Sunday, January 29, 2017

Trump, the inauguration, womens's march, Christianity and all the things



These last few months have been very disturbing to me.
  • Obviously I was distraught and unsettled when Trump won the election and I still can't believe it happened.
  • And then there were some voices I followed with a reminder that God is still on the throne and He is to be looked at, not man.
  • This is why I put up Christmas so early. I needed some JOY in my life.
  • That calmed me down and what also calmed me down was people praying and taking action in volunteering, donating to causes they believed in and so on. 
  • There was also enough distance (just over two months) that I was prepared to engage my logical brain and give the man a chance to do his stuff.

And then the inauguration happened.

That speech! I couldn't believe it. I'm not even American and I don't know that America. It felt so exclusionary towards everyone other than those who think like him.

Anyway, I didn't watch much after the formalities.



(by the way, years and years ago, I used to follow a marketing coach and she said on a teleseminar that she only employs American people as she doesn't want to send her money elsewhere. I stopped buying product from her there and then because I was so insulted. For the record, I send my money all over the world and I receive money from all over as gratefully. The speech left the same feeling with me, X 100)

But then, the next day, the Women's March.

I want to say this carefully. I am anti-abortion but if I were a resident in the US, I would have marched for all the other things. The Human Rights things - equality and decency and common human rights.

On this abortion matter... I am firmly anti-abortion... for ME. But who am I to tell you what to do with your body?

I have two friends, one online and one in real life, who have both had terminations. The online one's life was in danger had this not happened; the other had other issues going on and she was desperate. I still think had I been in her situation I would have done differently but how can I be sure? I have not walked those miles in her shoes.

So I believe the thing I am is a pro-choice anti-abortionist :)

If just on this one issue it is so complicated. imagine if we add all the issues at play.



Back to the women's march.

I read and follow a very wide spectrum of women on social media from all countries.

The clear democrats were very vocal with pictures and points of view, and got trolled in some of their comments. I read some and quickly realised this is a thing. Not even a March was about standing for things people can agree on. Everything is so nuanced.

One faction that was very quiet (during the march and the election cycle actually) was that of the white Christian woman.

I follow many of those ladies too.

My own church is also quiet. I don't know if it's just because this is the South African branch (there are US branches too) or if it's the same over there too.

But I want to know how people feel and more importantly, why.


Then one young lady posted something about being disturbed about all the divisiveness in the church, and in her comments, I saw links, followed those and read all that stuff.

You know how this goes.

Some of the Christians voted for Trump based on this abortion thing and nothing else.

I had no idea that this was so nuanced. As I said, if I were in the US, I would have marched but I'm still anti-abortion.

Are these either/ or positions? If so, why? Why can't you believe in everybody deserving dignity and equal rights, and decide that abortion is not for you?



It has gotten worse over the last week (I can't even comprehend!!!) and honestly, I'm staying off social media as much as I can because hours go by and I feel worse.

But still, I feel compelled to speak about these things.

By the way, not one South African I follow is talking about this stuff so I might be talking to myself. That's okay too.

Are you thinking about these things or are they far removed from you?

Okay, happy Sunday!

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're talking about it. And I don't think you should just vote based on abortion. My mom is a doctor and she had people coming to her in desperate situations for abortions (she couldn't help at that stage she was a student) but I agree. She has often told me it is like war: terrible but it happens.
    I'm adopting a wait and see approach on this whole thing and let's hope it isn't as bad as we think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcia, all my talking about this happens on twitter, in person or in whatsapp chats. I'm pro-choice, so much so that my closest cousin is no longer in my life. Issues, are very nuanced, but for me there are some very clear. I retweet and share a lot on various issues, but don't really put it on my blog. Something I should ponder as to why I don't. Most importantly, I believe that we all need to insure that ignorance is never an excuse for anyone's horrid behaviour, and we must also keep on sharing joy. Reminders that there is joy in the world makes it all a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that I feel there is so much going on in politics here that demands attention that I feel rather distant to the US issues. Our church however mentioned the Trump situation last SUnday - about building walls in stead of inclusion

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't talk about it, but then again I always steer clear of political debates. Plus there is already so many people who have said all there needs to be said. It seems to me, that the peeps from the US had two terrible candidates to choose from...but they made their choice.
    On the abortion issue I feel pretty much like you do. It's not something I would consider, but everyone should get to make that hard choice for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't talk about it, but then again I always steer clear of political debates. Plus there is already so many people who have said all there needs to be said. It seems to me, that the peeps from the US had two terrible candidates to choose from...but they made their choice.
    On the abortion issue I feel pretty much like you do. It's not something I would consider, but everyone should get to make that hard choice for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:07 am

    To be honest I think that both candidates had severe flaws and I think the Americans had a hard choice to make because there are things about both of them that I personally don't like/agree with. That said I am astounded that Trump won! He is in my humble opinion severely unhinged. I would have marched too. I too am anti-abortion however I also believe that each person has to make their own choices and that they should have the right to make that choice. Abortions will happen and I would prefer that if it is a choice you need to make that it is done in a safe and hygienic manner. I have an American friend who voted for Trump because of how Obama care impacted her family business which dealt with health matters. I know Obama was not a perfect president (who is? they are also just humans doing the best they know how) but I look at the way he treats his wife and his daughters - uplifting, empowering and respecting them and I compare The Donald and how he treated Melania that day - and I can't help but feel that Americans made a VERY grave mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a lot to say on this but I've learnt to adopt the approach of pray for our leaders. I'm pro life but also pro choice If that is possible... I just read that a law restricting sale of guns to severely mentally ill people was repealed in the name of discrimination . And I still recall reading that there are more abortions during republican tenures despite the claim to be pro life .. God help us as we pray for our leaders :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails