Saturday, March 05, 2011

Getting my craft on: making formula cans pretty



Right.

So you've all been very patient for the whole week and finally I can show you my formula cans.

These are the small cans as this brand is only sold in these tiny cans.

What you need
  • thick gift wrap or scrapbooking paper
  • project board
  • glue stick
  • art and craft glue
  • scissors
  • cute ribbons
  • tags (optional)
  • wet cloth

How I did mine

  1. I washed out the cans and let them air dry thoroughly.
  2. I then measured the length of the can and cut a strip of project board as the paper I wanted to use for the vibrant, bright colours was too thin and you could see the boring formula stuff through the paper. An A4 sheet is about 2 cm too short so I had to cut some extra project board to completely cover the tin.
  3. Glue the gift wrap to the project board with Pritt (glue stick) and leave about 4 cm extra to cover all the joins.
  4. Then glue the board to the can with Bostik Art and Craft white glue. Don't be stingy - use lots of glue.
  5. Start in one section and carefully affix the board to the can, making sure it goes on straight. Your hands will get a bit messy but that's what the wet cloth is for.
  6. Neatly cut off the end of the paper and seal with some glue.
  7. Once dry (about 5 minutes), tie a contrasting coloured ribbon around the can, add a tag if you wish, and make a bow.
  8. You can decorate however you like - I like quick and easy.

What I'm using these for:
  • the babies' gazillion spoons
  • art tubs for gifts
  • cookie mix in a jar (one of my friends is getting one next week when they come over for lunch)
  • pen and pencil jar (if the tin noise irritates you, put a couple of tissues on the bottom to mask the noise)
  • pot plants

What other ideas do you have?

P.S. Please also post what you've been doing in craft land and link up to my post (please also put your link in the comments so we can all come see).


6 comments:

  1. oh, NICE! (I haven't done anything crafty since the babies came home. Very impressed with your effort!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! The only thing creative I've done lately was some coding and graphics stuff on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are adorable! And I love all the ideas you have to use them, too.

    Once I finish the scrapbook I'm working on (a friend's baby shower), I'm going to post a couple of pictures of some of the pages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am very impressed with your craftiness. Looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these!!!! You are much more crafty than I thought!

    I haven't done anything crafty in a while...I've gotta get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute!! I especially love the idea of using them as art supply holders for gifts. I bought a child's tote bag, put an initial on it and filled it with books and stickers for a friend's little girl. She loved it!

    My current project is painting a canvas and attaching ribbon to be a hairbow holder. I can't decide quite how I want it to look yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails