Thursday, September 02, 2010

So, about the job offer

I declined.

It was a combination of 3 things actually:

1. A work friend and I had lunch a few weeks ago and she said something that stood out to me - her career could be growing faster elsewhere but this is the right environment for her now while her kids are small.

2. Another friend and I had an email conversation just last week and I said something like "I would take up to a R2000 salary cut for better work hours".

3. My email response to Natalie's comment on the job offer post. I don't know what it was but writing that email clarified things for me and I was 95% clear after that.

The next day I saw the dummy payslip and that sealed the deal.

That and the fact that I stopped thinking so much and followed my intuition.

It's served me quite well in the past so I don't quite know why I was overthinking things. Fear maybe?

I made a meeting with the guy yesterday and told him I'd be declining and why.

My main reasons? work hours and flexibility, followed by visibility/ profile in the company and then salary.

The telling thing is on Monday after I emailed Natalie I slept like a baby and have done so ever since, which is just fantastic.

The best thing about all of this is that I have increased clarity about what's most important to me right now, at this stage in my life, and that is freedom.

I spoke about freedom in the last post too but I want to write a post soon about values.

What a relief!

What's going on in your lives? Share any little tidbit with me, like what you had for breakfast or lunch, or what you're wearing :)

P.S. I had a toasted bacon and avo on wholewheat bread and I'm wearing black pants and a black and white shirt :)

8 comments:

  1. Just finished giving BB her breakfast, baking blueberry muffins, still in my pajamas! It's a cloudy day (just like you like) but is very very hot outside. Days like this should be cold! I think you made the right choice! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're comfortable, that is what is most important! Shorts and a bright blue shirt here, and breakfast was....5 hours ago and I didn't eat. Bad mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great choice for you...seriously.

    What am I wearing? Pink t-shirt, black short, and a huge knee brace!!!! No make up and glasses...such a hottie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's 2:45 in the afternoon and I'm still in a nightgown :) I'm not going anywhere, no need to dirty clothes LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're at peace with your decision...I know that's gotta feel so good. :)

    And a tidbit for you...American college football season starts this weekend, and I can't wait!!! We won't get to watch too much this season because of the girls, but I just love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you ahve made your decision and are sleeping well again :)

    I just finished a toasted cheese sandwich (not very original I know) for breakfast. Waiting for the tea lady to make her first round (I know, we are spoilt). And looking forward to a weekend and spending time with my little and big boy..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you - doesn't it help to have a chance to talk it out to get to the right decision? Imagine doing that all in your own head- I think you'd go nuts :-)

    I'm wearing my favourite little black summer dress with purple bolero (whatever you call those shrug like jerseys) and my stomach is huge for 4 months. Slops and pink dressing gown over that to protect me from David mess until I leave the house! I still haven't brushed my hair or done anything about my face. I gave nanny Mary the run down on what games to play with David and that took an hour. This am I was good, I had a PROPER breakfast, porridge, toast and poached egg.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you, for right now, my priority is enjoying time with Ava and no climbing the corporate ladder, I've turned down the same promotion twice in the last 2 years, first time was so focus on having a baby, second time was to focus on enjoying the baby I have.
    For now my priority is family, there will be plenty of time when Ava is older to restart the corporate climb.
    And a tidbit about me for today... I'm wearing my favorite Hello Kitty T-shirt which my husband says makes me look like a 4 year old but I don't care!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails