Sunday, January 02, 2011

Weekly menu and a recipe - potato lentil curry

So I've decided to post my weekly menu.

It's all part of planning our meals as I'm going to start weighing my food again to work on my portion control. It's not about eating the wrong things with me; it's how much I love the carbs.

Oy!

I only do Mon - Fri since on weekends we finish up any bits and pieces and generally go light.

Since I often get this question, let me answer it here too.

Doing a menu plan does not hamper my spontaneity - I like being prepared and I switch the meals around (within the week) about 80% of the time because sometimes I've planned a salad-y meal and it's freezing, etc. And I'm not one of those people who can enjoy a salad on a cold night.

Monday
Chicken a la King, rice and carrots

Tuesday
Pasta with beef, tomato and spinach sauce; salad

Wednesday
Potato lentil curry, pumpkin and rice (my meat-free meal of the week)

Thursday
Spaghetti bolognaise and salad

Friday
Burgers and salad

And if you're interested, tomorrow for lunch I will have 1.5 slices/60g wholewheat bread, 100 g chunky low-fat cottage cheese with cucumber slices on top and, of course, salt and lots of pepper.


Right, onto the recipe.

Potato lentil curry
(no pics because it's not the prettiest meal in the world)

I found this recipe on a blog somewhere but alas, I don't have the link. I was lazy so I wrote it down instead of printing... I do remember the woman said her husband normally didn't like lentils and even he liked this. So if you know who that is (I googled and checked the first page and then again, got lazy), let me know and I'll add the link.

Found it! This is the link I saw

1 cup lentils
1 can coconut milk
1 Tsp curry powder (after experimenting I'd say the medium one works the best)
water
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
salt and pepper to taste

  • Throw lentils into pot.
  • Add 3.5 cups of liquid (coconut milk and water) - I like to be precise so for me that's 875 ml which means my 400 ml can coconut milk. I then use the same can and fill it with water and then another little bit.
  • Add curry powder, cover and cook for about 20 minutes (a nice rolling bubble).
  • Stay in the kitchen... the smell is DIVINE! Mmmmm.
  • Stir, then add the potatoes, salt and pepper (for me it's about a level teaspoon salt - I don't like too salty), stir and cook uncovered for another 20 minutes.
  • Stir frequently otherwise your potatoes might stick.
  • At this point I taste, either add some more pepper or maybe cook another 10 minutes or so.

That's it.

Easy and very, very tasty.

According to the recipe, you should be able to eat it just like that with a dollop of plain yoghurt on top (YUM!) but I serve it over rice (as mine had quite a bit of liquid) with some veggies on the side.

(Like the blogger's husband, D is also not a huge fan of lentils but he loves this meal. Connor also eats it but Kendra hates it :)).

And just like that, the weekend's gone.

What are you eating this week? Do you eat lentils?

5 comments:

  1. While I like lentils, I don't think anyone else in this house would go near them...they don't know what they're missing.

    You'd be so proud of the monthly meal plan I created tonight. I am completely in love with myself!

    Here you go for this week:

    Monday - Chicken parm (Husband will cook)
    Tuesday - Asian Beef stew (crock pot)
    Wednesday - leftovers
    Thursday - Sushi with my Dad
    Friday - chicken pasta with white sauce!

    I am feeling so much less stressed just b/c I know what's happening for meals. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Rebecca - I love that you say you're in love with yourself :)

    Love that you're less stressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi M... I'm back!
    Well (after seeing how organised you were) I decided to come up with a new way of doing meals. I'm so tired of my usual meals. So I first decided what type of dish for each night - then I choose a recipe book. (ie, for Pasta's and curry night I'm using Jamie Oliver's 30min meals, for Chicken a different "Fast Chicken dishes". I'll make it even less stressful by starting at the beginning of the book and working through it, so I don't even have the dilemma of which recipe in the book to choose. I love cooking, so it will force me to try some new things I wouldn't normally. Already the ingred list is a bit diff to what I normally trot out. Let's see if I can keep up the enthusiasm though - I feel a bit like Julia in that movie 'Julie and Julia' of Julia Child cooking fame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recipe. I think I have everything to make this at home right now!!! I'll have to make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM YUM YUM! The lentil curry is delicious! Nice idea Nats, keep us posted! xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails