Wednesday, January 14, 2009

7 week ultrasound scan

I was doing my avoidance tactics this morning because suddenly it felt like if there was something wrong, being late for my appointment would delay the inevitable.

I know - crazy!

But despite my best efforts, I was only a few minutes late and of course, I still waited 10 - 15 minutes.

Finally it was my turn.

So up I jumped on the bed and when Dr J entered the room, he asked me how I was doing (I never know if they mean physically or emotionally or what - anyway!) and I said, "worried and anxious because I've been bleeding". So he said, "you're your own worst enemy" which is true.

Then Dr J put in that horrible thing and says, "please go empty your bladder" which I'd already did and told him so, but of course, they don't take any notice of my strop so I went and did it anyway.

I peed about 3 drops (or that's what it felt like) but apparently "oooh, yes, that's perfect now" when we tried again.

And this is what we saw...

TWO SACS which did not excite me because a sac does not always equal a heart-beating baby, now does it?

Dr J is very methodical and structured in his approach so he says to the nurse, okay, let's do the one on the left. 11.8 mm and then he clicked somewhere else, turned on the speakers and I heard the most amazing sound ever - the heartbeat. Fast and furious at 152 bpm.

Then we moved onto the right one. 11.7mm and a heartbeat of 161 bpm.

I'm amazed that two little things that tiny have such strong little heartbeats. So I'm calling them the kidney beans :) I love kidney beans, by the way.

When I look at these blobs, my heart goes to mush and I feel all fuzzy inside.

Oh, this is one of the best parts - apparently I have a really big placenta and he says that's probably why I've been bleeding a bit. That sets my mind at ease a bit.


After the whole thing was done he said, "well, you're going to have to start worrying about something else because these two are doing just fine".

But he wants to see me weekly until I have a new obgyn (I'm not going back to my old gynae - no trust) so now that's what I'm worrying about. Why does he want to see me weekly?

Then again, I thought about it today and it's not a bad thing to hear those cute heartbeats on a weekly basis.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! TWINS! Were you expecting multiples? I know with IVF it's always likely, but were you hoping for them or expecting to have them? I would be stoked. I really wanted twins and had a really high risk of having them, but they only saw one sac and baby when I had my ultrasound. I'm still beyond thrilled.

    And I'm glad the dr. eased your mind about the bleeding. I'm sure he just wants to see you weekly because twins are always more high risk and because you just came off of IVF, but, like you said, be glad you get to see your little babies weekly. I don't think I'll see mine again until April...

    Very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to go weekly too. I think our REs are just being careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh, this is so great. I'm very, very happy for you and your twins. It must be an amazing experience to hear the heartbeats after so much longing and worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, YES, I was expecting twins. It's always been my dream to have twin girls (I have a picture on my wardrobe to help keep it top of mind which i should post one of these days).

    And of course, because they transferred two embryos, it was always a possibility.

    Clio, yes, it was amazing. I feel so very, very grateful to be where I am. I still have to pinch myself because I can't believe it's me.

    Echloe, you're so right - they are taking NO chances whatsoever. I've been told no sex, no exercise, nothing. We are keeping these babies safe as we can (we is DH and me, plus the entire medical team of course)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YIPPEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails