Saturday, September 27, 2014

Thoughts on the traffic and how denial is a good thing

Well, I've been working at New Company (NC) for three weeks now and things are still good.

So NC is only about 8 km further than old company but the traffic is much worse.

If you read this post on the traffic, you may be wondering how on earth it is that I'm actually calm...

Well there's a back story.

When I was first approached about this job, I thought definitely not but I sent through my CV anyway since the job looked interesting, at least on paper.

I suspended all judgement til after I'd met them (first interview) and then I prayed a strange prayer, "God, if this is from you, then open my mind to the TRAFFIC but if it's not from you, shut it all down super quickly".

Boom, boom, boom. I'm now working here.



I decided to use my fabulous denial skills so I'm not thinking about the traffic at all while I wait for my new neural pathways to kick in.

In other words, I'm creating new traffic habits that my brain and body are getting used to. I mean, the other morning I didn't even stress in the traffic.

BIG news for me!

We've had bad traffic once (Praise the Lord!) but the rest of the time it's been (honestly) fine.

We leave home at 7:30 ish (kids!), drop kids and then hit the roads. And I'm there latest 8:20 except for that one day which was an 8:45 day.

I'm also employing some other tactics to help me, like this:

My previous commute was 25 - 30 minutes so I now tell myself that I can't even THINK about complaining for the first 30 minutes. And then it's the not-too-bad part for the last 10 - 15 minutes :)

So all my mental tomfoolery is working for the moment.

I still haven't driven in the rain yet so I might have to come back and do a rebuttal then!

Do you play mind games in the traffic?

2 comments:

  1. Luckily I haven't been dealing with traffic much but on the few and far between days I have I prepare a mental to do list. I find sitting in traffic a waste of man hours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true, but it doesn't have to be a complete waste. the comments on that post I linked to had some suggestions for combatting traffic wastage time :)

      D and I are enjoying great quality time when we're together and when I drive by myself, it's praise and worship, and prayer time.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails