Tuesday, November 17, 2009

So, the 4-month check-up



They were 4 months on Sat 7th and we had our check-up the day before. I'm funny like that; I like the dates very close together.

Imagine how happy I'll be at their next appointment in January when I can make their 6-month appointment on the actual day!

It's the small things in life, isn't it? :)

Anyway, my paed has a little girl (16 months) and we were told at the appt she's 17 weeks pregnant with number 2 (also a girl). Incidentally, the babies were 17 weeks that week too so it's a nice way for me to keep track of her pregnancy.

So she works from 10am to 1pm - don't you love that? - and we always take the first appointment of the day. I just don't see the point of waiting with twins.... when one of them screams!

With all due respect to Kendra, she's stopped the excessive screaming. Looks like the paed was right - she grew out of it. She still has a Very Healthy pair of lungs but these days they're used for a real reason like hunger or tiredness.

Moving along.

D comes with me because he LOVES these appointments. It's actually quite funny - days before he starts adding questions to my list in anticipation of the appointment.

It also helps that we really really really love our paed.

Starting with Connor



He weighed 6,2 kg and is 63 cm tall - a very big boy. If we adjust his age, he's on 73rd percentile for weight and 93rd for height. But if we consider him an actual 4-month-old baby, then he's on the 50-something percentiles for height and weight. (I stopped listening to the details when I heard how well he's doing because I was just BEAMING - it's like I'm doing the growing :))

We didn't have lots of questions about Connor - only the usual suspects - yip, eating and sleeping.

She told us (as you all did) that the babies are doing JUST FINE and that it is rare for babies to sleep through at 4 months, especially since these are actually 2 months. She feels it's good that they're sleeping longer stretches (K 6 hours and then 3 - 4 hours and C 5 hours and 4 hours) at night. And to just relax about it as much as you can relax when you just want to sleep.........

Also he will eat when he's hungry - looking at him he's clearly not starving :)

One thing I liked is she said babies can eat from 120 - 150 ml per kilogram of body weight, so not to stress if the boy doesn't have his full 900 ml a day.

He was also constipated so we discussed some solutions but in the deep recesses of my mind, I'd remembered a sugar water trick she mentioned AGES ago and just that morning I gave him 25 ml and lo and behold, when we got back home we were rewarded with a poo! Well done!

But the best news of all - he was pronounced ready for cereal, one tablespoon every night! She warned me that he will drink even less milk.


Now onto Kendra.



Kendra weighed 4,2 kg and is 57 cm tall. If we consider her an actual 4-month-old baby, then she's on the 3rd percentile for weight.

Which we know since she is tiny and light as a feather. I call her my little baby doll.

The paed is not at all concerned about her because she's not vomiting, no diarrhoea, is eating nicely now and is perfect in every other way. I'm small, D's tall and thin and in fact, Kendra is just like him. She said K probably has a really high metabolism because I took The Notebook with us to prove how much she's been eating.

Funny thing is on the Monday before the appt it's like Kendra suddenly realised that we have a Doctor's Appt on Friday so she started chowing down in earnest :) Over 600ml for many days since then and she's even done some 700 ml days (she's supposed to have 630ml).

We also spoke to her because K fell off the couch - oh, didn't I mention that? :) - and we didn't take her in to get checked. We monitored her really close for the next 24 hours but she was exactly the same as she usually is so I didn't feel the need. She cried but then calmed down when I held her, the same as when she wakes up to be fed, etc, etc.

I said that I didn't want to be one of those mothers who is at the doctor's rooms every day for the silliest things. She said that was fine because the couch was low and she fell on blankets, etc.

Right! Time is up as this is my 30-minute post for the blog challenge.

10 comments:

  1. You have cute kiddos! Glad everything seems to be going well!

    (I found your blog from Steady Mom's challenge for today!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, Mummy! You're obviously doing something very very right with those little ones.

    Melody and Jess have always had their annual checkups on their birthday. The pediatrician has a huge stash of birthday presents, and every child gets a present on their birthday/annual checkup. We still use the "Boo Boo Bunnies", or rabbit-shaped thingamibobs made of facecloths that are perfect for icing bruises. We got them two and half years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The size difference between K and C is striking when they are next to each other! I think Connor is close to the same size as Josiah, if my metric conversion is correct. He's 6.1 kg and 63.5 cm (at 2.5 months old).

    I'm glad both are still thriving and growing so healthily.

    By the way, I have a gift for your two babies that I've been working on since April. I'm hoping to get it to you by Christmas... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're doing sooooo well!!! I'm glad to hear for your sake that K is learning how to use her voice for other purposes :) Love the pics - can't wait to see what you come up with for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such sweet little ones. I loved the way you photographed them with the sign. I'll have to remember to do that for Grandmom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, thanks! I saw that on a number of blogs and thought it was a good idea. I’ve since bought foam numbers so for future months they’ll be holding a foam number.

    Saffy, probably just a red blanket :) I am not very creative with things like that!

    mandy, Josiah is TALL! Like his dad :)

    Sadia, I love the idea of the birthday gift stash. Makes the idea of the doctor a treat, not a chore :)

    Thanks Kim - they are getting very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hay You!!! and your beautiful babes - they are so very cute and THRIVING!!! What a good mother you are to them!!! And how brilliant to have the date on your photos... I have heaps of weekly photos for all our kids but who knows which week is which!!! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are just so precious! Sounds like they are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, goodness... I LOVE K's expression in her "single" picture! Glad the feedings are adequate. I know what you mean about not wanting to freak out about little things, but sometimes it's like we have NO IDEA considering these are our first little ones! :)

    I like the foam number idea... I may steal that from ya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are blessed to own them...they are very sweet.Just take care of their medical needs and lead a very healthy and simple lifestyle...that helps.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails