Monday, June 20, 2011

How to write your life list

Jayme asked a great question in the comments about what you put on your life list, etc. Julia then added to that so I thought I would answer those questions here.

When I put together my original life list, I answered these questions:
  • what have I always wanted to do?
  • where do I want to travel?
  • what experiences do I want to have?
  • what do I not want to regret?
Then as I see cool things on the internet, I add them on if they excite me or stir up my passion in any way.

Because this is my passion - helping people find the time to do these life list things - I had a quick browse on the internet looking for some good links which is less about me being altruistic but more about me being indulgent :)

First I went to my favourite life lister, Maggie Mason of Mighty Girl and found her post on how to write a list

My favourite part is number 10, this excerpt

"Make it your game. Your life list is a living document, and you make the rules. You can decide that the first rule of Life List is you don’t talk about Life List. You can add items to the list, or delete them, whenever you want. You may feel like you’ll never have 100 ideas, but once you do, you’re bound to think of more and wish you’d added them. And you should add them. Your objective isn’t to cross everything off, or hit the finish line, it’s to collect rich experiences for yourself." - Maggie Mason



I love what she says because that's exactly how I feel about goals.

Even if you don't get to cross all the things off, you are better for the striving.

Same thing with my 36 things list (see top of page). I won't have done some of those things but at least I had intention and focus over this last year.

I read LauraC's earlier this year and she said she crossed 18 things off her 36 things list.

But remember, if she hadn't made that list maybe those 18 wouldn't even be crossed off.

She's led a far richer life having had the list.

That's why I'm so passionate about people making lists.

I want you to live life full out and with passion. Dream big dreams and also some little ones :)

So please write your lists - just start. Even if there are only 10 things to start it off.

Keep your list with you in the car, next to your bed, in your handbag and keep adding to it as you think of new things.

One thing on my original list was to have children. :)

The yellow door is so representative for me of life list stuff as I took this pic in Ireland (Clonakilty) which was another thing on my life list. I was the crazy tourist taking pics of all the doors in Dublin.


here are some more links on life lists

Chookooloonks

Scarlet Lily

Have fun reading.

For those who are not into life lists, tell me why not. I am insanely curious :)

Otherwise, are you going to do one? Have I convinced you yet?

9 comments:

  1. Ok so it's time to haul out that old diary I had my list in and revise/rework it. I know of one or two things I want to add to it. And some I need to take off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I finally did it! I came up with a list of 40 (as that is my age), but it ended up being a list of 41! Thank you for all your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I will be typing it up, cleaning it up and posting it today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, that's my other new blog it is posting under.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...I have never done a life list, and I couldn't really explain why. I think it's that when I am faced with a challenge of creating a list, I freeze. I immediately forget anything I intended to write, and I can only come up with silly, generic things. So I would almost have to intentionally NOT think about it to come up with stuff for my list. Does that make any sense at all?

    I do enjoy the resolution lists I have been making in January, even though I haven't done too well this year, so maybe I could start a life list--a "master resolution list", of sorts.

    Thanks for the inspiration...I will have to check out some of your links!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am by no means against life lists but I have never actually created one for a number of reasons, distraction being one of them. And the fact that the last few years have literally been all about survival and getting through one day at a time. Having a life list just seemed like such a "luxury" for someone like me. It felt like I was just setting myself up for more disappointment and failure in my life and I didn't need a reminder of more stuff that I couldn't achieve even if it was stuff that was reasonably easy and attainable. I also felt that I needed to get the basics in my life right first. I am currently drafting something similar to your 36 things but am struggling a bit. I want it to be stuff that I will actually be able to reasonably do as opposed to something far-fetched that probably won't happen at this stage. Am struggling to get the balance right.
    But, as soon as I am ready I will post it. Hopefully in the next week or so.
    Love the links that you posted here.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can identify with what Julia said- like if I had made a list a couple years ago, I'd have wanted to put 'have one more baby that lives' on it... and the idea of never crossing that one off would have just made me nauseous. Of course I ended up with two more live babies, but for awhile there, my life was pretty rough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had a formal life list but you have me convinced I need to have one written down. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no idea why I feel uncomfortable with doing one of these, but for somereason I do! Hmmmm, something to think about!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails