Monday, May 16, 2016

What makes a great read?

I was clicking through on some good comments on Modern Mrs Darcy's blog a week or two ago. MMD has that podcast where she asks people 3 books they loved, 1 they hated and what they're currently reading.

By the way, this is often how I find new blogs. I read something in a comment that resonates and then I go follow.

Anyway, on one of those blogs, the lady had posted about the type of books that are a good read for her.


So I got thinking and this is what I came up with in the area of non-fiction:

(I wrote all about my favourite 5 books over on the organising blog)



3 books I loved
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
Overwhelmed
The Life-changing magic of tidying up

1 book I didn't care for...
(hate is a strong word...)
I didn't care at all for Notes on a blue bike, Sparkly green earrings and A million little ways

Books I've just finished
When Breath Becomes Air

What are the commonalities?

the 3 books I loved all had a combination of big picture thinking and practical how-to
I also love a good research element, so not just blah blah blah, but this is why this works, and this is how that research plays out practically in my life

didn't care for - all of these are blog writers with book deals. I personally think they write better blogs than they do books. I also think many of the blog writers don't translate well, because of the shorter-form essay-type format. Lots of faffing and not getting to the point, structure not great and I find myself thinking, "what is she actually trying to say?" which is a touch annoying in something I'm trying to learn from

So tell me, what makes a good non-fiction read for you?

I'll do the fiction reads next time, so start thinking :)

 

And the books I read in April?

April was a great reading month again with 9 books, 1 of them non-fiction.

Favourites were the Ella Griffin (READ IT!), the Jojo Moyes and the Sheila O'Flanagan. All library reads which I LOVE!

What were your favourite reads in April?

13 comments:

  1. Totally, totally get you. "I personally think they write better blogs than they do books." Exactly that... I feel compelled to buy the books of bloggers I love and follow, you know support them and all that... but blogging is what they do best and blogging is what they should stick with. I recently read The Crossroads of Should and Must... in a sitting, totally, totally loved it a couple of things are going to change around here because of that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Straight to the point, facts backed up by research. I find many non-fiction self help type books kind of all say the same things. My favorite non fiction is usually biographical I like reading about the lives of others (nosy me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read my top non-fiction read of last year! Esp after our conversation about Nigerian Tiger Mothers :)

      Delete
  3. I didn't care much for Sparkly green earrings either. I still want to read Konmarie though. You know I am not great with non fiction but one of the few I did love was "The Happiness project"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and my April/May books are on the blog.

      Delete
    2. You should definitely read Konmari - everyyyyyone should read Konmari!

      Delete
  4. My favourite April Reads were Room and Between Shades of Gray. Both were emotional reads but very good. I read 5 books in April but May is not going so well because of my super thick book that I can't seem to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you stop reading your book, Terisha?

      (you know you're allowed, right?)

      Delete
    2. Sorry only seeing your response now after I read part 2. Yep I gave up 500 pages into the book. There was another 1100 pages to go. I eventually ended reading 5 books in May so it wasn't too bad

      Delete
  5. I am not one for non-fiction, unless it has something to do with WW2 or something along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need big picture thinking. I need for the author to speak to me in a normal voice. Not in an “I-know-all-the-big-words” voice. Also not in a “you-are-so-dumb-and-if-my-way-is-not-your-way-then-I-am-judging-you” voice. Also not in a soppy “I-love-you-so-much-my-baby” voice.
    I also need practical tips. I need to NOT feel bad about myself while I’m reading. And I ultimately need to feel inspired. I need to feel like I REALLY want to apply their thing to my life.
    One of my favourite NF reads of all time is Battle Hymn of the Tiger mother. I think that this is my preference for NF. As much as I love the practical tips and exercises, I LOVE the memoir-style even more.
    Way too little May reading. Am knitting a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with Battle Hymn. It was the perfect non-fiction end to 2015 for me.

      Have you read Bread and Wine? I think you'd like it - a memoir-style blend of hospitality and relationships :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails