Saturday, June 25, 2011

Getting my craft on - no-sew blankets


I saw these no-sew blankets on Barbara's blog years and years ago - we were far away from having children so I just mentally filed it away. (BTW, once you're there, look for recipes in the sidebar - I can recommend the Chicken Divan)

My children had quite a few fleece blankets when they were first born (this house is cold and we had prem kids...).

Now that they're bigger the blankets don't quite cover them and I've been using them to place over their legs when we read.

But then I had a bright idea.

I took two blankets, did the no-sew tying and voila, a big blanket that fits them again.

And the best part? It literally took about 5 - 10 minutes.

Granted, I'm not much of a measurer - I'm of the "winging it" club.

Here are the steps of the "tutorial" for what it's worth :)

Lay two blankets on top of one another, neatly so they fit and are easy to cut.

Start cutting even widths - I did mine about 2- 2.5 cm (1 inch) about 5 - 6 cm deep (2 inches).




(and that's when my camera died - more pics tonight once recharged)

The cutest part of me "crafting" was the kids' reactions.

They both wanted chairs at the dining room table and sat absolutely still watching me cut and then tie the ends closed.

When I was done, Kendra exclaimed, "pretty" so that made it all worth it.

Connor took his blanket and told me to put it on (drape it around him), and he then ran around the house with the blanket like a cape. Too cute.

I think they approve!

Some more no-sew fleece tutorials:

blanket

scarf

Isn't this easy?

What have you made lately?

4 comments:

  1. I'm starting to get my craft on TODAY. I went to the habby and knit shop (to pick up wool and some other odds) and the old hags who work there were soooo cool. They are very excited that I'm going to knit and told me that I must PLEASE come back to them if I get stuck with the knitting. With U-tube's help, I have cast on 64 stitches so far. Was not too bad. Now to learn purl stitch. But it will have to wait because I have to go with the kids to a party quickly.
    Love the blankets...btw.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got some of these as baby gifts and used them every.single.day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice blanket idea!
    Hmm, I haven't actually made anything in far too long but the next project is kinda-sorta planned to be a fabric banner to hang in front of our one church keyboard -- a "modesty banner" if you will :)
    Will definitely share once it comes together. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to make these but just never have! Love the idea....love the checkerboard! Way to get your craft on :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment and filling my love tank. I appreciate it!

I'd love to answer your email so please make sure your email address is enabled. In Blogger, go to Edit Profile, and under Privacy, tick the 3rd block and then Save Profile :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails