Thursday, January 05, 2017

A chatty, catch-up post about Christmas

I've had it on my list to write this post for a long time (over a week) and today I told myself before I tackle my budget, I need to do this.

So here goes:



Christmas 2016

In my craziness, I invited everybody! My one friend didn't end up coming but I did have a house of 12 people.

Let's focus on all the good things, shall we?
  • Jesus is still the best Gift ever!
  • It was a beautifully overcast and rainy day
  • There was more than enough food (I had a little panic like was there going to be enough food?) and plenty left over. 
  • The SIL and BIL only bought one present per child (this I've been trying to get right for the last 7 years!!!).
  • The BIL ate food (super fussy) and plenty of it! Actually, I also think he's stopped smoking so that might be it.
  • The BIL complimented my house.

We told everyone we're not buying gifts so they listened... but I ended up looking through the rapidly diminishing gift shelf and so the grannies got gifts from there, and I made some keyrings with beautiful glass beads for them too. The grannies felt awkward about that so maybe I should specify no BOUGHT gifts next time because D and I love food gifts :)

Because of the aforementioned amazing weather (that apparently only D and I enjoy!), there was no swimming and people left around 5.... which meant we went to church again at 6, and that was really nice.

I do have one question: why is it that a house full of people for my birthday (usually even more!) doesn't stress me out one little bit but a house full of people for Christmas does?



Christmas is now all packed away and my house was thoroughly cleaned that day, two days later and again when Nanny S came back to work.

My To Marcia, From Marcia gift this year was a devotional colouring book - super little to colour daily with a scripture reference and about a minute of reading. Really low-key and hopefully a habit I can keep up, as long as Nanny S doesn't pack it away like she does everything else.

How was your Christmas? What did you get up to? Do you exchange gifts? Do you go wild? Do you buy a gift for yourself?

8 comments:

  1. This Christmas was verrrrrrry different, having my MIL living with us. I actually hosted! It was all very foreign to me but went rather smoothly, surprisingly. I didn't have a gift for myself this year. I did however buy a hoard of gifts for the girls, gasp! Guilt from such a tumultuous year.

    Side note: I'm so jealous of your tidied house! G is adamant that Christmas stays up until epiphany and his mother seconded that. I'm not sure why I listen to either of them since I am the only one decorating and un-decorating. I am counting down the hours until tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Christmas was low key and great. I think having folks over for Christmas is tricky because we all have such different ideas on makes a good day. But with your birthday folks are there for a day that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Christmas was also low key this year. We did gifts and big lunch, but that was about it. We were at the coast so we spent Christmas afternoon at the beach and it didn't feel that Christmasy. It was simple and low key, but also relaxing and nice. In previous years, even though we were at the coast, we had bigger do's for Christmas often with plenty of family visiting. I think the fact that we arrived in Ballito on Christmas Eve played a role in a simpler Christmas. I bought way too many physical books the week prior to Christmas so I didn't get myself a gift this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are low key for Christmas , usually church and lunch with one or two people. I'm happy to have tons of people over on new year day but I prefer a quiet Christmas. And this year was not different. My cousin came for a few days and that was it. Gifts nope we still don't do much in that respect and I think K explained it nicely - why is she getting a gift when it is not her birthday but Jesus' birthday :) anyway she got a few items from things we already bought she hadn't used.

    But of course Christmas isn't yet packed up I love to enjoy that part much longer. It's too much hassle to put it out and back so early ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a lovely Christmas! For the first time in probably 20 odd years we had no one over and it was quiet. The kids got spoilt, as always, but not as crazy over the top as last year thank goodness! Since I don't have 2c to scratch my behind with, I made gifts again. This year everyone got homemade salted caramel and cookies...except the kids, Steve bought their gifts. And I reigned him in significantly even on that. We decided to go mostly board games (promotes playing together) and something small to go with that. The girls LOVE the board games. One of my finer ideas, if I do say so myself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a lovely Christmas! For the first time in probably 20 odd years we had no one over and it was quiet. The kids got spoilt, as always, but not as crazy over the top as last year thank goodness! Since I don't have 2c to scratch my behind with, I made gifts again. This year everyone got homemade salted caramel and cookies...except the kids, Steve bought their gifts. And I reigned him in significantly even on that. We decided to go mostly board games (promotes playing together) and something small to go with that. The girls LOVE the board games. One of my finer ideas, if I do say so myself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a super chilled Christmas. We were 11 - lol but only cos we are already 6 :)

    I think there is something about family that makes it a little more stressful?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was so great - only us and my MIL - super chilled. We limited gifts and I love the idea of one gift for the kids to share. My mom bought them Rummikub and my BIL and SIL the Percy Jackson boxset.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails