Saturday, May 15, 2010

Letting go - part 2

I can't believe I'm the only one with internal stuff I'm working on.

Share!

Anyway, I'm still working on letting go.

As I said, it's very practical now but I will move onto bigger and more important stuff like feelings, commitments that don't suit me, people that drain me, jobs, etc, etc.

I'm a firm believer in small steps.

So, I've also been trying to declutter my blogs in my google reader.

I started on Thursday with 76 and I'm now down to 60. I should have left number 61 on but I wanted a nice round number :)


To put that in perspective, my comfort number is around 40 - 45. By that I mean I can get through them daily, I can comment on about half of them and I don't feel like I'm just scanning.

Remember everyone doesn't post daily so it's manageable to me if I clear my GR daily.

I'm going to revel in that number for a few days and then there are two I need to add as I pop in regularly; they're just not officially in my GR.

Yes, it was hard to let go of blogs especially since I'm so curious to find out what's going on in other people's lives.

Some were easy - I probably followed after reading one good post and now it's all blah blah blah, but some were difficult as I'm still interested (like all the house and creative blogs I read) but had to make choices.

How many subscriptions are in your Google Reader?


And what's your comfort number?

P.S. One day left to enter the giveaway :)

10 comments:

  1. I was trying to delete a blog for every new one that I follow, but I got all confused. I follow way too many to make any sense! Sometimes I see a new one and say that I'll just follow for a little bit...to see if I like it...then 3 months later can't remember which one it is! I think I'm going to slim down my Reader too...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I went from 143 to 117...I have problems. Some of the blogs had gone to private setting and some no longer existed...I need to get under 100. I'm a quick reader, but no one has time for that many blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:30 pm

    I just counted and its 69!! Never knew I had so many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 65, and it's starting to get a little overwhelming... I totally understand weeding some of them out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have WAY too many. But I don't want to 'unfollow' people... it kind of feels rude. I now wish that I had set up all my following to be anonymous. D'oh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hopeless at using the 'follow' function and usually do it anonymously - not to be a freaky chick, just because I do :) And actually, I don't "follow" you but read you more than anyone ;) Shows how much that really means huh?

    I have my 'top 10' blogs I read at least a few times per week, then a stack that I get to a few times a month. Works for me. I don't like GR - I tried it, but I miss the pretty stuff on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only read yours (if I have time) coz I have that subscription thingie that comes to my email... I have 4 other design blogs that also come to my email but I don't read them. (You know where I live!!) You know I'm pretty strict with spending LIMITED time here, so if my 1 hour is up, then I don't read the blogs . For instance tonight I got 25 emails and I deleted about half of the blogs that come in as I just don't see myself getting through them fast enough. Maybe I need to go on a speed reading course? IS there such a thing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have 30! Hope I am still on your list! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nat, I want to be you when I grow up :)

    I need to get stricter with my time. The problem is it's my stress relief :)

    Yes, there are speed-reading courses. But I wouldn't bother as that doesn't gel with your "living intentionally" mission statement. If you're speed reading, you aren't really living intentionally, are you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got way too many - over 170. But I get stuff like new books at my public library, and the weather. And probably 30 - 50 of those no longer are active.

    I weed it out once in a while. When it becomes overwhelming, I go to the back and pull up all the articles that each feed has given me in that month, which gives me anywhere from 1 - 60 or so entries. Then I can get a good feel for the material it is sending and know if I want to keep it or not.

    Also, if I don't get the whole article in Google Reader, and I have to click through to read it - I almost never keep those.

    I often add big families and new baby blogs - I love reading about kids and solutions other Mom's have for homeschooling and running a home and spiritual wisdom and how to pass that on to my children.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails