Friday, January 14, 2011

Journalling my final reverb prompts


Edited to add:

Hey, it's National Delurking Day and I'd love to hear from you if you never comment.

Your comment seriously makes my day - I love it!

Tell me something about yourself, like what's your favourite movie/ love song/ blog/ book, or if you could live in another country for a year or two, where would you go and why? (money is no option - let's dream big!)

***********************************

Confession - when I said on my last reverb post that this would probably take me til mid-Jan, I secretly thought, "aaah, I'm sure I will finish it sooner" and yet, here I am, at my self-imposed deadline.

Shame, I know nobody's interested in these posts but it's very therapeutic for me.

December 22 – Travel How did you travel in 2010? How and/or where would you like to travel next year? (Author: Tara Hunt)

Only 315 km to Clarens and 1100 km to PE.

I would like to do 4 trips total next year - a short overnight or weekend away with D (that's going to be our prep to leave the babies for a longer trip), a nice holiday with the babies for about 4 days, and then our overseas trip somewhere in Europe (where we don't need visas!) and then a nice long family holiday, maybe on the KZN north coast in Dec.

BTW, I'm not one to practise doing things. E.g. D likes to start getting up a little earlier as our leave ends. I sleep late right until work starts and just force myself to adapt on the day. Different styles.

What's your preferred option?


Lots of travel, just like I like it.

Although I also have a Mondo goal of paying off the house this year....scares me to even say it.

December 23 – New Name Let’s meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why? (Author: Becca Wilcott)

I love the names Saskia and Maxine. They just sound sassy and full of strop. It would be fun to get into another character for a day. Almost like reinventing yourself, but just for a little bit.

BTW, all the answers to this prompt, everybody said, "oh, I love my name" and to that I say.... HOGWASH :)

December 24 Prompt – Everything’s OK What was the best moment that could serve as proof that everything is going to be alright? And how will you incorporate that discovery into the year ahead? (Author: Kate Inglis)
This happens such a lot with me but I need to learn to trust more. And let go.

Whenever I'm stressing about something, there's a really gentle reminder from God that things are always going to be okay. Always.

In the infertility years I seriously stressed about how we were going to pay for an IVF. (If you have nothing better to do, read the blog archives) And yet, when the time came, I changed my questions and God showed me lots of ways to have the money.

That's a money example - maybe it's for someone.

But it happens also with things that weigh heavy on my heart, like friendships. I just feel like "nobody loves me" and out of the blue, I'll get a lovely email or text that I need at that very moment, a gentle reminder that things are going to be okay.

Or with the business, when I think, "dear Lord, am I ever going to make decent money at this?", and a couple of orders will pop into my inbox or there'll be a request for coaching. I don't get very many enquiries which is how I've set it up but I do convert about 90% of those who email me.

So, incorporating that into this year? I need to stop when I start to get negative and just relax and trust, knowing that, as they always do, things will be fine.

December 25 – Photo – a present to yourself Sift through all the photos of you from the past year. Choose one that best captures you; either who you are, or who you strive to be. Find the shot of you that is worth a thousand words. Share the image, who shot it, where, etc.

while not the best pics in the world, I love these two taken by D because we were playing around and having fun and not many people get to see the playful side


and this is the one from the photo shoot that now graces all my business cards and website...

I love that I wore purple. It is my colour, or so I've been told. I feel confident, calm and centred in this pic. Hopefully it inspires confidence in other people that I know what I'm talking about.

She did a great job and the minute I lose the weight I want to, I'm booking another mini shoot for full-length pics in suits for my speaking pages, and I also want some pics of me in a tight black, long-sleeved t-shirt, sitting against something :)

December 26 – Soul Food What did you eat this year that you will never forget? What went into your mouth & touched your soul? (Author: Elise Marie Collins)

Mmmm, tamarind chicken. Yummy - made by my brother and then I ordered it at a Thai restaurant because I liked it so much. That one was also good but not as good as my brother's. My mouth is watering at the thought of the salty-sweetness :)

I asked D and he said my potato lentil curry - I love this man!

December 27 – Ordinary Joy Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year? (Author: BrenĂ© Brown)

This kind of thing. Getting on the floor with the babies, chasing them around, hearing giggles and belly laughs and then also, the quiet talking to them. I love it - they are little PEOPLE.



December 28 – Achieve What’s the thing you most want to achieve next year? How do you imagine you’ll feel when you get it? Free? Happy? Complete? Blissful? Write that feeling down. Then, brainstorm 10 things you can do, or 10 new thoughts you can think, in order to experience that feeling today. (Author: Tara [...]

The one thing I most want to achieve is to feel excited and raring to go like I used to. I feel kind of blah but I'm hoping it's just a phase so I'm doing my normal bit which is to persevere and read things that inspire me (like your blog, Julia) and take care of myself.

I have an inkling that it's because I'm holding back a bit to protect myself.

And then, on the list - to write a book. Now that I've put it out there a couple of times, I'm starting to get scared. Why? I have no idea - I have no problems writing and have 25 e-books out but I think it's the thought of an actual print book that people can critique. Eeek. Or that I will do this thing that means so much to me and nobody will care. I know that not many people care about the subject matter; I mean care that I've done this thing.

My goal this month (a mini-goal of course) is to decide on a topic. That's it. The deciding part of anything is always the most painful for me. Once I get there and have the clarity, I'm all systems go and I know I will churn out the content in no time at all.

I told D 3 weeks - ha! I do like to put pressure on myself but won't it be lovely to just nestle in for 3 - 4 weekends once the weather cools and write for hours on end each day with warm cups of tea. Mmmm. Can't wait.


December 29 – Defining Moment Describe a defining moment or series of events that has affected your life this year. (Author: Kathryn Fitzmaurice)

December 30 – Gift Prompt: Gift. This month, gifts and gift-giving can seem inescapable. What’s the most memorable gift, tangible or emotional, you received this year? (Author: Holly Root)

Little snippets of loveliness from so many of you reading.

Sometimes you leave sweet comments that mean such a lot and I do reply and thank you but I hope you know they mean the world to me even though on my side it may just seem like mere words.

I've seen on two blogs that comments really make their day. I'd venture to say that their love language is words of affirmation, as is one of mine.

And then there are the gifts which are so very precious to me - like when D sees I am tired, cross, stressed and makes me a cup of tea without me saying a word, or just getting a hug, or when Connor (my least affectionate child) comes to me without being prompted and does that thing with the lips that means he wants a kiss, or when Kendra who is Ms Independent, flings herself at me, nestles her head in my neck and gives me a lovely hug, with the sounds too. Mmmm. Lovely.

December 31 – Core Story What central story is at the core of you, and how do you share it with the world? (Bonus: Consider your reflections from this month. Look through them to discover a thread you may not have noticed until today.) (Author: Molly O’Neill)

This is an interesting prompt.

I have always been that girl encouraging and cheerleading others, sharing advice when needed, guiding, lovingly giving a kick in the pants :) and celebrating others' successes.

I used to have an A4 laminated piece of paper above my desk with, "I motivate and inspire people to reach their goals and live their potential". Maybe I need to put that piece of paper back. I'm sure it's somewhere.

Over the years I thought I'd moved away into organising and time management and business coaching.

This year I rebranded slightly and you know what?

I am still that girl. Time management is the way you will reach your goals and live your potential.

There is NOTHING (not even my kids) that thrills me more that to see people living their dreams.

I believe this is my purpose in life and the way that I do that is through speaking and coaching.

I mentioned before that I've signed up for Mondo Beyondo (see button on my left sidebar <---). Today's lesson was so, so beautiful - it left me teary as I'm realising once again the power of dreams and having those dreams fulfilled.

On one level I'm being inspired and on another level I'm so enjoying being in this community of honesty and authenticity.

One of my biggest fears is dying without having fulfilled my purpose. I don't want to settle. And so I will live courageously, encouraging, coaching, inspiring, motivating and hopefully impacting my corner of the world in a positive way.

6 comments:

  1. Just have to say I LOVE the purple shirt picture. It certainly is your color.

    The name thing is funny...when I was little, I always thought my name was different, a little old-fashioned, maybe. There aren't many Deannas around here. I often wished my name was something more mainstream: Katie, Amy, etc.

    REading that question, I tried to think what I would change my name to for a day...but it just feels strange to think about another name now! I guess I've finally settled into being 'Deanna'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found my heart just wasn't in this, so alas I didn't finish. I got about a quarter of the way in and was just writing to answer. :(

    I did love reading yours though and I can't wait for you to come travel to the US! I do hope for you that you can be at peace (soon!) with your weight so that you too can live life to it's fullest(and stop complaining about bad photos-you look amazing!!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Glad you posted about Delurking day too! Let's see... favorite book is tough. I guess the Harry Potter Series since I read them over and over. Favorite movie, I love Rudy and Stardust. And if I could live anywhere for a year (and bring my family with me...gotta dream REALLY big) I would say Switzerland. Everyone I know who goes to Europe seems to come home talking about how wonderful it is. Although the South of France sounds rather nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:14 am

    This is going to be my first comment in a blog. Please forget my bad English.
    I love reading classical british literature (Austin, Bronte, Dickens and so on), my favorite movie is "Jack&Sarah", a love song ...... too many!!!! My husband and I trully believe than our twins should grow up in New Zealand, the best country for a child to learn from life (I must tell you the "money" option keep us in old Europe, not being able to visit NZ again!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have loved reading your reverb prompts and answers! They have been really lovely to follow!

    I get sad when you say that you sometimes feel like no one cares...I do care...a lot.

    You and I have been through a lot together and although I may go 'quiet' for a few days, it is me just being totally overwhelmed by life and everything it is throwing at me!

    I think of you often!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those pics D took!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails