. This year has been such a pain to pledge - need to try again today. But I do believe in the project 100%

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas is so on my mind, but I plan on being done with presents mid next month. I was going to do a box, but a blogger/twitter peep is raising funds for her nephews eye surgery, so I gave my money to that rather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marcia! The book by Marie Kondo inspired me to get rid of so much stuff. There's just something about it that makes you want to declutter your house in one day, don't you think? I haven't done kimono though...one of these days...
    Alina
    www.eclecticalu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is currently on the fritz here, so while I have already started towards Christmas I have just slammed the brakes! I do love the box idea, but I am so much better at donating money. When malls were still around I used to love shopping for kids on Angel Trees, it was so simple. All done in the mall while I was there. We will definitely do our kindess tree again, it was a big hit and the kids have been asking all year!

    P.S. Wish me luck, I'm attacking mine and the kids clothes next week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails