Sunday, May 09, 2010

So, mother's day

I've had the weirdest feeling this mother's day.

It hasn't been AT ALL like I imagined it to be.

Partly due to the infertility factor (yes, I probably should get over it already but I'm just so very aware that there are TONS of people all over the world with hearts still empty, longing for a little baby). Also, in church when they prayed for all the "mothers" I remembered how for YEARS I used to get all teary and look away as (it seemed like) everyone got to stand except for me.

Then, I have this wild thing called expectations. Somehow I expect D to read my mind and see what I want. I think I'm spoiled because he actually does read my mind 90% of the time and this time he didn't. I got a mug of tea which was cold when eventually I could drink it because I was also surprised with a very-alert Kendra who was bounding all over our bed. She is an accident waiting to happen (I shouldn't say that but I'm surprised half the time that she is still intact).

And then the third thing. Yesterday I texted some of my friends asking what their plans were for Mother's Day and was it bad that all I wanted was to be left alone so I could sleep and have some alone time.

Well, 3 of the 4 said they wanted the same but couldn't really ask for it.

I did.

I told D that we'd do the whole church thing and then after lunch, he should take the kids to his mother's place while fetching the high chairs from my friend so I could have a few hours to myself.

He was fine with that...kind of...but his mother was a bit taken aback when we told her at church. She didn't say anything outright but her face said it all. Like "how weird are you?!!!"

Anyway, I had some time to myself so I read a bit, cooked, cleaned and got stuck into organising our photos.

And best of all, I missed them terribly so was very glad (and recharged) when the 3 of them got home.

Which is exactly the point, isn't it?

Did you have a good day? What did you do?


I have exactly 10 minutes to plan my week (!) - have to plan if I'm going to get through that massive to-do list this month LOL

P.S. I just read Heather's post and that's exactly it - I need to enjoy the moments throughout the year and not pin my hopes on one particular day. You are SOOO clever, Heather.

P.P.S. Don't forget to enter the giveaway for the $40 gift voucher

5 comments:

  1. Dude, a few hours free of everyone to get on and get everything tidied up and a bit of time for me? That'd be bliss. I love them all but miss tidydom.

    Agree with you wholeheartedly about the 'weird factor' around Mother's Day. It's not a 'survivor's guilt' (I don't know how you term it when you move from one camp to another - you'll know the word!) but some kind of empathy.

    Expectations. Yes. I did okay - I lowered them :p I bought myself a present which worked well. I didn't really care about a present - just needed an excuse to buy a new camera!

    We yum cha'd for Mother's Day. A huge family table of us all. A nice thing to do. D didn't lose the plot. Phew.

    K cracks me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy first Mother's Day to you! Even not having endured the IF struggle, it feels a little weird to stand up in church and be recognized for being a mom. I think my thing is...sometimes it's still weird to me that I AM a mother, it's just a little surreal sometimes.

    And by the way, I don't know of a single twin mama who would not understand wanting a few hours of peace and quiet for Mother's Day! I got to take a nap this afternoon, and it was heavenly. I also got the gift I asked (ok, begged) for, so it was a pretty wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to think it's different for the women of our mothers' generation. Even though she looked at you like you were a weirdo, she probably later thought, "shit...why didn't I think of that?" She's just jealous, no?

    I got alone time during naptime...otherwise, you can tune in for my "recap" in tomorrow's post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you liked my Mother's Day post. I hope you had a great one! And I think it was a great idea for a little time alone. My DH knows I love alone time, although the bigger our family gets, the less I know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I really wanted was a nap and some alone time which H had all planned - until ,y mom decided to visit till after 5! Thus nothing for me due to her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails