Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dipping our toes into pre-school

Last week at work we got an email announcing a holiday kids programme for employees' kids.

It's always been a lot of fun for the kids (judging from all the noise) but mine have always been too little.

You see, they only take potty-trained 3-year-olds and up.

Since we're basically there with potty training the second child, I thought this would make an excellent bribe so I've been talking it up like it's a Holiday of Note :)




I don't think I've ever blogged about this but we bought this little stove for their birthday last year and I had it painted when I went on the painting spree earlier this year
they cook while I do

Do you want to go to work with me?
YESSSSS!
Fine, but they don't allow kids with nappies.

Okay Mummy! I will pee in the potty! (very earnestly)
Like Dr Phil says, you've got to know their currency and this one doesn't want to miss out on a thing, especially anything social :)

And so Nanny S tells me they only wear underpants during the day except for naps so we should be fine.

Well, I enrolled them both and filled in the indemnity forms (I hate indemnity forms). I've also authorised them to deduct all 3 weeks from my salary so we're in. And on their forms, under dietary requirements, I put... no sweets!

I'm only letting them go 3 days a week from 8:30 until 12. I've then booked out my diary for an hour to take them home and get back to work. There is no way the kids can last a whole day and of course I don't think it's right for my little babies (my colleagues laugh when I call them babies!) to stay out the whole day :)

All the driving is going to kill me but they're going to have fun. And they do LOTS of good crafts, stuff you actually don't mind the kids bringing home.

Nanny S will come to work about 15 mins earlier to dress and feed them, and help me get them in the car.

I have LOTS of plans for her days while the kids are away. Lots of cooking prep, cleaning curtains and deep cleaning their bedrooms and some of the house (she is agreeable because maybe we'll do this next year when they go to school too - no I don't have any plans so please don't ask). Some party prep and of course an extended lunch break.

They will then get fed and go for their naps in the afternoon.

It's going to be interesting.

I have visions of them texting me saying, "please come fetch your kids" or "Someone's peed in their pants", me dashing from meetings, etc.

So pray for us - Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays for the next three weeks.


I'm immensely proud of myself - I'm about 50% there with relinquishing some of my control freak tendencies.

Of course they're still not allowed to drive with anyone else so they're not going on any of the outings (field trips).

Am I weird to think like that? Do you allow other people to drive your kids?

PS Are you proud of me?

11 comments:

  1. I'm totally proud of you - and it will be more difficult for you than it will be for them (usually the first couple times are rough and then they run away from you happy, leaving you crying). Make sure you leave plenty early - Mellow always drags his feet in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very proud, Marcia!!!!! And what a great little trial period...for all of you. :)

    I have never even THOUGHT of anyone else driving my kiddos...can't even go there! [Did you know our car seats are still rear-facing?! ;) ]

    And I **just** made the Dr. Phil "currency" comment to someone earlier today, about thumb-sucking. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you! I wish I could find a trial period, and actually do it!

    No one else has driven my kids, ever. They are forever in our car, in their car seats. There have been a hand full of times when I put their car seats in another car I was driving, but that was the closest we've come. There are days I wonder if I can trust DH driving them! HA!

    This must be a normal thing because I can tell cousin is nervous about me taking her daughter out but won't say so outright. So I don't, no field trips for us.

    Is it horrible that I want to send you home with play food for that kitchen?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not weird. I too go and pick up my son from school every single day. It's a lot of driving but it's worth it.
    I'm sure that they are going to enjoy the whole experience at the creche and stimulation wise, it's going to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY proud of you. They are going to have soooo much fun and you will probably be anxious on day 1. It's normal. Ultimately though, you will be fine.
    I don't mind people driving my kids but there are conditions. No buses or mini-bus taxi's. I don't send my son on field trips where they have to ride the bus. It needs to be another Mom who knows about safety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure they are going to have a blast :)

    I do let the big kids obviously drive with other people now.

    As babies they drove with my parents and when I was a single mom they did start driving with a select few.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Years from now your kids are going to have a good giggle at how you used going to "school" as a reward for doing something else. I can't wait to hear what they make of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, on the driving. Only my parents have been allowed so far to drive Nicola when I can't, but they buy exactly the same safety equipment I do and fit it in their cars for just such an eventuality.

    I don't allow Nicola to go shopping with my mom if I'm not there though. The pink terrorist is quick and my mom gets easily distracted in malls. My mother takes this as a great personal insult I'll have you know but I'm sticking to my guns on this one. She's lost both myself and my brother in department stores and that was when she had 30 years earlier's energy and concentration to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is going to be a great transition thing for you all - and they are going ot have HUGE fun! Very rpoud of you.

    As to the driving thing, well when they get older you just have to - busses for school trips, friends and parties with friends. You just have to trust God and your heart and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So proud of you!! I am positive they will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They will LOVE it! My guys have their speech therapy playgroup, and it's only an hour once a week, but it has made me realize just how big they are. That makes me sad in a way too LOL

    They start preschool here next year, and it's 4 days a week for an hour at first, and they build up as time goes on to what is good for each individual kid. I really like that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails