Thursday, June 10, 2010

They're just not that into me

Well, I just had the most enlightening conversation with an HR person.

I applied for a role that was maybe a bit too senior (at the time I thought, "what's the worse that can happen?") and my application was unsuccessful.

The HR person and I met so she could give me feedback.

Bottom line, the reasons they rejected me are the very things I'm extremely strong on - quality management.

Gosh, I was gobsmacked.

Anyone who has ever worked with me knows what I'm like.

But whatever. I accept that all of my previous roles were not quality management roles, per se.

I expected my application to be unsuccessful but thought it might bring me to their attention for something else within the team...

I wanted to title this post "devastated" but thought that's a bit dramatic considering I used that word to describe my feelings after my first failed IVF.

But it's clear that they're just not that into me.

This rejection thing gets old very quickly.

The sad (and encouraging) thing is it seems my wonderful boss is the only one who sees my potential here and that is disheartening to me.

I really, really need to move but my work self-confidence is so low that I find myself questioning whether I can do "outputs" when I read through job specs.

You should know that I don't have a problem with self-confidence normally - this is So Unlike Me.

I usually feel like any company would be lucky to get me.

I heard Mike Murdock speak once and he said something so profound I've never forgotten it - "everybody is a genius somewhere. A fish is a genius in water. When you find the right environment, you'll be a genius there"

Firmly believe that.

I've seen people who were not performing in a particular role move to something else and FLOURISH.

I guess I need to find the right environment for me.

*sigh*

Are you in your perfect environment at the moment?

P.S. Wow, looks like you really like talking about birthday parties :) I LOVED all the comments. Mandy P, thanks - you really, really clarified my thinking - will email you....

P.P.S. Went to see Sex and the City 2 with my friend last night (it was great, we are going to do more girl stuff together) and Shelby, I loved it. I enjoyed it much more than the first one. Strangely, I hated the TV series.

4 comments:

  1. What?!! Hated the TV series. ...well, I guess you're right: To each his own. :) I'm glad you liked it. I think I was so disappointed because I LOVED the TV series and the first movie was so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that genius statement. Brilliant. Truly brilliant.

    Well, those dorks don't know what they're missing!!

    And now, it must be time for you to educate us on lowered professional self-esteem following children... surely it's a syndrome. Seems pretty common in all circles.

    Glad you enjoyed the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ag well, you know, I am happy as I am my own boss - but I am a really tough boss on myself.

    I certainly wish you the best of luck in finding your water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw that sux. They are totally missing out! You are clearly a wonderfully intelligent and talented lady! Love the fish quote, that really struck a chord with me. Don't be too hung up on what they say, HR is never the best at making you feel good :P Take some time to regroup and plan your next move.

    Best wishes! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails