Thursday, February 25, 2010

Help - what do I do with all the old baby bottles?



As you know, our babies are formula-fed.

They are now using big bottles so I have a stash of little ones (125 ml) and I have no idea what to do with them.

And no, I really don't want to just throw them away.... I really like re-using stuff. Even though they weren't expensive.

I've only had two ideas to recycle them so far:

  1. I filled one with tiny sweets, tied a bow around the neck and gave it to a friend with a "congratulations on your pregnancy" tag. It looked very cute - I should have taken a pic. Strangely I don't mind if OTHER people throw them away :)
  2. Home-made toys - got this idea from Andrea's blog - will fill some with pasta shapes, lentils, etc.

What else? Mandy P? Anyone?


**************************************

I saw a cute utensil holder that I was sure I could put to use somewhere but as I couldn't think of it in the store I started to leave.

I have a "rule" that if we don't know where something will go, we don't buy it. It doesn't always work but I will say that in 95% of cases I do actually follow my own rules :)

Anyway, I was about to leave when I got it - it can hold their bath toys! I don't like those mesh things you attach to the bathroom tiles - to me it feels messy. No offence if you use them.

So I went back to buy it. And here's what it looks like:


It's actually perfect because
  • the water can drain easily
  • it takes up very little space because it's tall and thin
  • it's cheap (R14,99 at Pep stores/ $2)
  • when the container gets too full some of the toys must go (another one of my rules - if it doesn't fit in the container, we declutter until it does)
What do you do with the bath toys?

6 comments:

  1. I also can't stand those hanging bags - I imagine mould smoulderings in there... eeew!!! Our toys are in a colander... and when it gets too full we purge!!! Scroll down in this post to have a look:

    http://www.se7en.org.za/2008/08/30/saturday-spot-the-splash-room

    Have a lovely day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of using the old bottles as a treat/gift. You could also use them to hold snacks in for the babies (say for church or something)or my first thought was a little piggy bank for their rooms. Lastly, you could fill them with something (like beans) to make noise-makers/toys out of. If I think of anything more creative, I'll let you know, but I like the idea of reusing them for baby-related purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.target.com/Boon-Bug-Pod-Bath-Toys/dp/B001IJ4N00/sr=1-7/qid=1267104082/ref=sr_1_7/176-0039471-3056674?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Aboon&page=1

    That is what we have for bath toys, its cute and holds stuff well. Clashes horribly with my bathroom but that's what doors are for! I am going to use my old bottles to start seedlings for the garden. I still use ours for outings. I take water and individual formula servings as snacks just incase we get a cranky baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.target.com/Boon-Bug-Pod-Bath-Toys/dp/B001IJ4N00/sr=1-7/qid=1267104082/ref=sr_1_7/176-0039471-3056674?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Aboon&page=1

    That is what we have for bath toys, its cute and holds stuff well. Clashes horribly with my bathroom but that's what doors are for! I am going to use my old bottles to start seedlings for the garden. I still use ours for outings. I take water and individual formula servings as snacks just incase we get a cranky baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Give them or sell them to someone else! The nipples must go in the trash/recycling but the bottles are fine to be reused by someone else once they are resterilized. We bought used bottles through our twins group and gave our bottles away when we were done.

    EcoRanger Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Laura - flog them off and make a few bucks :) Someone will buy them!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails