Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The easiest check-up yet







She is now done. So off she goes.

Last Wednesday D and I took the kids for their 9-month check-up.

We didn't realise how much they'd grown until we got there and the receptionists are all, "they are SO BIG", etc, etc.

I realised that it had been 3 months since the last doctor's visit.

The last time each of us had a baby in our arms because I can't stand the schlep of lugging a pram around for a few minutes - much easier to just grab a baby.

Also, much more fun to hold a warm, sweet-smelling baby. Even though they wriggle.

This time, D held Connor and I let Kendra loose so she crawled up and down the reception area. She was so fascinated with her reflection in the very clean floor tiles (much cleaner than my own kitchen, then again, it's a hospital).

We always do Kendra first (ladies first...) and once she'd been assessed, I let her loose again to crawl around to her heart's content. She loved it and it was great to be able to concentrate on Connor's assessment without a screaming, wriggly girl in my arms.

Apparently Dr S's office is full of interesting things to look at like door stoppers!

I really only had two things on my list - what a difference to my usual pages of notes (and I'm not even joking - aren't I fun?) - the food strike and why is K waking before 12?

We ran into my friend M at church this weekend. She told us that her daughter (who is 6 hours older than my two) had to have an MRI and when they had to sedate her, something weird happened with her lungs so the procedure was cancelled until they figure out what's going on.

I am so blessed to have healthy children.

Anyway, the point of all that? I said to D afterwards that Dr S must be thinking about me, "there are people with REAL issues and you're talking to me about a FOOD STRIKE?" as M also sees Dr S.

The very kind Dr S kept a straight face about the food strike and basically said that they go through all that and just to keep trying things. No great shakes.

About Kendra? "It's not that bad, is it?" about her waking before 12 at night.

And... actually it's not.

I again reminded him that ALL MY FRIENDS' KIDS are sleeping through and he said straight out, "people lie" and to stop concerning myself with all that.

About milestones and the things I'm actually NOT concerned about (strangely), C is a bit behind on his actual age which is not a problem as they were two months' prem.

K is ahead and will definitely be walking before a year.

He did tell us about some exercises to do with Connor to encourage him to start crawling - I think we did them one day and then Connor started the rocking. I don't know if it worked because his personality is such that when he's ready, he just DOES.

Next appointment is at 1 year. 1 YEAR! Goodness, that's scary.

Here are the stats:

Kendra

Weight...............................6.6 kg (still 80% of where she should be based on her birth weight)
Height................................70 cm (50th percentile for correct age!!!)
Head circumference....43.7 cm (also 50th percentile for correct age!!!)

What does that mean?

Kendra is very light but she's right where she should be on everything else. No surprise since the only time she's still is when she's eating or asleep. I wish I had her energy.

Connor

Weight...............................9.3 kg (50th percentile for correct age*)
Height................................74 cm (75th percentile for correct age)
Head circumference....43.7 cm (also 75th percentile for correct age)

*hmmm, getting a little bit tired of people saying, "but he's so big!". He is PERFECT for his actual age!

Connor is tall and has a head full of brains :)

P.S. This is my post for the 30-minute challenge

8 comments:

  1. Just a warning that they stop talking about "corrected age" at the one year mark. But that doesn't mean that size issues won't linger for longer. Just remember we all come with different sizes and abilities. I could never be as organized as you and maybe Connor won't crawl until he is a year old (Penny didn't). Penny had gross motor physical therapy and it was kind of a joke - they'll do what they want to - but do put a few things "just out of reach" to help encourage him. It's amazing how quickly time passes - my kids are a full year older than yours and I can remember them at 9 months like it was yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're seriously cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What little cuties! I love the picture of their hands touching...awww!!

    It sounds like both are doing really well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine are 10 months and no where NEAR sleeping through the night. Dylan wakes up once or twice to eat and goes right back, he's the easy one. Ryan, ugh. He is the worst sleeper ever and I swear he has insomnia. He's up half the night every night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. D does sleep thru - no lies - but like I say, she challenged us in other ways like the 6 months or so of chronic projectile treats ;) It does sound like they're doing really well indeed. What were the exercises recommended for C?

    Is your friend M the one that you visited at the hospital earlier in the evening before you headed back there yourself? That's too cute if it is. Not very cute about her daughter tho - poor lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog through Krystyn... LOVE IT!!

    I am mommy of almost 2 1/2 b/g twins and it's amazing how time flies. And as far as size is concerned... mine were born at 35 weeks 6 days and they are bigger then some kids their age :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey- this is the first time I saw your new layout. I like it a lot. My favorite colors! I love how much your kids are growing and I love seeing their little personalities in their pictures. I always have to compare Josiah to Connor since they are so close in size. Based on my most recent weigh in for Josiah (last week) he is just over 1 lb heavier than Connor. I don't have a height measurement since 6 months, but he was 27.75 inches back then. I should try to measure him to find out what he is now out of curiosity.

    One year is sneaking up very quickly on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can one refer to a layout as sexy? As in - HOT??! Because if you can, this is it. Very nice, and like the kids, worth the wait :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails