Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Baby shower 1 - the personal one

Well, my emotions were very mixed with this whole baby shower thing.

First of all, I don't have very many close friends and no family here (which is great - no family drama!) so I only had a list of about 14 people to invite, 5 of which were from the infertility support group.

So we were going to be 10 altogether (that includes the hostess and me) but on the day I had 4 cancellations because of sickness (it's winter here so 3 of my friends had the flu and one had a family thing).

I was seriously dreading it at this point for many reasons:
  • Tried to focus on the positive which for me was seeing old friends (said old friends were no longer there)
  • My friend, A, got in so much food and I felt bad for her
  • There is just more pressure socially the fewer people there are
So here am I just before we left...

Here's my friend, A, who hosted the baby shower


What it looked like:
I LOVE BALLOONS - they instantly make me smile



This was my favourite gift because I'm a bag person and this nappy (diaper) bag had a gazillion pockets :) Got this one from my MIL (that's her in the background)

This is my friend, C, who has gorgeous twin girls


Opening up presents - look at that slope - no more b**bs, just belly!


Something that completely overwhelmed me (but I didn't cry*) was people's generosity!

There was a lady there (I'm not posting the rest of the people because I don't know if they want their pics all over the internet!) who I hadn't seen for about 2 - 3 years. When she heard I was pregnant and having twins, she was so excited and said she wanted to come. She bought a gift bag full of stuff for each of the children!

People bought tons of things for each child - it's amazing to me that other people care so much about my children and I suppose I also feel guilty because I haven't been to baby showers for at least 4 years, probably longer, and I feel like I don't deserve to be blessed with such great gifts.


So this is my brainwave - how to remember who gave which gifts.

I laid each gift out on a butler's tray and took pics like this. I'm still going through the pics and saving them by person's name. Isn't that a good idea?


So aside from there only being 6 of us, it was lovely. Low-key, no funny business and a nice time of food and friends :)

But when I got home, I don't know what happened and I got all emotional and started crying. It was crazy.

I think it started because my husband told me no-one introduced themselves to my friend, C, and I didn't either. I felt SO BAD because I'm normally very good at making sure everyone gets on and knows one another. Well, that set me off! Of course, when I apologised to her, she didn't have any problems with it but still!

I put it down to the pregnancy hormones even though this is only the 5th time I've cried since I've been pregnant. Cry 1 & 2, Cry 3, Cry 4 :)

Wrote out all the thank-you cards for this shower and two other people who gave their gifts beforehand so I felt like a rock star :)

3 comments:

  1. Now, that wasn't so bad, was it?! I'm so glad you felt so loved by those around you, even if half of your group couldn't make it. And, I'm glad you didn't have to dress up all stupid or anything. I'll be waiting to hear about your work shower...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was a great time even though you were apprehensive! And the gifts are lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so glad everything went over ok. Sounds like a good day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails