Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Not quite a Zen mommy

I'm obsessed with baby feet!

I am totally alone with the babies on Fridays.

This is a really big deal for me because they scare me - are you surprised?

I read one of the comments on Tertia's newborn post where a lady said she loved the newborn stage because it allowed her to be all bohemian - wear the baby, breastfeed the baby, co-slept with the baby and it was the only time that people didn't think her messy house was a problem :). She said she milked the new baby stage as long as she could.

I had an epiphany and decided to throw out all my to-do list, at least on Fridays.

So I have one main goal - that the babies are alive and fed by the time D gets home. That's it!

If I'm not showered or dressed, so be it.

If the laundry doesn't get done, again, so be it. Actually this is my second goal.

My third is to make up bottles.

That's it.

So the first Friday when I tried this Zen mommy approach we all had a wonderful day.

Lest you think everything's all roses, a "wonderful day" in our household does involve Kendra screaming like crazy at some point during the day.

K at 12 weeks - see how the cheeks are filling out?


The babies were sleeping sweetly at various times through the day and I got the laundry done plus made bottles!

Wonderful!

I was unshowered and in my pajamas the whole day but so what?

The next Friday was even better - I think I managed to get showered and changed at about 3.30! Woohoo!

And so it's been going until last week.

Because you know that two steps forward, one back thing...

Well, we had the most horrible Friday yet!

It was hot as hell here (I hate the heat) - in the 30's (Celsius) and Connor would not sleep. He slept for a total of 30 minutes the entire day from 7am to 7pm, and was very niggly the rest of the time.

You know it's bad when your "difficult" baby starts looking like the good one.

(I actually don't call them the good one and the naughty one very often!)

And of course, Kendra was Kendra.

Thank goodness the weather's been better and with it, my baby's temperament.

But Kendra is sick with a cold.

As I type this, I can hear her hacking away - poor thing!


I took her to the doctor on Monday and we got some nose drops but I think it's gotten worse now. On the bright side, she slept VERY well last night (5,5 hours and 4 hours).

D and I are a bit niggly too so I'm wearing surgical masks when I touch or am around the babies to prevent any other germs from getting to them.

So we try again on Friday. Pray that the babies co-operate because we're having visitors and it could be hell on earth with four babies screaming :)

8 comments:

  1. "Kids are still alive" ... that was my goal, too, for much of the infant stage. And now, it's all a blurry memory of snuggling and nursing. The diapers, the screaming, the endless nebulizer treatments, and the sleeplessness have all receded to the back of my memory.

    Yeah, I wanted to strangle all the mothers of older twins who told me that then too, with their perfect hair and makeup and kids who didn't need to be carried everywhere.

    Just concentrate on surviving for now. It's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Changing to this mindset has helped me too. Showering is a luxury, and most days doesn't happen. And I want my house to be clean, but most of the time I have to wait until Jesse is home to help me. In the meanwhile, my goals are to feed Josiah, make sure I enjoy cuddling with him (even if he's being fussy and won't let me put him down) and eat lunch myself. If I accomplish just that, I've done good. If I accomplish more, it's something praiseworthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing, Sadia, because you physically do it on your own (I read your archives so I won’t say you’re a single parent J).

    The doc said they’re technically 8 weeks now (even though 14 weeks old) so I can expect some improvements in the sleep patterns.

    I can’t wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, absolutely food before laundry LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's too funny...I actually said that to my husband one day.

    Husband: What did you do today?
    Me (looking a little like a murderer): The kids are alive...enough with the questions.

    Such a joyful time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GET A MOBY WRAP NOW!!! www.mobywrap.com

    This is the ONLY thing that calms BB down...she's been extremely fussy in the evenings.

    She is SOOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't brush my teeth till 9 pm the other night....I know, gross!!! And, I wear my pj's all day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your compliment about the design - I did that myself actually. Thanks for also letting me know you also couldn't comment. Think I have it fixed now! :) Your blog is great! I am really enjoying following your journey with your sweet little ones and will be making a list of all of your helpful tips for when our babies arrive.

    I LOVE your Friday gameplan, by the way! Taking time to enjoy them and allowing yourself to relax a little has to be super important!

    ~Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails