Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sleep and nanny update

K in a sling at the audiologist

C on the nanny's lap

We are sleeping much better thanks to the night nanny. We are in our routine now with Mabel here Mondays and Thursdays, and then while I'm on maternity leave, the day nanny has Fridays off but comes Friday evening to night nanny.

This means D and I have been able to do some stuff as well as get some sleep.

Mondays we just totally sleep as after the entire weekend of looking after babes we are knackered. Also remember we are 35 and 39, not in the flushes of youth :)

Thursdays our intention is to go to gym as she arrives (just before 7pm) and then come home to sleep. So far D has managed this; I can't quite think what I've been doing - I think blogging and getting ready for the next day.

Fridays is our new date night. We go to a movie or out to supper at one of the many shopping centres near where we live (not more than 5 km away - we are very blessed to stay quite centrally) and then come home to sleep.

My goal is to be in bed by 10pm; asleep by 11pm. So far so good.

My only concern is that we're getting really used to the night nanny; how will I be able to give her up? Well, aside from the small matter of finances.........

I was in denial about all the money we've been spending and it is A LOT. I could pay for an IVF with ICSI every 3 months........

But I put on my big girl panties and Did The Budget. That means I figured out how much we can actually spend out of our normal salaries vs what has to come from savings.

So while it is not pleasant to look at (I twitch sometimes thinking about The Money - good thing D doesn't do the budget - he freaks out far more easily than I do) at least I can now deal with it.

I said to a work friend that my bonus this year (we got a bonus in August) is going on NANNIES!

Ridiculous - in years past we went travelling to Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, UK, Ireland and then last year we used it for one IVF. She kindly reminded me that I have to do whatever it takes to survive this initial period. True!

And on my to-do list today is "Complete Income Tax Return" so we can get some money back from SARS and replenish that ever-dwindling savings account.

Best I get moving on that......

7 comments:

  1. Ugh...money! It's the best and worst thing in the world. Just got off the phone with my husband who said we need to have a talk about The Budget...yuck! Love the pictures of the babies sleeping...so peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, that must be what D feels like when I tell him we need to talk about Money :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad everyone else has an open relationship with their budgets! Mine is shrouded in secrecy or DH would likely jump ship! He's so worried about money I cut him out of the financial loop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I went on maternity leave my bonus was pro-rated so I only got a percentage of it according to the months I had worked. Ouch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We should get shares at Baby City!
    I hear you - I am too scared to do the Sep spend allocation and see if there are any trends developing so we can budget for baby expenses...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah yeah money blah blah :) You wouldn't trade putting on those "big girls knickers" for a moment!! :) Seriously - great that the night nanny is working out a treat AND boy have you made some beautiful babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:04 pm

    IVF babies born from embryos that are frozen and thawed are less likely to be underweight or premature than those conceived during fresh treatment cycles, research has shown.
    http://bit.ly/OGquG

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails