Tuesday, February 02, 2010

money and other randomness

I just finished doing our January budget and am happy to report that things are looking up!

I never thought I'd be happy to be paying R5 500 a month on babies but when you put it in context it looks great.

We've now had 6 full months of baby expenses and I'm horrified to say we've spent R52 500.

That's $7 000.

Horrified!

Only God knows where all that money came from because it's definitely not in our monthly expense budget. Oh yes, that's right - my annual bonus at work and a depleted joint savings account!

We had 3 months of between R10 and R12 000 (the night nanny months) but thank God those days are over.

I still exceeded the budget by a couple of hundred but I'm thinking I may have to adjust the budget.

This month I paid the nanny overtime to come in two Saturdays for a few hours each time. This was so I could get some work done and that worked out quite well.

She's also keen (more money for her) so it's win-win.

I may have to do this for a few months while I find my groove working/ babies/ business because I'm getting behind on my household stuff and my freezer meals are running out.


*************

Cooked up a storm today - mostly baby food (there are now 22 baby meal portions in my freezer, neatly labelled of course) but also some Weigh-Less meals for me. Was totally inspired reading about Sarah's weight loss today and had to get moving on the food while still motivated.


*************

The other night I decided I needed a treat and ordered myself (and a friend, but she doesn't know) some jewellery on Etsy. Can't WAIT for the pieces to arrive.


*************

Am reading the Baby Whisperer. Why, oh why, did I not read this book sooner? Am LOVING it.


So... are you having a good week thus far?


P.S. Have decided to go to the Elton John concert - after all, it's on my life list! :)

P.P.S. It's POURING with rain as I type this - LOVELY - and now I'm off to bed.

P.P.P.S. Must blog about the nanny!

6 comments:

  1. Argh, I posted and it didn't go thru :(

    The short version -
    Budget: I bet you've still done it much more reasonably that you could have done - I know people who set aside US$8k for 1 baby and that was just the set up costs. I felt really cheap comparatively.

    Baby food - impressive! I freeze ice cubes worth and then pop them in containers in the freezer. Current fave is potato, carrot, silverbeet and pea.

    Elton - v glad you're going - you won't regret it :)

    Baby Whisperer - I love that book too. Except in our house because of the reflux it's AE(cuddle)SY. Still works!

    Good week here because the sun is shining (seriously you'd love the weather here ;) ), the house is tidy, Minxy's sleeping, we have nowhere to be today so we can just chill... perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book is awesome...mine was opened to the table of cries (probably not the actual name of it) for the first 3 months...saved my sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your week is upbeat. Mine is terrible. It's 9:30 pm and I'm still working and I had to wait an HOUR to see my OB today until I pitched a fit and told them I needed to see someone else. Wish I could to that to my clients. And we figured out that with kid number three our nanny costs (not including kid food, medicine, clothing) is going to be north of $50k. Ugh. Which I guess why am I still working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having a fairly good week, too! Am truly motivated to get stuff done around the house, so I'm getting little chunks done each day!

    Seriously, I feel stupid asking, but with the baby food... do you just boil the fruits/veggies, the freeze them? Also, how many mL in each container? I asked you this before in your previous post, so I guess I should check to see if you responded on the comment section! LOL

    Wow... seeing the cost you've incurred makes me extemely proud of you for doing this debt-free (woohoo) & humbled. No complaining of money-related issues for us! :)

    And good for you to go to the concert! I hope you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, you're not the first person to ask - I will do a lovely detailed post later this week. SORRY! You did ask before ;)

    Saffy, oh YES, as you know I'm cheap so probably most of that money was necessities!

    Mommy Esq - oh my WORD. I think I'd have a heart attack at those costs. Thank God I live in South Africa.

    Rebecca, there's a table of cries? Must go look and investigate LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny that no matter where you are in the world, some things are still the same. Last night I was working on our budget too. Things are looking OK. Of course they could always be better.

    I was also making baby food yesterday too. I have some more to make today. Yesterday I made sweet potatoes with green beans. Today I'm going to make brown rice cereal with peas and corn.

    I got a treat last night, ordering some seeds for starting a garden last night. I'm excited to have those arrive and start the growing season.

    I haven't read The Baby Whisperer, but I do think it's awesome you're going to the concert!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails