Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Sleep update!

Sadia and I were writing emails behind the scenes and she said it seemed like I'm not as bothered by the babies' sleep anymore.

That's true!

They're 5 days away from 11 months and every month it does actually get better.

Of course I never DREAMED I'd wait this long for my precious sleep. Why do people lie about this stuff?

Once you actually start talking about it, it seems like 7 out of 10 people at work are not sleeping because of small children.

Just today I spoke to a lady at work who asked after the twins (we'd chatted before about my infertility when we were about to embark on IVF2) and I said, "just 4 months ago we were still waking up 3 times a night PER BABY".

She went white and was horrified. Maybe at the thought of twins?

(I also happen to know she's about to start IVF for number 2 - a little birdie told me)

At the weekend I read through my goals inside my wardrobe and under "babies" I had 5 points and all 4 are done except for "sleeping through the night".

The sad thing as I said to D was that I honestly believed the hype from other mothers - "oh it will happen at 12 weeks" then "at 6 months" and so on.

And then I'd hope every month - maybe by 7 months? 8 months?

!

Sister Lilian's workshop calmed me down but I'd by lying if I said I was 100% fine with them not sleeping through as I believe it should happen (12 hours a night).

However, these days it doesn't bother me as much.

You know how I know that?

I looked on the summary page of The Notebook and saw I hadn't even bothered to complete it for about 10 days.

Seems Sister Lilian was right - if you stop focusing on the bad stuff, you stop the stressing about it.

But being the type of person I am, I then did all my calculations and whatnot.

I just did the last bit to round out the month and...

Kendra
  • slept through twice
  • woke twice per night three times
  • and only woke once the rest of the month

Connor
  • slept through four times
  • woke twice per night twice
  • and only woke once the rest of the month

The once a night wakes are very late - from 3:30 - 4:30 - which, as you know, is 10 - 11 hours from their last feed as mine go to sleep early so I can relax at 6pm sharp with a mug of tea and The Bold and The Beautiful.

It's the small things in life.

They have stabilised a lot. And I'm very grateful because I get about 7 hours sleep a night.

What's the deal with this sympathy crying though?

When one wakes crying, 95% of the time the other wakes too and starts crying. Why????

They do this sympathy crying during the day too.

Kendra more so than Connor but he does it too.

At first I was confused but now I just laugh at them. And I try to ignore the sympathy crier.

I know, mother-of-the-year material :)

But sometimes they do stop so it does work.

Back to middle-of-the-night feeds...

With the sympathy crying/ waking, we're so sleepy we just plop a bottle in the other's mouth too.

I have these fancy plans of just putting a dummy back in. But it only works when I'm properly awake. All bets are off once we go to bed.

And not to be Pollyanna-ish about it, but really, how can I complain about getting up for 10 minutes a night to pop a bottle in two babies' mouths and get the next set ready?

I do complain when I don't fall asleep in a flash again though.

I realise again and again that food has little to do with sleep as there have been days when the babies refused their meals and still slept exactly the same as the days when they eat really well.

I know no-one else's angels eat badly but this is our new thing, just to keep us on our toes. A whole 'nother post.

P.S. Let's pretend I didn't write this post as I don't want to jinx things now that they're 90% there.

12 comments:

  1. Are they REALLY almost 11 months? Where oh where has that time gone??!

    And r.e. lies and babies. We should make a list of things people lie about. Sleep would be there. Feeding would be there. What else? Surely people can add to the list...

    It's v cute that you have goals for the babies :) Mind you, we had one. To stop puking. She's mostly achieved that now. Enough for me to take her out in public :)

    Yours do go to bed so much earlier than ours. Minxy goes down some time from about 7.30 - 8 these days. And today, my dear, after a day of whingy teething, I have a glass of wine in hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't everybody have goals for their babies? LOL

    Lies... sleep, feeding, how easy it is to get pregnant and stay pregnant and how you'll bond easily and how you just LOVE that little one immediately......... oh the list goes on and on

    Enjoy your wine - I have to run - 3 interviews now one after the other. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ug Marcia, I widh I could tell you you are there. Sleep with the twins have been a rocky road - our no 1 is one of those rare finds - she started sleeping through at 12 weeks and has never stopped. We were spoiled.

    The twins started sleeping through at 10 and 11 weeks - we thought we had this thing sorted. Not so. At 6 months after a hospital stay it all went wrong.

    What did work is the sleeptraining I did with Little man L last year - he is now a consistent sleeper and might wake up when he gets cold or so - say ever two weeks or so. C is another storey - we have a problem developing. Up, every night, at 3. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sympathy crying? My kids laugh at each other when they're crying...nice, huh? We still get up most nights...typically to rearrange a half-sleeping child who has gotten him/herself into an inexplicably complicated sleeping position...

    Plus sickness...sickness always screws us. I can't believe they're going to be 11 months soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:25 pm

    About the sympathy crying... awww, c'mon. You know it's not just Connor who cries when Kendra wakes...you cry too!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you considered doing some version of Cry-It-Out or is that something you and your husband are opposed to? I ask because most everyone I know has had it work for them (if they are consistent!). At 11 months, it might take your kids a bit longer than the usual 4-5 nights but my guess is that in a week or so of cry-it-out, they will be giving you a solid 11-12 hours of quite in their cribs. At that age, we did 630pm-630am. at 18 months, its more like 7-7 but still 12 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would consider sleeping 10 - 11 hours as "sleeping through the night". Our girls started sleeping through the night at about 3 months of age, but never more than 10 - 11 hours. These days, bedtime is at 7:30, and I get them up about 6:45 in the mornings. They usually start to wake up around 6:00, but I let them "talk" (as long as they don't cry) until 6:45.

    And wow...11 months old...time does fly! :) Our girls will be 17 months on Saturday. I'm planning another "1/2 birthday" celebration (with just the girls, the hubby, and me) when they turn 18 months. Last year I made them each 1/2 a cake (although they couldn't eat it!). I'm not sure what we'll cook up this year, but I'm looking forward to it already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to say, sleep hasn't been an issue with us since they were 5 months old. What is difficult is they are getting used to sleeping other places than their crib. I'm trying to train them to sleep with little fuss in their pack and play when we are visiting family. I also can't put them in the same pack and play anymore to sleep as they either play or fight together, but no sleeping. This is very important for them to learn as we are going on vacation this summer and I don't want to be tied to the house for them to sleep at naptime if we are visiting friends (and their pool) this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, when Cole and Bella were babies, I had a friend who's baby slept 12 hours every night at the age of 12 weeks. I have no idea how she did it but it was all I could focus on and it was so frustrating. But once I let go of that goal and realized that MY kids weren't gonna be that easy about it, it didn't seem as horrible.

    I think if you go into the parenthood deal expecting to be up in the middle of the night at least 2-3 times for the first year, you don't end up as frustrated.

    It's realistic and it's normal, such is life with twins!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liars!! They are all liars!! = )
    Actually, some extremely lucky people have babies that sleep early on! I talked to a lady with a 7 week old baby and she said, "I only have to get up once a night and feed him!". Wanted to punch her. Yours go to bed early! BB doesn't go to sleep until around 8:30! And she is still up at 6 am! No 11 or 12 hours for us! Anyway, glad to know that you are relaxing! No need to fight it anyway, huh? Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on getting some sleep!!!!!! I just can't imagine going that long without the babies sleeping through the night. Bless your heart!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Josie is 1 week old and I'm wondering when I will get some sanity back. :) I have friends whose kids started sleeping through the night on their own at 2 months old (both little girls). I know I won't be that lucky but I'm trying with a bedtime routine already. Once a night sounds like a dream right now but I'm not working! Anyway, haven't been able to comment lately because my brain isn't focusing but I'm still loyally reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails