Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Let's have some tea and a chat

I've been listening to a good number of podcasts (and that's a euphemism!) and I wrote down some questions which I've been gathering to share here, so let's do one every week til I'm done, okay?

We can pretend we're having virtual tea :)



There are enough questions for 4 weeks but who knows, I might pick up a few more:)

What's the hardest thing about being you?

The hardest thing about being me...

at work

I'm the type of person who gets things done so people now expect me to be the one to sort things out (like wonky aircon). I'm also the one who will save a document on the shared drive.... and so people now don't even bother. They just say, "are you going to save that for us?"

I tried to be a rebel and say, "eventually" but it bugs me having stuff undone so I just do it as soon as I can. In The Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin said sometimes you just need to do things if they make you happy, and having stuff sorted makes me happy.

That's a surface thing but what I really want to say is...

It's really hard thinking and feeling like you should be further ahead than you currently are. Like you had all this potential and who knows where you'll actually end up. I'm not completely over the hill but part of being in corporate is being able to read the signs.




personal

That I'm actually such a soft-hearted person under this tough exterior.


I asked D and he said exactly this: "that you're really a marshmallow underneath that crusty exterior". Boom - he still knows me!

True. I think people would be surprised at how things touch my heart. Or maybe not?

Enough about me.

What is the hardest thing about being you?

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Marica these are tough. Work wise, it's pretty similar to you. I have no career really, and at almost 31 who knows if I'll get it right. Personal, again similar to yours...I care far, far too much. Especially about everyone else, just not myself. Oh, and my inside voice dominates shades everything in a bad light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Work me, and personal me are very much the same. I will bend myself into pretzels to help...unless I feel taken for granted...then I dig in my heels and watch. I only have a few holy cows and if you navigate those carefully we'll never have a problem. Being on time with things you promised, and treating people fairly is another (this is not treating everybody nicely). You'd probably not be surprised that these are the things I most often bump heads with people about, but as far as I am concerned they are not negotiable.

    The easiest thing about being me is that I don't hold grudges, and I can almost always find something to laugh about. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, on work I am on a slow pace and loving it..my previous job was high profile but exhausting and my family suffered. I am lucky to experience that at a young age (ok..young thirties)and think about my career differently now. Pesonal life....softy like you can't believe, but firm and assertive when needed....especially with the 5 year old....thanks��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy - way too hard a question today. I hide too much, at work and at home. And then the bob explodes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Work me: If I want something done...I do it myself.

    Home me: I (still) feel responsible to keep my family together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh! I have some kid-free time now so I am catching up on blog reading and I start with this tough question. My previous manager told me I have an extremely high work output - so I get stuff done in an hour that people get done in a morning. It helps me to manage working from home with limited time but in a work space you do become the one everyone asks.
    At home I feel like it all falls on my shoulders (which it doesn't really)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trying to be miss perfectionist! Thankfully I've learned not to be too hard on myself

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails