Thursday, October 15, 2015

Books I read/ listened to in September

I realised when I updated my Goodreads that I hadn't written about my September books so here we go:

Apologies that everything is all over the place - maybe I need to take a proper picture of each book because any photo is better than this, but anyway.

September was one of those months that ran away from me - I think I looked at my goals for the first time around the 24th (the public holiday) which is shocking.


1. The Flavours of Love - Dorothy Koomson

I adore this author's writing. She always writes about strong, black women which is really nice, and her characters are usually set in Brighton (hence my fascination with Brighton Airbnbs). I enjoyed this one but not as much as all her other novels - i don't know if that was a product of my scattered-ness... I think so because the writing was impeccable and I see I took 8 days to finish which means I was too busy. A Koomson novel usually takes me 2 days tops and I'm done.

2. The Reunion - Joanne Fedler

Now you all know about my special interest project - friendship - so I adored this one. The author is apparently South African and has lived in Australia for a long time. I found myself re-reading bits, and marking pages with post-it flags . Such interesting insights about motherhood, and how the parenting journey changes as your kids grow, and obviously about friendship. (Jeanette, you'll really enjoy this one) It turns out I'd read a previous novel of hers in 2010, and also really liked it.

3. Now you see her - Joy Fielding

Normally I love these psychological thrillers but this one felt a bit far-fetched and wasn't very credible. Still, it was set in Ireland so Ireland, the character, was great. The actual main character annoyed me too much.

Don't bother with this one...


4. The Secret Between Us - Barbara Delinsky

This was my first book by this author and I enjoyed it well enough. I'd read another (and in fact, have already done so) but it's nothing earth-shattering. The characters are likeable, the story moves along at a good pace, and there's nothing implausible, so it's a solid book.

5. Boundaries - Cloud/ Townsend

I love the Boundaries book. It's one of the best books on Boundaries I've read.

One of my favourite chapters was the one on boundaries in friendship which I wrote about last week. Those of you who said you wanted time to think, I'd love to know what's going through your mind.

I listened to the audible version of this book but I recommend just reading a physical copy. It feels much longer when read because of the narrator, who is not either of the authors.

This one I recommend a thousand times over.



Bonus - if you do want to listen to something particularly charming and delightful, there are two podcasts by two favourite authors:

Cecilia Ahern
Marian Keyes

YOU WILL LOVE THEM!

(seriously, you know I never steer you wrong - download those podcasts and prepare to be delighted! and then come back and tell me how much you loved them)

So what did you read during September?

PS I'm listening to Roisin's podcast now :)

3 comments:

  1. Joanne Fedler sounded failiar so I looked back in my book journal and I loved her "things without a name" years ago. And I am so going ot listen to those podcasts - love both authors. Thanks for the reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I cannot remember the last book I read... this makes me VERY sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a book report on Dorothy Koomson's The Ice Cream Girls as part of an English writing assignment for university a while back... Haven't ready anything else of hers but I really enjoyed that particular book. Largely, I think, because I hadn't read it specifically for the purpose of writing a report on it... I may even have said as much in my report.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails