Tuesday, October 14, 2014

My "famous" yoghurt pops

I'm not a lover of ice-cream.

I know, it's weird. But there are about 10 other things I'd rather have for dessert first (anything apple!). I do like custard over ice-cream....

Interestingly, the only time I really crave ice-cream is in the dead of winter. It happens so infrequently that we never buy a tub of ice-cream; we just go past Steers or KFC and get soft-serve cones.

So in summer I make yoghurt pops for the kids.



It uses yoghurt just as you buy it in the tub - I like flavours like berry, strawberry or apricot. I'm going to make some caramel ones soon too.

I used to put these into the ice lolly moulds but then I saw something on (I think) a cup of Jo that triggered my thinking.

The lady put ice-cream sticks into water ice blocks for her baby to suck on. Good idea and it gets them used to enjoying water (!) as a cold treat in summer. I feel slightly cross that I didn't think of this myself.

ANYWAY. I made some yoghurt pops in ice trays with the ice-cream sticks. These are the ones I mentioned here.

I love the snack size and we've been having them after supper as our dessert. I will make the standard ice-lolly ones too for when the kids are playing outside properly, but these work really well to cool them down quickly and as a little treat. Pics here of the standard yoghurt pops.



I bought about a million ice-cream sticks - okay probably 50-100? - at Westpack for R12,95... and I'm washing them to reuse! Let's call it "green" instead of "cheap".

Method
  1. Put a dollop of yoghurt in each ice cube section, insert an ice-cream stick and pop into the freezer.
  2. Warning for the perfectionists - the sticks won't be at perfect 90 degree angles and that's okay. Right? Seriously, the kids won't care and neither should you :)

Enjoy!

Tell me about a good idea you're using at your house these days.

11 comments:

  1. I do the fruit lolly. I puree fruit like you would baby food...like apple, pear, strawberries, bananas, add a bit of juice if you want sweeter. I like these because they do not drip when they melt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely healthier than ice cream. I got a lolly mold would usually use fruit juices to make ice lollies. Works perfect for the ice-chewing me . i wonder if it would be nice if I use plain yoghurt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm looks great. We make crayons in silicon molds in the oven from little bits of crayons. The kids enjoy it so much and we recycle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that once! I must take a few pics and put them up on the blog.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:03 pm

    I am addicted to ice cream, I can literally eat it everyday if I could - it is my one huge downfall in keeping my weight under control. We use use our ZOKU lolly maker a LOT in summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL my mother also likes icecream :)

      Delete
  5. One of my friend suggested buying one of those six pack and just putting a spoon through the lid of each one and freezing..... works well but this will be better. They are smaller and wont mess as much.

    I will try that this summer.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that when we go on holiday... with the 75 ml kid yoghurts :)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous2:04 pm

    oh gosh, had I read this before Sunday, I would not have had ice creams haha!! This is a cool idea, I shall try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails