Saturday, May 02, 2015

What I've read - April edition - the grumpy version

I've not had a great reading month.

Yes, I managed to read/ listen to my 5 books but they've all been a 3 out of 5, and mostly unmemorable.


This screenshot is from my Goodreads account so the one on the right is the first of the month and I've just finished Thrive.

Lizzy and Jane
I'd heard a lot of good things about this author and... I wasn't bowled over so I won't read the other one a lot of people are talking about.

All for you
Normally I love this author but I did not love the characters at all, except maybe the grandma.

The difference a day makes
I always love this author's books too but this book irritated me. I HATED the dog (!) and the lady annoyed me too much.

The wildwater walking club
This author is the same person who wrote Must Love Dogs (John Cusack - who can do NO wrong in my eyes...;)) so I bought it. It was fine, light reading and did encourage me to get in my 10 000 steps a day. That said, I still haven't done 10 000 since finishing it. Ha!

Thrive
I heard Sheryl Sandberg interview Ariana about this book. The interview was amazing so I eventually bought it. The book went on too much about some things I'm not interested in (meditation!) and I increased the listening speed in two sections to make it go faster.... But it was probably the best one of the lot for this month.

On the bright side, I'm reading a Marisa de los Santos which I'm really enjoying so far (35% in) so there's that!

What are you reading?
What was the best thing you read/ listened to in April? (Book/ Blog/ Podcast/ Audio book)

PS I really want to get Katherine Center's new book next. Has anyone read it?

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:43 pm

    I'm reading The Cinderella Murder by Mary Higgins Clark. Very average.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I haven't read a MHC for a good 10 years I so :)

      Delete
  2. I really dislike making the time to read, and then not getting something good out of what I'm reading. It's lead to be giving up on my completionist tendencies.

    I'm busy with the Thursday Next series by Jasper Ffrode, and trying to finish Wool before I need to return it to the library. Listening to a few things from BBC 4 - Earthsea, Good Omens, Mort, and some of their dramas, I really enjoyed Dear Betsie. Also listening to Rachel and Miles Xplain the X-Men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassie, we have such different tastes I don't know or know of any of those 😜

      Delete
    2. I go through phases with different genres, but the bulk of my reading tends to be fantasy, The Fforde is roughly fantasy, Wool is YA, the BBC 4 podcasts are all fantasy, and the last one is based on comics.

      That said I enjoy a good drama-rama as well,and contemporary fiction, as well as trying to solve the murder before the detective. I read a lot, so try to not just stick to the same things. Having worked in book retail off and on, has definitely shaped my reading.

      Delete
  3. I had a string of reads that were less than stellar. I tried but I gave up, because if by page 100 I'm still not feeling it, it would be torture to continue. Currently kind of reading first time mom and I say kind of because I realise it is not a book to read and finish and move on. I feel like I need to read it In bits and bobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time ever I haven't finished a book 25% in.... Usually if I abandon, it's within a few pages, like 5-10...

      Delete
  4. I've not really read much lately, but I am busy reading a book (name escapes me) and I have a deep sense of "I've read this before" but am continuing with it cos I'm not sure if I've read it or not...

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I am going to do a post like this every month - thanks for the idea my friend. I read the newest Deon Meyer (always a favorite) and a lovely book by Anna Hope called Wake. I have only read "Belong to me " by Marisa de los Santos and loved it. Maybe I should try her others

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's a lot of books, sorry they didn't seem that good. On my Kindle is a lot more personal development books than fiction. I need to start going to our library more to get my fiction on. What I do love is fan fiction though. I'm obsessed with certain stories in the Pride and Prejudice section. The good writers there make me so happy!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails