Friday, June 18, 2010

So how do you know so-and-so?

We went to a birthday party on Saturday last week.

It was SOOOOOOO lovely and a bit strange all at the same time.

You see, we only know these people through our shared IVF.

We met them on retrieval day, LOVED them, and then we were both there on transfer day.

This was IVF 1 and of the three of us, they were the successful ones. She only had 2 eggs but clearly they were good eggs as they survived to day 3 and they transferred both. One of them implanted and she was pregnant with a little girl.

The thing is... they're both deaf.

Obviously they caught our attention because of this and I must say, the staff at the fertility clinic were so kind to them and treated their "disability" with dignity and made sure to maintain their self-esteem at all times. Tapped them on the shoulder, made sure they were looking before talking and then didn't do that thing where they over-emphasise their words or shout louder.

He is the Most Devoted Husband I have ever seen which always gets you points in my book (I don't get guys who try to be "cool").

We started keeping in touch first through email and then through Facebook. And then through the months of baby-ness.

We keep saying we should get together (and I'm the type of person who won't say something like that if I don't really mean it) and never do it.

So when they invited my two to their baby's birthday party, I thought, "excellent!"

Well, we pitched up (late - we got lost) and there's a note on the intecom saying to send a missed call to their cell phone (because obviously they can't hear).

After waiting and trying for 5 minutes, I had the bright idea to ring a neighbour's unit and the nice young man let me in.

They were so surprised and pleased to see us - they thought we weren't coming.

We'd agreed on FB that she'd make sure one of their family would "look after us" because we can't sign (only no, sleep and milk :)) and they did.

Their house is rigged so everytime the baby monitor goes off, a light goes on in the living area. Cool!

The party was so lovely, both sets of family was friendly, their baby is gorgeous, happy, friendly and content, and we all praised Vitalab because without them, none of us would have these babies. (They're going back for another one soon)


they loved this plastic thing with the balls (I need to get some of these balls)

a smile for her brother

Connor
"this is mine and you're not taking it"

one of the other kids trying to escape (is it wrong how much I love that they can't?!) and an aerial view of my babies' heads
I think I'm laughing with Connor while Kendra tries to escape
"no such luck, missy" (I noticed I keep calling her "missy" - what's with that?!)
It was very strange every time someone asked us, "so how do you know T & E?" and I'd say, "oh, we did our IVFs together, only thing theirs worked, ours didn't so we had to go back for round 2" ............... LOL

Good thing I'm not shy.

Robynne, my kids loved all the people (I think they're getting more sociable), Kendra especially, and we didn't even have to look after them very much because everybody else wanted to hold them or play with them.

look how tall she's getting!
(she doesn't even weigh enough to properly fit 3 - 6 months but those long legs mean I have to buy 6 - 12 months)

P.S. The pics give you a guess as to what we've decided on their bday party theme. Mandy P, you're not allowed to guess but as for the rest, have at it!

7 comments:

  1. Oh these are cute pictures. Glad you had a good time.

    I know you want to keep away clutter so here's my 10 cents worth - do not buy those balls. They are everywhere. They do not "do" much and the kids grow pretty tired of them very soon. Rather get a sandbox outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't spoil the surprise :-)
    I have emailed you a couple of times about the party planning/invites and haven't heard back. Are you getting them? Just checking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat, really??? They looked so happy in there but I will take your advice. Interestingly enough, D said we should rather get sand than the balls.

    BTW, were you in Woolies Eastgate yesterday? There was someone who looked very similar to you but I though, "noooo, can't possibly be"

    Mandy, I got your mail. Only one though - yesterday I ran out of time (my 2-hour computer limit) so will respond today from home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh they are getting so big!!! And great party to go to. I don't know a lot of signing, but I do know quite a bit. DH can't hear in background noise and we used to use it a lot when we were dating and living in Philly. There's a lot of background noise in the city. BTW, DH had another set of tubes put in his ears yesterday. I had to take him back and forth to out-patient surgery for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! I kind of like the fact that you're calling Kendra "missy."

    The ball pit is the best.

    I think the theme of the party is carnivals...I saw a balloon thing in the background of one of the pictures...did I win???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm yeah I was thinking circus-y ;)

    What a loved baby that couple have :) Stories like that make me all mushy inside.

    Yours are growing. Like weeds. C looks like SUCH a boy now, not much of a baby me thinks. And K? Gorgeous as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun!

    Polka dots?

    My boyfriend in college was hard-of-hearing and I had a Deaf friend in graduate school, but my American Sign Language skills have decayed to non-existent.

    I have a former neighbour with a Deaf son and a hearing one. They moved to be closer to a school that teaches in both Sign and English, which both boys can attend. I'm so glad we have that sort of thing in our community!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails