Friday, December 20, 2013

So apparently I kick butt... or something to that effect

I went "awwwww" when I read Laura's post and how she'd love to read my answers and Laura, I know you're a bit frus (my word for frustrated) about your lack of comments (so am I! Sadly no one's reading; everyone is enjoying life too much :)), so let me cave and do this thing... as much as I can.

perfect for this post, don't you think?


What are you working on right now? 

At work, I'm still working hard. This afternoon I was still doing presentations so yes... Personally, I'm trying to keep the kids from cutting up paper all OVER my house and they are now officially banned from all the "lovely things" (washi tape and such) in my study. And aside from that, I'm mentally reviewing 2013 and trying to get intentional about  2014.

Where did the idea for the 123 blog come from? 
Read that here


What does your typical day look like? 

Wake up in a fog, roll out of bed, ablutions and such til dressed, grab lunch bag and off I rush to work. Everything is done at night! Work crazy (one step removed since the little white pills - I have only taken one this week because someone is on leave...), rush out of there to home crazy. Kids, cooking, planning for next day, eating, either more work, but definitely writing on this or other blog, projects, coaching, always at least 3 things after supper. On Mondays we watch the Amazing Race, on Fridays we have Seinfeld DVD night (remember my list years ago? yes, have now bought seasons 1 - 4). Read for a bit and then conk out.

How do you bring ideas to life? 

I have to get clear in my head about what I want it to look like and then I just go for it. I am a very occasional procrastinator but honestly, not on the things that matter to me. That pile of filing is 1 cm high after a year....

What’s one trend that really excites you? 

Infinity scarves!

 

What was the worst job you ever had and what did you learn from it? 

hahahaha. Okay seriously, in case there's anyone new reading, this is undoubtedly the worse job I've ever had. Ever! Worse than entry-level jobs 19 years ago.

I've learnt such a lot - that I really need to make sure roles suit not only my skill set, but my personality, VALUES and work style preferences, and to listen to people who say things, even fleetingly, especially when they know me well.

Also, to never ever ever take a risk in a completely new field again unless I can definitely do 70% of the new job comfortably.
 
If you were to start again, what would you do differently? 

I would have had career assessments done properly, and Myers Briggs (obviously) and most certainly chosen a different course of study. That said, I went a roundabout way of getting to where I am and I think I'm a better person for having done the hard slog at the bottom and then worked my way up.

If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be and how would you go about it? 

There are two things - that everybody would truly have an Encounter with God because you're changed forever.

My other thing is that people would know who they are and be okay with that, imperfections and all. As I said to my weird team recently, it's in the weirdness that we connect with other people.

Actually, there's lots I would change. That life would be more fair. That the isms like racism wouldn't exist. That the poorer wouldn't have to be that poor. It kills me to think that what we pay for petrol is someone's entire household income. That kind of thing.

Tell us a secret. 

I'm verrrry good at keeping secrets :) Really, I am. It's kind of contrary to my blabbermouth personality but I'm Fort Knox.

As for me, I'm an open book. What don't you know?!








What are your three favorite online tools or resources and what do you love about them? 


Feedly - my social media of choice is still blogs (yes, I'm severely old school)
Instagram - pretty pics, sharing my weirdness with wild abandon.
Goodreads - the best organising tool for readers. I LOVE it. I check my goodreads whenever I'm about to buy a book just to make sure.
Facebook - connection!
Google/ Pinterest - I now use them interchangeably!


What is the one book that you recommend people should read and why? 

There are many. I will finish my 65th book of the year this weekend!

For this time of year, read My One Word. I'll be reading it again soon.

For those with 4 year olds, "Your 4-year-old, wild and wonderful" (and if your kids are younger or older, get the right book for that year)
Lean in - Sheryl Sandberg - for ANY woman in the workplace or who intends returning one day (MandyE)
Motherstyles... need I say more - this book made me feel normal for being weird...
Live Organised - shameless plug because when your life's organised, you have time for all the fun stuff :)
Any books by Sinead Moriarty, Dorothy Koomson or Michael Connelly. I have loved them all. Go have a look at my goodreads lists....


Three people we should follow on Twitter and why? 

I can't even understand why Twitter exists. Seriously. It's like being at a party with tons of people and everyone's talking at the same time and not truly connecting.
 

When was the last time you laughed out loud? What caused it? 

I laugh at my silly kids a lot. I've said from the beginning that Kendra makes me take life less seriously because she loves making me laugh. So I laugh, she laughs at me, and then I laugh at how she's laughing at me.

Tonight I allowed them 5 minutes each on my ipad. And D and I both had to draw butterflies (Doodle app - great!). So we drew, I took photos, and then I scrolled through the photos but Connor found this hilarious and he started laughing like crazy - I still don't know what was so funny. But crazy laughter over tantrums ANY day.

Who is your hero? 

I don't like the concept of heros but there are lots of people who I admire for various things. It's generally people who don't let things hold them back. Things like being female in male-dominated fields, not apologising for being strong, very feminine AND clever (ex-boss) - I suppose you'd call it "owning it" and people who have things hard but get on with it regardless.

Very recently like yesterday, I chatted to a girl at work who will be working for current boss in Feb (!). She had a stroke in April, is in a demanding role, was on a big programme at work (you know these year-long things that kind of kill you) and still finished in the top 5 out of about 70 people. She kicked butt and you could see people were surprised to hear that she was one of the top 5 because she's quiet and unassuming in presence but darn it, I LOVE that kind of stuff. Inspiring!!!!

Bloggers who you would like to take part?

Oh no, I couldn't possibly inflict this on you but I will :)

Okay, how about  Louisa, MandyE and Lynette? (I'm randomly picking)

Did anything surprise you?

8 comments:

  1. Fort Knox?! Keeping a secret KILLS MY SOUL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No surprises actually

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this. Will play along later today ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you describe Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your answers! Am supposed to do this as well. Have so much to blog about! And no, not a single one of your answers surprised me. Am just thinking now I should try to get "My One Word".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you :) I enjoyed reading this - had to lol at your twitter comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL at your Twitter comment... you need to be connected to people who are connected to eachother to see the value.
    But then saying that there is a lot of noise... but it's easier to drown out than the whining on Facebook ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I'm busy doing mine right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails