Monday, July 19, 2010

Last week - crazy and wonderful, all at the same time



I honestly had a BALL last week.

Speaking is what I was created to do. I truly believe that.

And to think the teachers at school used to write in my reports, "Marcia is SUCH a good worker BUT... she talks too much".

LOL

I felt so rushed getting ready for this - rushing to get (new) suits altered, rushing to get my hair done, rushing to sound checks, etc.

But it was worth it.

The Jhb talk was the biggest and toughest (Joburg people are a tough crowd to please) but it was fabulous.

The organisers loved that I stayed on time and didn't mess up their schedule of events :)

I knew when I cracked that one that the others would be a breeze.

Then the next morning a major miracle happened - I managed to get showered, dressed and out the door in time to be at the airport at 6:50!!!

Amazing. Remember I usually sleep til 7:20.

They'd arranged valet parking for me and people, once you get used to this, it is heaven.

Especially at OR Tambo airport.

Especially for impatient people like me who can't be bothered to look for parking.

I phoned them on the way (set the phone ready on the passenger seat so all I had to do was press one button) to make sure someone was ready for me but that wasn't necessary.

All I had to do was drive up to domestic departures and a guy ran up to me, I signed something, handed over my car keys and walked into the building to check in.

Easy-peasy.

When I got back, I called them once we landed (because the flight was early, again if your flight's on time, they will be there waiting with your CLEAN car - my car's never been that "loved" before) and soon after I stepped out the door, another guy came driving up.

Another bonus - it is bitterly cold in Jhb (Cat, I think I read on your blog that it's the coldest winter in how long???) so when my car got to me, it was warmed up (engine and inside) and I got my keys, jumped in and was on my way home.

Heaven!

I will always use this service from now onwards - talk about saving time!

Anyway, back to the talks.

Cape Town was FABULOUS. The driver forgot to collect me at the airport (some mix-up) but I forgot how friendly the Capetonians are and happily spent the time chatting to some locals and tourists.

The talk itself was great - I was even more on form than Jhb and the crowd was responsive and gave me great feedback, asked lots of questions afterward, etc.

Only thing - a very long day as I only got home at 8:30 pm but on the bright side, I used all that airport time to do TONS of work.

Thursday I was back at work where I was on such a speaking high I was all abuzz in our team meeting (my boss even said something!) and then I had my dreaded performance appraisal.

That was fine - I'm doing very well blah blah blah corporate speak... I expect a very good bonus as a result and will be FREAKED OUT if it doesn't happen.

And then Friday I flew to Durban. They hired a car for me this time - didn't want the same thing to happen (drivers getting mixed up) - and amazingly I didn't get lost!

The weather was SO WARM compared to up here and yet everyone down there was complaining bitterly about how cold it was. They would not survive one week up here :)

Again, GREAT talk and great people. Had lovely chats with the regional sales manager and others. It's amazing how people's perception change once they realise YOU are the speaker :) Suddenly you're The Expert. Too funny because I'm still me, still down to earth.

Dbn airport had no internet reception so I got almost no work done. I did, however, manage to buy my diary for the next 18 months (July - Dec 2011), a Moleskine.

And then.... a man from the plane hit on me! I couldn't believe it! D laughed when I told him the story because I've always been the same (I also turned him down at first). I simply said, no thanks, I'm not interested. All I want to do is get home to my family!

It was lovely to get home at a decent hour (just after 6:30 - babies already in bed though!) and spend some time with D.

The only bad thing about the whole week was this - if only I were thinner I'd have looked better in the pics. Quite honestly this was a chance to get some great professional pics for the website and ... I'm 5 kg overweight.

But really, as Mandy E said many posts ago, if that's all I have to complain about, then I'm a blessed woman!

I really am blessed - I got to share my message and my God-given gifts with 240 women and about 10 men this week and I feel so, so privileged!

P.S. The really fantastic thing, business-wise, is that this company is SO big and a real corporate GIANT that it is instant credibility. I can't wait to update my website.

P.P.S. I had to move out my half day coaching intensive with the business coach so it's now happening on my birthday. Although through all of this I already have gained such a lot of clarity that I just feel lighter. Will write more about my decisions in a couple of weeks.

6 comments:

  1. What a great week - you still sound like you are on a TOTAL HIGH!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had such a wonderful talk! I can feel the energy in your post. :)

    And as a point of comparison, I just read that this June is the warmest on record here. It's sweltering, even for an 8:00 walk with the babes. Maybe we can meet in the middle somewhere with the weather? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad all went so well. And sure you will enjoy the moleskine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the valet parking set up makes you sound like a celebrity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Well done on a successful week!
    x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Marcia! Would have loved to have been a "fly on the wall" at one of your talks! I'm sure you are on a complete high after doing what it is that you were born to do, and making such a success of it. Love Caren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, sounds like someone's ready for some vlogs? :)

    Yay for a fantastic week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails