Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Crafting with kids without pulling out your hair

Connor is my quality time child but I've really seen a big benefit in crafting with both of them.

And when I say "crafting" I mean putting out some stuff, starting them off and then letting them get on with it.

That's roughly my parenting philosophy, by the way.

Two of my friends often ask me how I get to do stuff while the kids are awake and this is how: I involve them.

In the study I have a cutlery container with glue, washi tape (the ends of rolls), scissors, lovely pencil crayons, markers, etc. I also have a folder of things to mess around with and of course, colouring pages/ activity books, etc.

The key is always be ready and have in your mind if you want to do a 15-minute activity (most of mine are in the 20 - 30-minute time span) or longer.

That's it.

We either craft in my study (not messy stuff), in the kitchen (if I need to cook) or in the sun room (if messy - since it's tiled).


very messy but I didn't know before starting so we were in the study...



colouring - this is my left-hander, Connor
making washi tape pegs - yes, I let them loose
Kendra loves to write
she meant "Kendra loves Mummy"
some glitter left over. I told them to use glue stick on colouring pages, and then sprinkle the glitter. I'm a genius... also I wanted to use up the glitter! NO more!!! But I might give your kids some ;)

some finished projects :)
How do you craft with your kids without pulling out your hair?

4 comments:

  1. I actually enjoy crafting with them. It all goes well as long as it's contained and as long as I'm prepared. My kids actually don't enjoy "messy" crafting which absolutely works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outside if possible, or in an empty bath! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:27 pm

    I actually don't mind the mess BUT we've not done stuff like glitter etc yet. We mostly do colouring in (big scribbles) or cutting of papers etc.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually put all my scrappy off cuts in a box and give it to my little ones when they visit. Then we all scrap together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails