Saturday, February 27, 2010

*ahem* the weight gain

I still believe that some of the extra weight I'm lugging around has to do with my hormones but I've realised that nutrition and exercise (or lack thereof) also plays a part.

I used to belong to weigh-less about 4 years ago (in those days I wanted to lose about 5 kg and get to 52 kg - I made it to 54 kg and then stopped because our group leader left and it was too much of a schlep to find a new group) - in fact, that was the reason I could wear those short shorts in Thailand.

I still have the book and actually, we still eat the same way. I just don't weigh everything obsessively like I used to.

BUT when the weight started piling on, I hauled out the book and figured out what I'm doing wrong:

  • I don't eat enough protein (most days have 2 portions when i should have 3) - need to add another low-fat portion. The easiest for me is something like lentils, chick peas, kidney beans or cheese
  • I don't eat enough vegetables - again need to add a portion as I do have two portions easily
  • My carb portions are too big in the evening (this has always been my downfall) - do you know what 140 grams of pasta or rice look like? Tiny! And that's two complex carbs.

So I'm trying but it's going too slow for me - only have had about a 0.5 kg loss in 3 weeks. I know if I do it properly I can lose that in one week.

When I was on WL before, I had an excel spreadsheet that I used to plan a week's meals at a time. It would tell me where I wasn't eating enough so I knew I had to add more of this or that.

The thing with Weigh-Less is if you follow the formula, it works. You can't eat some of it; you have to eat it all. Most people think the less food you eat, the better but that's just not true.


The meal above?

2 complex carbs (Weigh-Less wraps), 2 protein (100 g lean, skinless chicken and 20 g cheese), 2 veg (onions, tomatoes, lettuce, grated carrots), 1 fat (1 Tbsp olive oil to stirfry the chicken).

I need to look through my back-up discs to find that spreadsheet!

Of course there's also the exercise thing. Two people recently have told me I need to exercise more if I want to lose weight - the biokineticist and doctor who are based at our work.

I know this but I HAVE TWINS! Oy!

Just getting to the gym twice a week is a miracle in itself. But I suppose I could do some weights here at home while I watch the Bold and the Beautiful :), my relaxation.

I don't want to make excuses for my weight because then I'll get used to being this size. Yes, I have had a twin pregnancy but so what - if Heather can look fabulous, then so can I :)

I still have not bought any new clothes and I don't intend to...

So I'm at 62,5 now - I want to get down to pre-fertility meds weight of 57 kg. Of course I'd be in heaven if ever I could get down to 55 kg again but as the doctor told me, I'm OLD and my metabolism is slow...

Is anyone else out there wanting to lose some weight?
I want to check in with someone every week (it's a bit boring to write about my eating on the blog all the time..........)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, but I seriously need to tone up and I'm having the same problem of not finding time to exercise now that I have twins. Any ideas, coach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to jump on the weight lose band wagon. I need to find out an appropriate weight for my size. Pre-IVF was under-weight and very twiggy, immediately after babies I was a healthy weight, and now I'm bordering over-weight! Staying at home is dangerous to the diet! I need to find a site that will tell me what I should weigh! Now that the weather is warming up I definitely need to get it in gear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle to get enough protein too, so I have a bowl of lentils and veggies every night before bed. My Sparkpeople nutrition tracker recently told me I got too much fibre one day. I love vegetables, and have discovered that my diet is lacking in everything else!

    I've found exercise (cardio and weight) DVDs to be my saving grace. There are a number in which you can use your babies for resistance. Have you considered those? Just searching for "baby exercise dvd" on Amazon or your online seller of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...as I was just about to lose my mind this January (after getting weighed at the doctor's office), these are the changes I made:

    * Serious carb restriction
    * More veggies/fruits (less juice)
    * No carbs if I eat dinner late at night...just meat and veg.
    * Eating earlier rather than waiting until after the twins went to bed.
    * Less fast food...admittedly, I imbibed in this too many times per week!
    * Serious increase in cardio. I now spin/cycle at least 2x per week (even if it means getting up early on weekend and Husband watching the babies rather than lounging like I really want to).
    * At least two/three more gym visits for elliptical and weights...I've also gotten up to 90 push-ups (real push-ups) in one day (sets of ten). I had to work my way up though.

    I have lost 9 of the 12 pounds that I was trying to lose since January. I have NOT decreased my wine intake...I'm not crazy! My gym has a daycare which helps a ton...does yours? It has taken an immense commitment on my part, but that's also why I recently purchased my bathing suits for the summer...they're my motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more thing...even though I have lost the weight, my stomach still looks like an elephant's knee...I don't think anything but surgery will change that! Ugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work getting back to your nutritional roots ;)

    As you know I'm going thru the crash course on carb counting and I'd forgotten just how many carbs are in things ala a serve of pasta. Crikey. Agreed, protein is key too - keeps the hunger pangs at bay.

    Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails