Saturday, December 18, 2010

Reverb - week 1

I stumbled upon this reverb thing on 2nd Dec, fully intending to start blogging but life got in the way.

Then I happened upon one of my favourite blogs, Ordinary Courage, and she did reverb one week at a time, which sounded brilliant to me and much more doable.

Except... I still haven't done it so here goes. I'm also considering it prep for my 2011 goal-sitting session.

From Gwen Bell: Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you're choosing that word. Now, imagine it's one year from today, what would you like the world to be that captures 2011?

I keep trying to think of a different word but if I'm to be 100% authentic, I feel disappointed. Disappointed in my work, disappointed with my business (despite the few flurries of goodness), disappointed with my weight and disappointed with some relationships in my life.

I think the word I'd like to capture next year would be courage or brave (what's the difference?). I have done quite a bit of stepping out and taking risks this year (applying for lots of jobs, having fearless conversations with people, being vulnerable here on the blog, putting in an offer on that house despite my serious aversion to debt) but I'd really like to step into my bravery more next year.

BTW, did you know that my name means brave and fearless?


From Leo Babauta: What do you do each day that doesn't contribute to your writing - and can you eliminate it?

Well, difficult question this. I have honoured my writing this year. I'm really proud of this blog and how often I post. And even if no-one says anything, I know my writing has improved and so has my sanity!

That said, surfing the internet is hands down my biggest time waster.

From Ali Edwards: Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors).

This one is easy for me.

I always feel the most alive ever when I speak in front of large groups of people.

This year's "most alive" moment was when I did the talk for Big Corporate in Cape Town. The crowd was receptive and gave me great feedback both while I was talking and afterwards, I was in form, and it was just an all-round great experience.

I'm leaving it at that as I blogged it in detail in July.

From Jeffery Davis: How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year?

I cultivate a sense of wonder by always looking for the good around me. It sounds Pollyanna-ish but I really do try to see the beauty in everything.

It also helps to have two cute toddlers who are living, breathing, amazing miracles straight from God.

From Alice Bradley: What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why?

Mmmm, long-time readers will know that letting go is very hard for me.

Very, very hard.

The biggest thing I let go of this year was the need to parent like other people. I honestly feel like I really settled into this mothering gig this year once I stopped comparing myself.

And how did that happen?

When I read that Motherstyles book.

Honestly, if you still haven't taken the quiz (find the link to my series of posts on the sidebar), do it - it will set you free.

I now realise exactly what my parenting strengths and struggles are and I'm okay with them.

If you read my 36 things list, you'll know that I am also working on letting go of my (sometimes high) expectations of others. It's a work in progress but I'm getting better at just accepting friendships for what they are and not trying to make them be what I want. Does that make sense?

From Gretchen Rubin: What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

I made little gifts for some blog friends. I won't say what, just in case they're reading :)

From Caligator: Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?

Big question.

One of my values is connection and therefore community is very important to me.

The biggest community I have is all of you who read this blog. Especially those of you who take time out of your busy days to comment here and leave me snippets of yourself. Thank you - I truly, truly appreciate it.

The blogging community is also the one I'd like to connect with more deeply in 2011 but also the community of real life friends I have.

Now, over to you.

I would love, love, LOVE to read your answers to these questions on your blog.

Anybody up for the challenge?

Otherwise, I'd love to hear your comments on my answers :)

3 comments:

  1. I love this post, Marcia! Great questions. I was reading a blog post this week, where the author described herself in five words, and then gave explanations of why she chose those words.

    I think I'll wait until the week after Christmas, when I can set aside some time to think. I think it's important to sit down and reflect...about who I am, who I want to be, and what I want to do, even in just the year ahead.

    It's so easy to run, run, run...and lose sight of lots of things.

    Thanks for the thought-provoking prompts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, this is really interesting - I really like this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Mandy [cause I'm a Mandy, and Mandy's stick together!] and will wait till after the holidays. I want to sit down and reflect as I answer. I'll also have more questions to focus on then.

    I am really excited. I just started. I hope I remember to finish up!

    And I hope you are nice and relaxed! If I'm doing the math right you should be waking up for your early Christmas with your family today!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails