Friday, March 25, 2011

This week's me time

Photobucket

Last week when I participated in the 52 weeks challenge, I went to visit each of the people above me in the linky thing and someone said something about taking a day off work just because.

Hmmm.

I liked that idea and because I'd had such a busy weekend, I decided to do the same.

We have this automated leave application system at work - you put in your leave online and it sends a message to your line manager to approve it.

I like the efficiency but I don't like that it has removed the connection and talking part of it.

So if he's in the office, I tell him when I want to take leave and then do the online thing.

This week I chased after him and told him I wanted to take a half day's leave and sorry for the short notice.

He says, "oh, Marcia, what's wrong?"

I said, "oh nothing, I just need some time off because I'm knackered AND I had a busy weekend".

He laughed.

Anyway, the leave was approved and this afternoon I escaped to come home.

Did some quick shopping on the way home, played with the babies and then holed up in my study when they went for their nap and for an hour afterwards.

I've mentioned to one or two people behind the scenes of the blog that my friend's son's death has really thrown me - it's felt like "what is the point of ANYTHING?" and I've been stuck.

I had a look at my diary (daily planner) and I have NOTHING in there since I heard the news. Literally empty pages for three weeks.

Yes, I've been plodding along but if I stop to think more than 3 seconds, all the emotion comes flooding to the fore and I start crying again.

Yesterday was 4 weeks since his death and on Sunday in church, the message was about leaving hurts in the past and moving on.

Of course that really spoke to me and I decided to take some small action steps today.

I planned out my goals for April - June, did detailed planning for April (the book will now be written in May), did more planning on some teleseminars I plan to do over the next 3 months and it was good.

It's amazing for me (I don't know why it still amazes me because I know this is what happens) how creativity comes and how ideas just FLOW when I get organised with my planning first.

I'd originally planned to read and do nothing but I really do function best in an ordered environment, especially when my mind is organised :) so doing my goals was best for me today.

Other than today, I had the photo workshop on Monday, a massage on Tuesday... and tea with my lovely friend, Natalie on Wednesday to talk Mondo. Julia, you are on my list - we'll have some virtual tea soon and also talk Mondo. And on Thursday, I declared email bankruptcy :)

That's it from my side.

What did you do for yourself this week?

PS tomorrow is my first infertility talk. I only have 20 minutes but I'm prepared to talk very fast :)

8 comments:

  1. Some really good me time this week. Grief is a booger, it hits each person differently and you can almost never predict how it will! Taking care of yourself is always good, but being extra gentle when grieving is important, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you took time off to do what's really important to you. That's what time off is all about. I'm always impressed with your incredible sense of self!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great week! I'm so glad you were able to get your thoughts and plans organized...I know that's one of the things that helps you tick. :)

    I hope your talk goes well tomorrow...can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about sitting down to plan. I feel so much better when I have a little bit of structure in my life. Not a lot, just a little!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all need some "me" time. I take Wednesdays off when DH plays golf. That is my time to be quiet, just create and rest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool that you could take an off day. Our company also used to have that where you submit your leave request online. I loved it. And I loved that when it was approved it sent an automated email to the relevant people. We were taken over by a US company 2 years ago and they stopped that. Obviously they are NOT into the whole idea of a paperless office.
    To be honest, I have not done anything this week just for ME. It has been a rough week and I'm thinking it might have been easier if I had taken some time out.
    I'm going to visit my friend later. For salad. She invited me for cake and tea. I told her that I'm trying to lose weight so I can't do cake. So she told me to come for salad. Must say I have NEVER been invited for salad before.
    Not sure what else I will do for me this weekend but I am definitely going to focus on ME next week.x

    All the best for your talk. I think that this might actually become a regular feature in your life...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you were able to take some time off and take care of what you needed to do for yourself. Grief can be such a hard thing to work through (so sorry for your friend's loss) and can easily suck up all kinds of energy needed for other things. I'm glad you were able to sit down and plan through the next few months. It always feels great to know what's coming next and that you've set aside time to accomplish all the things that need getting done. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As much as you do, I'm surprise you haven't felt a need to do this sooner! Everyone needs to take a day "just because"!

    I can't wait to hear how your talk went. You're so inspirational. As for me, I haven't done much. Tonight my house smells of the apple cake I just finished for a girl at work and tomorrow I'll finish my weekend packing. We start babysitting again Monday. I need to post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails