Tuesday, January 01, 2013

My word for 2013


So you know how well CREATE worked for me last year.


I actually really thought and thought and over analysed (well, as much as someone like me can actually do) this word for 2013.

You see, by nature I'm a take charge kind of person.
Aside - I was on Pinterest about two days ago and I did a search on my profile, ESTJ. Do you know what it says? "take charge". My business name also has take charge in it and a book I want to write this year will have those words as part of the title.

And while those things talk to most of my awesomeness, I've been delving a bit into the letting go.

That started in 2010. One thing on my 36 things list was to let go and Claudia commented and said something like "am I the only one who noticed how you have let go and doing all these things all in the same breath?" I laughed.

But it's true.



I'm MUCH better at letting go and yet I still battle. God's been drawing me into a lot more of the letting go which is SO hard for me. Or maybe because it's so hard for me.

I was trying to find a word that was about letting go, surrendering, etc. that started with a c if possible, but nothing felt right.

(The C was just a nice-to-have actually)

Then one day I was driving to work, whizzing up Oxford Road (still within the speed limit), listening and worshipping God.

And one of the lyrics was about trust.

I was enjoying myself and suddenly it hit me.

TRUST!



That's the perfect word for me.

It's about letting go and surrendering, while still taking some of my take charge personality into account.

Right?

It takes some effort and action to TRUST.

So that's my word, people.

Trust.



I was working through Susannah Conway's unravelling 2013 workbook the other day (fellow instagrammers and facebookers saw my pic) and she has a nice way of doing this word of the year thing.

Choose one word but then pick 4 that support it too.

My four supporting little words are brave (similar to courage), surrender, connect and grace.

I didn't overthink it and except for the first two which have been bouncing around in me for a month or so, the other two just came to me when I was doing the exercise on Thursday.

What does this mean to me?

  1. trust that all my networking, intents and desires will result in the perfect job for me, both personality-wise and for my skill set
  2. trust that I will be fearless and brave to keep putting myself out there both with job but generally with people (I feel like I should be slightly scared to be vulnerable with friends because what if I get friend-dumped again?)
  3. trust my intuition more especially because I've been quite bruised in the job-seeking process. Everybody thinks I'm awesome but a lower grade of awesome (!) than what I think I'm destined for. I've seen the evidence that when I just DO my thing, I am still great. Now to remember that.
  4. trust that my family will have a good year starting with me and D connecting better but also with the babies (!) starting pre-school and us falling into a new routine
  5. trust that by doing the basics as I know to do, some of this weight will fall off me, and last but not least,
  6. keep trusting God in both the big and the little things, and with a Love Languages ministry

And the amazing thing is... I was thinking I actually don't want to buy more "word" jewellery and then I cleaned and organised my jewellery (I've organised this place like mad these 12 days) and I found this pendant!

Word absolutely confirmed!
 
Posted by Picasa
I would love to know what you think of my word and what your word is.

Louisa, Julia, Lesley and MandyE - I already know your words unless you've changed them since you told me.

As for the rest, let's hear those words.

If you need a resource to help you unravel 2013, download this one from Susannah Conway. This year, I used this one together with the form I made for my newsletter readers (again, you can subscribe, download the form and then unsubscribe from my list)

13 comments:

  1. I LOVE your word for 2013 and especailly the necklace! You see, finding it was a sign. And you didn't even need to buy any more jewellery for your word. I am not ambitious enough to have a word for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love your word. It is perfect. I have mine- it came to me on Christmas eve after a lot of thought, but will blog it soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your word. And actually, since I decided on mine (or rather since it came to me - it always just pops up out of the blue! I LOVE that) I've been seeing it and hearing it EVERYWHERE. Must tell you that my year STARTED with me putting this word in action. I had my MIL over for lunch today and we had some VERY frank discussions. Lance actually took himself away to go and clean the yard! I think he got scared. But. It was necessary. It went really well. And we both understand one another a lot better. I know that she left here feeling a lot better about what this year would bring for her and for all of us. Thank you for that Susannah worksheet - I LOVED working through it. The four friends of my word (does that sound right?) = ACTION, CREATE, ADVENTURE and COURAGE. Isn't that awesome? I'm going to write up a post just now.
    Last week I told my SIL my word and she was so excited! She offered to make me a piece of jewellery to represent it. I'm too excited! Interestingly enough (now that you mention the four friends of your word) I've been thinking a lot about Grace and what it truly means. I am not sure if I should be embarrassed about this or not (actually I'm not embarrassed about it) but I don't think I fully understand the concept of Grace. Definitely something to explore in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley9:54 pm

    Awesome word!! Love both the necklaces in the photos! Feel excited for you as you 'trust' for 2013. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm tossing up between Compassion and Generosity. They sort of go together.

    http://eaglenestmom.blogspot.com/2012/12/looking-forward-to-2013.html

    http://eaglenestmom.blogspot.com/2012/12/looking-back-at-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love it! I posted mine - Smart!

    BTW, I think I have that nail polish! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:58 am

    perfect! can't wait to see how this reveals itself throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a really big word Marcia, I'm sure you're going to do it justice.

    I've been brewing on mine for ages - definitely not changing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine is MINDFULNESS:
    http://houseofpeanut.blogspot.com/2012/12/one-little-word-2013.html

    With 2 kids now, our stress levels are higher and personal time shorter, so I really need to focus on what's important and stop doing things on autopilot.

    Love that you had a necklace already to match yours :) I need to make one for myself this year - I always make them for friends, and never one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a word - I have never had one. Maybe I should. This year I am determined to be more organised and planned. I started getting it right very late in the year but it made the last 2 months so much easier - maybe it should be organise?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a stunning word for 2013. I absolutely adore your pendant. My word for 2013 is SIMPLIFY with a lot of decluttering and organizing (I am pretty sure you like that one) thrown into it.

    Wishing you and your loved ones much peace and joy for 2013. Thank you for your friendship and your prayers in the past few years.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had five words brewing in my head to live by this year. And after much investigation, I read that all five words are related, so I guess I have my word finally. I hope it works for me!!!!

    Trust is so perfect, because it requires a lot of work, but I know you will totally rock the word and by the time you are done, I probably won't look at this simple five letter word the same ever again :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah ha ha ha ha! I remember that list!

    Don't forget to trust that his ways are higher than our ways, and his thoughts are not our thoughts. Our plans are not always his plans :) I think trust is a great word, but don't forget you a trusting a PERSON, not a process or a machine. He might have other ideasffor you this year!

    I still don't have a word, but that doesn't surprise either if us, does it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails