Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Hello Mama Cat - a post about books and reading goals


This is for Mama Cat - I don't have your email address... and not sure if you check back in the comments?

I don't re-read books intentionally either. I have sometimes been about 20% through a book and felt like I'd read it before, checked my Goodreads and yes, about 7 years ago or something like that :)

I don't have to force myself to read (much) anyway. The specific goal mentioned in the post is due to my lack of self-control with books - I used to just buy and buy and I had BOOKSHELVES full, but could never get to because I kept buying. So I stopped (mostly) buying physical books about 4 years ago and that's since been a goal - to finish all the physical books on my shelf. The one I referred to in the post is the last physical NOVEL I have left - hallelujah!

I still have about two shelves of non-fiction. So things are looking up!

The goal is to finish all of these books and then just buy Kindle books.

I can comfortably read 4 books a month, so I had a goal for a long time of 5 books - that's purely to "force" me to relax because that 5th book means I would have had to create and carve out time aside from my standard before bedtime just to read. That's now a habit so I'm happy with my book reading.

My reading goal this year is 70 books because I've reached that number or close to it comfortably in the past - I read a LOT on holidays so it evens out the months when I read "only" 5.

This is a really nice explanation of the reading goals I posted on the blog looong ago.

Who else has questions about books or reading? (I will answer in the comments)

Do you re-read books?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Marcia, I appreciate you taking the time to make such a comprehensive reply. It makes sense now. I am big at the library. I read a whole heap on my tablet and it allows me to read in the dark too (I already wear glasses). I stopped buying physical books, unless it is part of a series that I want to complete for my bookshelf. I like the library because I can still get the feel for a book and also choose random books by their cover...this lets me read genres and authors would not normally choose.
    Do you still read books not on your shelf, eg. I lend and borrow physical books with people I work with and friends (it has to be people I trust to take care of return my books, I am not shy about saying no.)
    Once again, thanks for the reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely read other books. That's probably why it's taking so long :) I would say 1 - 2 shelf books and the rest are Kindle books every month!

      Once I finish all the novels, and those on my Kindle (hoping to get a few for birthday gifts), I'm going to have to start going to the library again too.

      Love your book boundaries. I am VERY fussy about my books. If I truly love a book, I just won't lend it (I'll rather buy someone else one) but I do make sure the people are super fussy like me. I've let two friends borrow books before and while they were nice people, they'll never get their hands on a book of mine again, unless I was planning to donate it anyway!

      #superfussyaboutbooks

      Delete
  2. I can only reread certain books and I usually reread them at a specific point in my life. One book I LOVE to reread is The Shack. I usually reread it when I've gone through something painful. And then there are certain chapters within books that I LOVE rereading. There’s a chapter on FEAR in Life Of Pi that is just BEAUTIFUL. I think I should blog about that actually. Sometimes if a book has gone over my head then I may reread it – not immediately though. MUCH later. I find that my enjoyment of a book depends on where I’m at in my life and sometimes I’m just not ready for a specific read. Something I DO struggle to do is to stop reading something that I’m not particularly enjoying. Especially if it was a gift! I feel AWFUL when I do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book has to be superb for me to re-read it. Back in the days I think I read many Sheldon novels again but now - nope. If NF depending on the subject covered I might re-read a chapter or two

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails