Wednesday, October 19, 2011

This makes me come alive

So on Saturday we had a film shoot scheduled at work.

I've been working on this project for a year now - I think 13 months actually - and so this was an important day for me.

D was not in favour of me going until we "negotiated" and said I'd only stay for an hour. I didn't see that there would be any problems with my health as I knew there was a place for The Client (us) to sit outside of the action of the main people.

I knew he'd love it too - D studied TV and Film at Rhodes.

Anyway, so we went - very late - but we went.

And it was fabulous - I can't quite explain how it felt to see 13 months of work finally coming to SOMETHING tangible.

Seriously - I think I had a few tears in my eyes because it was perfect.

I went with the director on the location scouting (whatever...) and finally I got why he loved a stupid pink suede chair. It was PERFECT.

The people we used love us and we love them.

We have FULL confidence in their expertise but we're also highly engaged in the process (I happen to think this makes us a good client but that could be my justification for my control freak tendencies...).

Anyhow.

The actors were perfect, the setting was perfect, but do you know what I most enjoyed?

Seeing them (agency people) in their passion.

The director was in the zone and was doing his thing. It was FABULOUS to see - I truly love it.

BTW, D and I used to have these discussions in the early days and we agreed that I would make a good producer while he would make a good director. Apparently I'm bossy? :)

And then today was post-production which was even more fabulous than Sat, if possible.

Oh my gosh - they translated the vision we've had for this project and made something of it.

We were DELIGHTED.

We had client approval first - so we fiddled some more with some frames and angles (see how I've got the lingo?!) - and then later on our partners joined us and we had partner approval (some more fiddling and playing with some other stuff.

Next up is sound and then online, and then "grading" which is another cool thing they told me about today.

I can't believe I get PAID to have THIS much fun.

I had a BALL today.

Again, post-production guy who did the editing was OUTSTANDING. I called him a genius about 10 times from 9 - 2.

(Aren't we lovely clients?)

Our agency told him, "Marcia is not easily impressed so this is great feedback" LOL They lie - I highly appreciate speed and competence, and this guy had both in spades!

I personally also appreciate people who have the patience to do things I don't (I can't even put a photo book together - I'd about go dilly trying to edit anything).

When we took a break, we went onto Jeanette's website to look at our photoshoot and they all (arty types so no surprise) LOVED the Newtown shoot. They loved the contrast between the sweetness of the babies, esp with teddies, against the grunginess of the city and the graffiti. Of course I sent her a text to tell her.

So that was my first day back at work after the op.

A fantastic day.

I rate it a 9.5 (babies were also well-behaved tonight).

Tell me one thing that makes you come alive

7 comments:

  1. That's fantastic, Marcia! I love hearing your "voice" in your writing! And so glad you had such an awesome first day back!

    I'll say, I love creativity and energy. These days, that might be a really neat craft project or a beautifully presented meal at a restaurant.

    There's lots more, but that's the first thing that comes to mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative and I love hearing about your passions in life too! My current thing that makes me come alive is my workouts! I've been doing the Beachbody P90X. I just finished Day 10 and I'm so excited!!! I'm feeling so much more energetic and my lower back is not aching me every morning anymore. Every workout, I seem to be able to do more than the day before, so that gives me some real excitement.

    I'm also working up a deck for my team and bosses going over my strategy for my team for 2012 and I'm very excited about that. Everyone I've talked to so far can see how excited I get. If everyone loves it as much as I do, I'll spend November planning out our baby steps, starting some immediate easy gains ASAP, and planning out our first quarter goals for making our team better than ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that must be a fantastic experience. I once had a little TV experience - I did the judging and a insert feature on a TV program for SABC 2 where the people had to finish half finished houses I designed called "On site" in 2005 - it was such a fun experience.

    Me, my sanity day off tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Sounds like you had an incredible awesome experience. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Wow. Wow. LOVE creativity and energy. What makes me come alive? Watching people play music. I can ALWAYS tell if they are enjoying themselves or not. I can ALWAYS tell if they are one with their instrument. I get goosebumps. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good thunderstorm...bit of lightning...wind whipping through my hair...and then those big fat drops start dropping in the dust. I LOVE it! I would happily run around getting drenched in one of those storms any day. Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so nice to have a great day!

    What makes me come alive?
    1. Watching my students really "get" something for the first time.
    2. Being able to do a workout move that I didn't think I could do.
    3. Listening to the Crazies have conversations and knowing how I have shaped them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails