Tuesday, June 01, 2010

10 foodie things that make me happy

I love food.

Love it!

So when I saw this on Saffy's blog, I decided I had to post :)

And I'm doing mine the same as she did - focussing on food.

1. Pasta

The quickest meal in the world. My sister even says I can do anything with pasta. And now even the babies eat pasta. Win-win :)

My favourite go-to comfort food is anything creamy but a good tomato and chilli pasta will also do nicely, especially when it's cold.

2. Tomatoes

Don't tomatoes just make your heart sing? Oh I LOVE tomatoes in ANY food.

3. Garlic

Oh, garlic, my friend in the fight against flu during winter. But also, mmm, garlic, tomatoes, pasta.......

4. Cottage cheese

Is there anything better than wholewheat toast with cottage cheese and a cup of tomato soup? One of my favourite lunches and a firm winter favourite. I also add cottage cheese to my creamy pastas to make the cheese part a bit healthier...

5. Bread

I love any bread. Garlic bread, focaccia, my standard day-to-day bread, wholewheat low GI, italian bread, etc.

Have I told you my bread story?

Once when I was at pre-school (I think I was 4) the teacher said, "brown bread isn't healthy" and when I got home I announced that I no longer eat white bread. They had to go out and buy brown bread for me and because I'm such a stubborn person (wonder where Kendra gets that?), I refused to eat brown bread ever again. When I moved out to go to university at 17, they started eating white bread again.

That kind of nonsense won't be happening in my house :)

6. Avocado

Avocado is one of those things like cottage cheese. Love it on wholewheat toast with lots of pepper and a bit of salt.

I wrote before how the children are not crazy about avo (clearly they're crazy!) but my friend Nat told me to mix it with banana (still haven't done so!).

7. Spare ribs

Love spare ribs, well... sparingly. Not because of the taste but because I need to be in the mood to get my hands dirty. And this goes without saying, I need to be with people I don't mind seeing me with sauce all over my mouth.

8. Apples

I love, love, love apples. But only Granny Smith ones. I have an apple with me 95% of the time (my pastor used to tease me that where you see a bottle of water and an apple, you'd find me - true)

Any dessert with apple is a sure winner - apple crumble, apple pie, apple and cinnamon muffins, apple danishes............

9. Chicken lentil curry

My favourite food ever. Seriously. I love it. My mother makes my favourite one and it's always the one dish I request when we go home or if she comes to visit. And then I stash the leftovers so no-one else can get at it. LOL


10. Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate

Boring it may be, but still my favourite chocolate. I don't know if it's because I grew up on Cadbury's (the factory in SA is in PE)?

I never quite twigged but the same chocolate tastes different around the world and I'm proud to announce that ours is the best!

What I don't eat!

Guess what? I don't eat sushi! Apparently that's weird but it is what it is.

I also don't eat peas or liquorice. Or raw onion. Or green peppers.

What don't you eat that other people find weird?

P.S. This is my post for Steadymom

6 comments:

  1. Keep trying your kiddos with avocado. It's a go-to food for us...our girls LOVE it. Whereas you carry an apple around, I often have an avocado in my purse for when we go out to eat. It's easy to wash and peel and give to the girls in case they won't eat something from the restaurant. HA!

    And reading your list makes me hungry (at 8:00am here!). And even though you don't like sushi, the mere mention makes me think I need it for lunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not eat Brussel sprouts. That's about it. Mix the avo with bananas - it works well, and a bit of olive oil to make it smoother. Can you believe my little L is allergic to avo? I also love past and garlic. And Hunter loves Cadburys too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post. I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your foods too! And by the way, cottage cheese with tomato, cucumber and dill weed mixed in is to die for!!
    And there's not much that I won't eat. Well, except liver. But one thing I LOVE that everyone things is weird is a dill pickle wrapped in an American cheese slice!! YUMMY!
    Visiting from SteadyMom.
    Happy Tuesday!
    Kelli @ SustainingCreativity

    ReplyDelete
  5. That WAS fun to read!! :) Sounds like we'd happily chow down a tomato based pasta together.

    I'm curious about the sushi. Is it the taste, or perhaps the texture of the nori? Hmmm now I need to know :)

    I think maybe you need to share the curry recipe, my dear.

    I loathe brussel sprouts too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like sushi either! And I can't stand cottage cheese. I've tried it several times and it still has no appeal. The babies don't like it either. Of course, they also hate pasta right now...I'm hoping they grow out of that one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails