Saturday, January 07, 2017

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times


I did something awesome this year - I decided to reach my reading goal early so I wasn't pushing to reach a goal around Christmas/ New Year and I could just chill and play with my workbooks instead.

I realise chill and goals may not go together for you, but they do for me :)

However, I just had a really good year of reading so I finished my goal months ahead of time.

For final nerdiness, I ended on 97 books. The best since I've been tracking through Goodreads or, my adult life.

My previous best in 2001 was 95 books.



There are two people who read here who read way more books than that last year. Please tell us how many pages you read please because I get some questions like that and I don't read short books. I read normal books. My average book length is 340 pages.

More stats:


2016 books
Audible Kindle Physical
14 44 39



Non-fiction Fiction
24 73
25% 75%

This is probably the most non-fiction I've ever read in one year. Most of those were memoir-type books, which are my favourite non-fiction.



Longest book: Tara Road - Maeve Binchy (648 pages)

5* - 3 books: Stories I only tell my friends, Smart Money, Smart Kids and The Year of Living Danishly

 Please see if this Goodreads link works for you.

The bad book stuff? I abandoned a couple, one just a few days before the end of the year (!) and more than half done when I realised I actually don't care one iota about the characters.

I also read four 2* books but there you go.

And that's it!




Now, Terisha and I are starting a book club. I've extended the invitation to those who said they were interested on Instagram. If you're interested, let me know. We're meeting end Jan/ beginning Feb. Our first book is Big, Little Lies by Liane Moriarty.

We'll discuss everything at the first meeting.

Here's to a wonderful year of reading for us all!

WOOHOO!


PS the kids are 7.5 today!

6 comments:

  1. So I finished the year on 388 books 0_o I can't say for sure if it's the most ever because I'm sure I read more as a teen. Certainly the most since tracking, which was last year :p My year in books link https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2016/51040036 Seems my shortest read was 23 pages, and my longest 725. The average length was 245 pages - novellas and romances tend to be quick reads. Most of my nonfiction reads were for my thesis and those reads run anywhere in length anywhere from 150 to 600.

    My gripe is that I don't have a way to track my article reading. It's still reading, and I have read so, so many articles during the course of last year with classes and thesis work.

    I must admit that reading e-books, specifically fiction, just goes much, much faster for me. It's because nonfiction always inspires me to take notes/use sticky notes to go copy certain sections...and it takes longer because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to work really hard on reading more in 2017. I have started leaving my phone to charge downstairs instead of next to my bed because then I end up checking nothing on there instead of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read 5 really excellent books in December and finished 2 books for January already. The first book I read in January was The Nightingale and it was a brilliant but so heartbreaking. I was so sad afterwards and really struggled to shake it off. I never had such an intense reaction to a book before. I only want to read happy books for the rest of this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lets see: I read only ebooks. I finished on 163 books. I read an average of 109 pages per hour/ 7 hours per book. I use a reading app on my phone so it is always with me. I read read read. Breakfast. lunch, dinner, a few minutes in a queue, waiting for the food to cook, waiting for something to happen on my PC. If I cannot sleep I will read (not anymore because it is bad for my sleep). I read a few pages first thing every single morning and evening. Maybe this is why I manages so many books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh I wish I can find out where to find my stats for the 2016 reading challenge. Can you help please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok - Average book 335 pages and 36 books. Longest - I am Pilgrim (612 pages)I am quite convinced though that it is incorrect as two of the afrikaans books I read was both over 1000 pages and they reflect no pages count on Goodreads - so how does it then count pages if nothing reflects I wonder?

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails