Thursday, September 09, 2010

The lost art of conversation

I read a blog post the other day that reminded me of one of my pet peeves.

Basically she was saying she went to a wedding and met two different people, both of which spoke with her for 30 minutes each, answered all her questions but didn't bother to ask her even one question about her own life.

I so get her frustration.

D and I often say that conversation is a lost art these days.

People don't seem to know how to engage back and forth and take an interest in the other person.

This really is one of my pet peeves.

The Zulu people have it right, not that I know Zulu but I studied very basic greetings and a few sentences a few years ago.

One person greets, the other replies, the first one adds something else, the other replies, and then they get on with the conversation. But the first four bits have a rhythm to it that starts off a lovely conversation.

I don't know if I'm getting more attuned to it, being a pet peeve, or that it really is getting worse.

Maybe it's the social media space where everyone just broadcasts their tweets or status updates whether anyone's listening or not? :)

I don't know.

So in the interest of conversation, tell me, have you also found this to be true?

What are some of your pet peeves?
(Another one of mine is incorrect use of the apostrophe!)

6 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean! I hate when there is no good flow...awkward conversation is not my thing.

    My biggest pet peeves are misuse of apostrophes, commas, and the 'text language' (u, 4, r, etc.). I have had COLLEGE students use those abbreviations on test questions. It's ridiculous. I am also bothered by people who stereotype, especially when it is obvious they don't know what they are talking about.

    Guess I have a lot of pet peeves. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, yet I'm not too bothered by lack of conversation. I like to keep to myself and get so tired verbally explaining the children's last year of life.

    This leads to pet peeves...messes, language, and nosey people! I'm not sure if I dislike messy people, or people who are too lazy to clean their mess. I don't mind disclosing information to people, but I often feel that people go too far or are just bothersome! Tonight we ate out and the entire section was buzzing when we walked in. OH LOOK, TWINS! Then the table next to us, who happened to be identical twin brothers taking their wives out, talked to use throughout our entire meal! As for language, I absolutely HATE when people can not properly speak! Poor grammar, enunciation, slang, usage, or just a general slaughter of the language really bothers me. Here you're guaranteed a free public education, at least sound like you paid attention!

    Am I really this mean and critical? Goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incorrect use of the apostrophe - not that I am claiming to be any sort of English major (I probably get some grammar wrong a ot too...) - but people seem to get even the simplest usage of this wrong ALL the time!

    And Deanna - text language - what is up with that?! I don't even use it when sending a text....

    And I thought maybe it was just me, that maybe I am just not that interesting or something... So it does seem that conversation is a dying "art".

    And my pet peeve to add - pick up your frickin' feet when you walk!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, and since when have "too" and "to" become interchangable?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahahah Pet peeves... I've posted several times about those..

    As for conversations, I think being a SAHM I often forget how to act around adults LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the conversation here in the comments - keep it coming :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails