Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mother-in-law drama and family "help"

My mother-in-law is one of those people who discovers something and then goes after the fad 100%.

Like if she decides cider vinegar is the new elixir, well, that's it. We will hear about it forever and a day.

So she is on a mission to have me not use table salt for the babies.

She came over once when I was cooking rice/ pasta (something like that) and told me that sea salt is best, not table salt.

At the time, I said something like "I really don't care" (not as rude) but basically that.

The reason being... I really don't care. I have FAR BIGGER things in life to worry about. And secondly, I hardly use salt. I have low blood pressure because of my salt aversion, for goodness sake. And of course, the babies don't know any difference so still hardly get any salt and definitely no sugar in their food.

So last week she sent me and D a "helpful article" about the table salt again, and also the article said that plastic containers should not be microwaved.

Again, I don't really care. What's 30 seconds here and there?

(also the point is not the content of her email, it's about the interfering which I'll get to in my roundabout way soon-ish)

I asked D how he wanted to deal with it; he said to ignore it. I like to tackle things head-on so I told him I'd reply.

And I did. I told her that we prefer not to live in fear and also (again!) that we hardly use salt so it is not an issue.

I didn't hear a thing back.

But I know she's upset because I feel the tension.

Granted, I'm a little to blame as D said my email was cold and "could you not have put a Love, Marcia or something?" I said, "no, I want the tone to be firm and cold."

Reason being, she is the type if you're not VERY firm, it's an invitation to engage on the topic again and again, and I'm not going there.

I am their mother and I make the food rules. D knows I'm doing the best I can for the kids so he's happy to go along. We have a policy where the one who feels strongly about an issue gets their way if the other one is indifferent.

Anyway, so Friday.

On Friday last week we had a public holiday in South Africa.

I (now) love having an extra day on the weekend because it allows us extra social time :)

I said "now" because when the babies were little, I'd dread the weekends simply because we'd have no help and we'd both be dog-tired by Sunday night.

It has not been that bad the last 4 months or so. We're actually enjoying our time together - who would have thought?! :)

Anyway, back to the public holiday.

I prefer to pre-empt social plans as I then have a measure of control so I suggested to D that we get together with family so that we'd be done til Christmas.

Yes, I'm bad.

D phoned his sister who's always game for socials and we invited ourselves over since his mother was going to be there too. Something about killing two birds with one stone.

I decided to take the kids' lunch, snack and supper with us as well as their bath things and pajamas so that we could feed them, bath them and then put them in the car to fall asleep while driving back from Pretoria, about an hour away from our house.

A couple of things happened to make us realise we really can't depend on anyone else to help with the babies.

D's sister told him on the phone that we can just relax and chill and she and his mom would watch the kids.

Well, his mom watched the kids for 15 minutes while we quickly ate our lunch.

The rest of the time we were "on". Yes, there was some playing with the babies but certainly not that either of us could really "relax".

My expectations were not high so I wasn't disappointed but D was ... he is also highly protective and kept thinking the dogs would attack because they were barking in Connor's face. He was crawling around FAST like a little boy on steroids :) D's point was ...it didn't look like anyone cared about the dogs possibly biting our boy.

I said, "of course no one cares like we do - they're OUR kids"

Anyway, last MIL story.

She has it in her head that Connor loves strawberries so she brings out this bowl with strawberries LIBERALLY covered with sugar.

"Here, Connor"

I said, "he can only have strawberries if the sugar is rinsed off" so D went to rinse off the sugar.

Connor is, in fact, not a lover of strawberries and duly spat them out (I am quite proud that I kept a straight face).

She then tries to keep feeding him these darn strawberries so eventually I said, "no, he can't have anything to eat now. Snack time is over"

Those of you who were reading when the babies were real, tiny babies will remember how Kendra used to graze - 25 ml here, 30 ml there.

Since that's fixed, I am STRICT. No more grazing. We eat 5 times a day and that's it. Not on the hour!

So she said nothing but gee, it's exhausting.

I mentioned the salt and microwave thing to a lady at work who very rightly said, "she means well". That is true and I'm aware of it.

But where does the interfering stop?

She is actually not a bad person, she's a good granny; it's just these one or two things that keep cropping up.

What's your relationship like with your MIL? If you've had issues, tell me what worked for you?

P.S. Did my 45 mins last night at gym. So far so good... But abs very sore from those 140 crunches on Monday night.

7 comments:

  1. I am surprised that someone who has found out that salt is bad has not realised that having too much sugar (or fruit, i.e. sugar, drenched in more sugar....). You could have mentioned the article you read about giving the kids too much sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE my mil. Honestly! She is the best! I should mention that she is also 70, nearly wheel chair bound, and thinks that I am amazing for putting up with her son and whipping her 80 year old husband into shape while caring for 2 beautiful girls!

    I think the age gap really helps. She is aware that the last time she had a baby was 35 years ago and that times change so she is always trying to learn and keep up. She reads tons of books and articles, and asks me lots of questions! Whenever I go to her she is so helpful and kind, never throwing stuff in my face. I was worrying over the girls not walking and she told me I was doing fine and that they get it from their father-"he was a lazy boy didn't walk till 18 months, I see not much has changed!"

    I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful MIL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE my mil. Honestly! She is the best! I should mention that she is also 70, nearly wheel chair bound, and thinks that I am amazing for putting up with her son and whipping her 80 year old husband into shape while caring for 2 beautiful girls!

    I think the age gap really helps. She is aware that the last time she had a baby was 35 years ago and that times change so she is always trying to learn and keep up. She reads tons of books and articles, and asks me lots of questions! Whenever I go to her she is so helpful and kind, never throwing stuff in my face. I was worrying over the girls not walking and she told me I was doing fine and that they get it from their father-"he was a lazy boy didn't walk till 18 months, I see not much has changed!"

    I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful MIL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My MIL is perfect. Perfect, perfect, perfect. With all the drama going on here yesterday, I called first Lucas, then her. It didn't occur to me to contact my own mum until a couple of hours later.

    My mother? We make sure we don't live on the same continent as her, and I avoid reading her (rare) e-mails unless I have my husband nearby or my mother-in-law on the phone to keep me from losing my shizz.

    When my mother does bother to give advice or tell me what I was like as a baby, I just smile and nod. You'd think she'd never seen another baby (including my sister) in her life! She says ridiculous things like, "You used to poop in nappies too!" or "You crawled before you walked too!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, my MIL is actually cool - sometimes she would slip something in (the strawberry story made me laugh - she did exactly the same), but in general she does not.

    My mom is another story. She was so upset years ago that the princess went to an English school and guess who is now a huge supporter of said Catholic English school?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I have lots of problems with my MIL. But that's a whole long story on it's own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the BEST MIL. I would have gone nuts loosing my mom if it hadn't been for her.

    She tries not to rock my boat. I try not to rock hers. She had 3 boys - and I think all 3 of us feel about the same about her.

    Now my FIL, he's super, but tonight every time I turned around he was giving the kids sweets. I just ignored it. It's not very often we spend all day with them anymore.

    Joel asked for ice cream after they went fishing, then I nixed M having a sandwich, so he gave them cookies. Then trick or treaters were roaming, so he handed Halloween candy around.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails