Sunday, June 26, 2011

So what do you do when it's ice cold in Jhb?

Yesterday my friend Caren and I had a family date.

Unfortunately we were meant to be at an outside play area and since it was literally FREEZING in Jhb, she didn't want to take her twins out and about in the cold.

This date has been planned for about 6 - 7 weeks and we were not about to cancel so the two of us decided to go shopping by ourselves :)

Because that's what we do in Jhb when the weather's bad - we shop.

Since I had to go to the other side of the world, D and I made an impromptu plan for him and the babies to visit MIL since she's one offramp away from where I had to be.

It worked out beautifully.

First I didn't get lost (I am clearly doing well with this directions thing) and then Caren and I got to shop in peace without babies/ husbands. The guys also had quality time with their kids.

* best thing I bought - my circle punch! I'd ordered one from a place near to me and am still waiting probably 5 weeks later. I was SOOO happy when I saw it, you have NO idea.

Caren and I had a great time and I got all the party stuff except serviettes which I got today
When I collected my family at MIL's house, she said, "you should go shopping with Caren more often so I can see my grandchildren".

Well, well, well.

Next time maybe D and I should drop kids and go for a nearby date?

After we fed and put them to bed (we skipped baths - it was just way too cold), I got stuck into playing with my circle punch and...

I am now done with the party favours. Yay!

They look very cute if I do say so myself :)

But who knew I'd 1) get excited about a circle punch and 2) find playing with it so satisfying?!

What did you do this weekend that was fun?

P.S. Today I went to go price sewing machines. No, I can't sew :) but I desperately want to make cute things. I figured with the free money coming my way, I should get one, right?

12 comments:

  1. Go for the sewing machine for sure! I have found sewing a lot less scary than I thought it would be. Especially great when your children start having numerous dress up days at school!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh...I love paper punches and such! I really hope you'll post pics of all your party stuff when it's all said and done...can't wait to see! :) :)

    And take you MIL up on that offer! Stat! Do you think she'd mind if I drop mine off there, too? :)

    And fun for me this weekend? I had lunch with a very dear friend yesterday...at one of my favorite sandwich places...AND I had tea with another dear friend tonight after I got the girls down. It was a super busy weekend, but a good one!

    So glad you enjoyed your shopping time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had such an awesome time with your friend and you should really take it up with your MIL to leave the kids there. That is surely an invitation.
    We also just stayed at home due to it being so cold here in PTA as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had lunch at Spur for Camerons birthday and then played 30 seconds and UNO :)

    My mom is sending my sewing machine back with David when the kids come home - I also can't sew but really want to try figure it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had some free girl-shopping time!
    I'm sure you'll have a total ball with a sewing machine - especially with the great step-by-step how to.s and videos too. I love hunting down future projects/ideas.... Now to put them into action and remind my poor neglected sewing machine that it is still loved...

    ReplyDelete
  6. DancingIntherain - I'm thinking things with straight edges, not dresses, but who knows?

    Laura, I'm jealous :) And when my gran died, my sister got the sewing machine. Okay, granted she was actually sewing things at the time but now? I'd LOVE to have my gran's machine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sewing is so easy! Definitely look for a not-so-expensive model. It doesn't need to do anything fancier than a straight stitch. My first sewing machine my MIL picked up for me at a yard sale and she had someone she knows do some maintenance on it. I think she spent a total of $35 on it for me. She's so nice!

    It was a bit rainy and cooler this weekend here (for the summer), but you know DH and I were spending some quality time together and going on our whole weekend date before we have to go back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait...your MIL actually said that? Out loud?? That is amazing.

    I want to go shopping with a girlfriend. I am jealous!

    This weekend? First movie with the Crazies, pool time, hanging out, building things with Daddy...fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally forgot to post about the BBQ we had with friends where we actually maintained conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rebecca, real conversations are AWESOME! And first movie too? you had a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Freek it was cold! Gosh I wish I had a MIL near too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky you to get some girlie shopping time. I HOPE that you will take your MIL up on her offer.x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails