Thursday, March 22, 2007

Annoyed

Now this is the thing that annoyed me so much last week.

First, some background…

My 30-year-old cousin died on 6 March because of a stomach ulcer gone wrong. While it was terrible, it did make me realize that I need to stop focusing so much on my weight, and just be grateful that I’m healthy and everything works perfectly. Except for the reproductive parts, that is.

A friend and I were emailing back and forth about her weight. She is convinced that she has a medical condition because she’s not losing weight. We’ve been over it all before and I don’t have patience anymore. I have told her that all those lattes and cappucinnos and milkshakes were adding the calories. It’s not just the food she eats. Anyway, I’m ranting…

I then told her that my cousin died last week. And exactly what I said above in the first paragraph – grateful….everything works….except for the infertility. So she goes YOU ARE NOT INFERTILE (like that, in caps). DON’T YOU BELIEVE IN GOD ANYMORE? YOU MUST BELIEVE THAT YOU WILL GET PREGNANT and so on, and so on.

So I said, please don’t shout…I can’t hear you when you scream. And I just said *sigh* this is why I can’t talk to Christians. You just don’t understand.

To which she took offence. But explained that caps lock was on, she was working in Excel, etc. Fine whatever, but it’s one key to press.

The thing is she doesn’t understand. She had her four kids at aged 20, 22, 24 and 26 – all of them were unplanned, pleasant surprises. They are super fertile.

After I explained that I do believe in God… blah blah blah… she asked for forgiveness because she didn’t want me to be cross. And up to this point, I really wasn’t angry. Sad, disappointed, but not angry. Yet.

Then she said, this is just who I am. I am straightforward and I thought you could take straight talk. Then I got angry.

Because in my opinion, that is just an excuse to be rude. I am also straightforward but the last time I looked in my Bible it does say to speak the truth in love. And I feel that as a friend she should be able at least empathise with where I’m at, and not try to be right. Even if I’ve never been through something, I always try to put myself in the other person’s shoes.

So that’s why I got angry.

Seeing as I'm on a blogging roll, I'll have to blog my take on the Christian thing too!

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, how annoying. i am so sorry for her lack of understanding and compassion. i'm sorry to hear about your cousin. i am glad you are well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm a christian but i'm not naive to think that just because you pray and pray about something doesn't mean it'll happen. sometimes you do have to have medicine intervene. your friend is being judgemental.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails