Sunday, July 08, 2012

I don't like Mondays



1. Thank you for all your lovely comments (I loved Johanna's the most :)) on the babies' birthday post.

The babies had a good day and I did in patches, but overall I'd say about a 4/5 out of 10. To be honest, one of the worst weekend days I've had in a long while. The primary reason? Mismatched expectations. The day did not go how I wanted or expected it to and next year I will be even more firm and clear.

We've already had 4 sets of gifts and I had to do some reorganising this morning to accommodate those.

2. I got a bee in my bonnet and so at 5:30 this afternoon when I got home (btw, the worst of winter is over because it's only getting dark close to 6) I moved furniture around the house. I swopped the wicker drawer sets in the bathroom and study which means the study is still mostly a mess.

I'm not done yet - I want the bookshelf our of our bedroom and in the sunroom/ entrance area and the chair from the study in the bedroom.

The problem with me and all this shifting around is I have no spatial giftedness :) I only know if I like something if I see it in its intended position so if it doesn't look right, it's got to be moved again. Imagine how popular I am with D.


3. Today Connor put me in time-out for saying, "oh cr*p". He's right... but to explain, he was on the loo and when I went to check on him, there was toothpaste ALL over his pants.

He woke up coughing terribly so I stayed home from church with him while the other two went.

We then swopped babies (!) and I took Kendra to this party.

Of course we got lost - honestly I just decided this is just my thing. I had the navigation thing on the iPad, I'd google-mapped it and STILL I got lost. When we got to Kyalami I figured we were lost.

Me Baby, we're LOST.

Kendra What does lost mean?

Me It's when I don't know where we are and how to get to where we're meant to be. So if I can't figure it out, we're going to have to go home.

Kendra NOOOO! Mummy, we will find the way. Don't worry.

(my little encourager is very cute, but do you think she was motivated by the sweets? She had one marshmallow, one jelly worm and a 3 X 2 cm block of chocolate cake, a meatball, chicken kebab and a tomato :))

We phoned my friend and apparently I drove right by the place so we retraced steps and found it. Thank God.

And so ends another weekend.

The title of this post is the song running through my head at the moment.

What's the song running through your head?


How was your weekend?

PS Also, seriously, are there no Seinfeld fans who read this blog? I'm slightly aghast!

13 comments:

  1. Seinfeld fan here!!! J and I practically built our relationship watching Seinfeld reruns and Chicago Bulls basketball. ;) Those were the days! (We've started DVR'ing some reruns of Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond, another couple of favorite shows...it's such a fun throw-back!)

    I completely get the mismatched expectations. And sometimes, even when your expectations match your spouse's...the kiddos don't respond as you'd expect. I think it's just part of it. I'm sorry the day itself wasn't everything you'd hoped...but I hope you can hang on to some of the bright spots I'm sure you had here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its just unfortunate that I am writing this comment on a Monday :-(
    Enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh expectations! The fall of the joy of many many weekends. Ours have been an organizing one and I feel rather tired today - and had the crappiest day in the kitchen yesterday. Hope ypu have a better day than anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh expectations! The fall of the joy of many many weekends. Ours have been an organizing one and I feel rather tired today - and had the crappiest day in the kitchen yesterday. Hope ypu have a better day than anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Seinfeld- we own all the seasons on DVD ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As in the Boomtown Rats song I Don't Like Mondays? I love that song. Right now I have the new song "Call Me Maybe" stuck in my head. I get expectations about what a day will be like too and I get frustrated when it doesn't turn out that way. Hope it gets better with another day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sesame Street theme song! Haha!

    I'm sorry, I never got into Seinfeld. Just not my kind of humor.

    I'm sorry you had a lousy day. :(

    It was 103 degrees here Sat/Sun so we didn't do much. Went to a kid Bounce and Play place and were not impressed (maybe in a year?). And out to eat. Yesterday I had some mom time-haircut/shopping!

    Are you as productive when your husband is home? I'm kinda glad mine is at work today so I can get stuff done! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah man. I HATE when mismatched expectations ruin experiences for us. I’m so sorry.

    I actually don’t know Seinfeld at all. I’m actually nervous to watch comedy because I always expect to hate it. However Lance is a HUGE fan and has been trying to get me into Seinfeld for years now. Maybe I will indulge him this year. He always wants me to watch when I’m busy and I can’t AT THAT MOMENT.

    LOL at timeout. I would LOVE one of my kids to put me in time out. I think I would ENJOY 33 minutes of peace and quiet.

    The song going through my head all day was Lucky (sung by Jason Mraz and Colby Caillat). Do you know it? Watch it on you-tube It's BEAUTIFUL.

    My weekend was COLD and we were at home for most of it seeing that we have no car at the moment. I mostly read in bed and napped. Kids did much of the same although their weekend included a movie or two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ps...I get SUCH a kick out of that 2nd pic with the sticker!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Expectations lead to disappointment, so I sometimes hope for failure. LOL I wish I were kidding. I'm trying to lower my expectations for their birthday and vacation. I have to admit that I'm usually more let down by the hubs than the children. I can't write the children off for lack of sleep/food/something. He has no excuse!!

    And to put it out there, I've never really got Seinfeld. Please don't hate me!

    Head up, tomorrow is another day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry things didn't go as planned. Hope the kids are feeling better though and you are in a better space...

    Seinfeld got me through Grad School used to watch at least 2 episodes every night, who doesn't like George and Kramer, they were my favourite characters. I think I've seen 5 or 6 seasons.

    Right now no song is playing in my head but most mornings it's either Shout to the Lord or You are the Living word, one of them comes on when my alarm goes off every morning

    ReplyDelete
  12. WooHoo - a shout out to ME! I'm so lame - I had to go back and check to make sure you don't know TWO Johannas. :)

    I love that little Connor put you in time out. That is fantastic! I don't love that he has a cough - hope he is better now.

    And on expectations... I like Eeyore's perspective: "High hopes, Low expectations" Haha! I think with twins, we just have to go with the flow, right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha @ Connor putting you in time out and Kendra telling you there is a way!

    I don't have anything stuck in my head right now, but I was walking around for a couple of weeks with Arlandria (Foo Fighters) not too long ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails