Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Pregnancy weight and getting back into my work clothes

I'm a strange sort of person. I am VERY plain, don't go for anything "fashionable" and as a result, the things I buy generally last me years and years, especially work clothes.

Perfect example - this pic was taken at our Infertility Group's Bling Party. I'm on the left, R in middle (mother to twin girls) and Nat's on the right.


I wear my wedding ring and one other ring on the other hand, a set of pearl studs and that's it.

Handbags is where I have it going on. Not joking but I probably have 20 - 25. I'll count when I'm not feeling so lazy.

Tell me I'm not the only Plain Jane out there!

Back to the weight.

After the babies were born, I lost all but about 2,3 kg (around 5 pounds) of the weight very quickly (probably 3 weeks).

And then it took another 6 weeks or so to get rid of nearly 2kg.

I've had that last 0.5 kg (1 pound) for months and months and months.

It would help if I stopped eating huge slabs of Cadbury's dairy milk chocolate. And actually started going to gym. But mostly I was tired and couldn't be bothered.

Until I realised that I'm going back to work and I need to wear clothes in which I can actually see clients.

And nothing in the shops is the least bit appealing to me, being a non-fashion person. I have made a very slight effort by glancing into the clothing stores every week or so...

What do you do when you're very cross?

I clean, cook or organise furiously.

So the week when I was so stressed, my freezer was still full so it was pointless me cooking, the house was reasonably clean so I looked at my list of things to do and saw I still needed to fit on all my summer work clothes.

Which I did.

People, I don't recommend doing this when you're already in a bad mood.

It basically freaked me out a lot.

Of ALL my stuff (and I have about 12 - 15 skirt/ pants suits, 7 - 8 pairs of pants and about 3 skirts), guess what still fit?

3 pairs of pants and one skirt. And of course, my maternity pants which I'm oh so tempted to continue wearing.

It's this skirt I wore in my 14-week preggy pics and I was wearing the two pairs of pants up to 18 weeks so I don't know if they actually count.

And I was only 0.5 kg over the pre-preg weight.

On the bright side, at least I do have SOME clothes to wear. My tops were all fine though, probably because I don't wear very tight things.

I may have to stop being so cheap and actually go buy some expensive stuff that will fit well - I'll see.

But then... good news.

Last Thursday 3 Dec I jumped on the scale as I do every morning (yes, I like to torture myself) and lo and behold, I was back to pre-preg weight, 59 kg exactly.

I could hardly believe it even though I'd seen the scale going down to 59.4.... 59.3 .... so I took a pic.

I'm convinced everything moves around though because before babies, I didn't have the flabby tummy (have all the muscles inside just relaxed?) and my pants and skirts could actually zip up.

I did nothing to lose this weight, btw, I think it's all the running around after the babies at night. Seriously.

Now I need to lose another 2 kg which is all due to the fertility drugs from the IVFs. And I need to tone the flabby tummy so I can get into the rest of my clothes.

P.S. This day last year my babies were made. Here is a pic of bloated tummy with my 5 eggs just prior to egg retrieval.

P.P.S. This is my 30-minute post for the blog challenge.

P.P.P.S. Off to the gym now. Before you think I'm all virtuous, going to do a fitness assessment. Why do I persist with the torture?!

8 comments:

  1. This is so normal. After having our DD 9 years ago (and I was under 30 years old back then!), it took me a year to be able to fit back in my pants and skirts. Now it's 6 months after having "the boys" and I can fit into mostly everything. I think it's that they never let me sit down!!!! I'm always doing something and it takes the weight off. Now I'm starting to work out this week. I need to tone things up. Hopefully I can stick to working out at night.

    And I prefer the term "Classic" to "Plain Jane". All my clothes are classics so they last forever. And my standard jewelry is my wedding ring, watch and I have a pair of black pearl earrings, but sometimes I wear another pair of everyday earrings.

    Congrats on getting back to your pre-pregnancy weight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!

    I have been working on loosing the same 20 pounds or so. For 5 years. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I love it - classic :)

    In the back of my mind, I gave myself until going back to work to get to the pre-preg weight.... but it's a miracle I actually got there what with the no exercising and chocolate habit I have going on.

    I'm now setting new goals because I don't want to get used to the flabby tummy as I'll then keep making excuses.

    Kim, you are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure my body is totally different after having the babies. I weigh less now than I did when I got pregnant, but it's all in different areas now. I try not to think about the flabby tummy (complete with stretch marks-ugh!) too much! Overall, I'm okay with the new me...I figure I will burn another couple of pounds when they start crawling/walking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leigh- Your twins are precious! LOVED your comment on my HDYDI post. An Infertility Support Group is wonderful!! For some reason, I couldn't bring myself to go to the group at my church when I was going thru infertility... I don't think I wanted to admit it or something! But NOW I LOVE chatting with and helping other women who've been through the same thing I did. What a blessing I'm sure you are to so many you support!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So after having four kids in seven years I weigh just about 3 pounds more than I did before the kiddos. Yippeee for me! However, it has absolutely all moved around on me and there is no way any of my old clothes fit anymore. Whenever I get crabby about it I try to remind myself that I at a perfectly healthy weight for my frame, am still considered thin by most women's standards, and my kids are sooo worth the extra jiggle in my mid-section. Then I go eat chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm catching up. Sorry for the late comment.

    It's not the weight that makes the clothes fit funnily for me, but the post-pregnancy redistribution. I weigh what I did before I got pregnant, perhaps a little less, but now I have a belly and no behind, where I used to have the opposite.

    On the upside, carrying two children around for three years has given me killer arms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading back on your old posts - it's the way our bodies change- not the weight.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails